A what?
Dini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 11:31 PM   #43
RCC Addict

Default Re: FOFF: Why Not Nitro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dini View Post
A what?
Really?? You need to google it for sure if you don't know what it is.Better yet go to youtube. It's the ultimate "scale" engine. It's a working V 8 gas engine that's like 1/4 scale. You can get them with blowers and everything. They're really cool.. I seen one at a trade show in a 1:4 scale 32 ford street rod. Working carbs, Blower, headers, Just like a real full sized engine. The thing was crazy...
T I N Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:40 AM   #44
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by T I N Y View Post
I think the Savage has an aftermarket one.

Think it would handle 4 HP?
Old 10-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #45
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Really?? You need to google it for sure if you don't know what it is.Better yet go to youtube. It's the ultimate "scale" engine. It's a working V 8 gas engine that's like 1/4 scale. You can get them with blowers and everything. They're really cool.. I seen one at a trade show in a 1:4 scale 32 ford street rod. Working carbs, Blower, headers, Just like a real full sized engine. The thing was crazy...

I think I have seen those. I didn't recall the name right off hand though. Sounds cool, but not really what I would be trying to achieve with it.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:14 AM   #46
Rock Crawler

Why Not Nitro

Thunder Tiger : First off a clutch. You may need a custom one. You can try the rc pulling world. The UK guys are building awesome pulling rigs and they need a better clutch than an FOFF.

Reverse: If it where me I would mount small sealed electric motor with a one way bearing. Just enough get unstuck to back down off the hill.

Tranny: Everybody is very clear that a nitro glow plug engine have no bottom end. I would use a three speed with the same design as the on road or off road nitro guys are running just bigger . I would not use A tranny that I shifted. Like from the radio. I would have it set up to punch the throttle and let her shift.

Dini (Oregon ???) I live 50 miles south of Portland if so. buddy I believe the first step would be to figure out a clutch for that bad boy.

I think that for a start. I would look at the for sale section or what ever and find a older 1/8 scale nitro buggy like a Kyosho Inferno ect....Go play with that and see how you like it. They are pretty cheap. Bonus you would have something to play with it while you are building the big one .

If you are in Portland Oregon. Take the drive south to Florence. There are 180 ft soft sand dunes (not sand lake). Acres of dunes which are off limits to 1 to 1 rigs. Just you and your foff.

I bought a L8ight (always used) and some paddles. Instant foff. I dont think you could find a better platform than a 1/8 scale buggy for an foff rig for the money.

Good luck Dini I hope you complete this nitro rig.

PM me if you ever plan to go south to the big dunes let me know

Evan
SlickRockSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 10:39 AM   #47
Rock Stacker

would a nitro rig overheat with all the pullin and spinning without alot of highspeed air to keep it cool?
HONCHO22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 02:14 AM   #48
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRockSpider View Post
Why Not Nitro

Thunder Tiger : First off a clutch. You may need a custom one. You can try the rc pulling world. The UK guys are building awesome pulling rigs and they need a better clutch than an FOFF. I know of Thunder Tiger. They made the EK4 and the EB4. Ek was the "truck" IIRC and the Eb was the "buggy". That EK4 came with a .70 heli engine and hauled serious a$$! Do you have any info on these UK guys and where they are sourcing their clutches?

Reverse: If it where me I would mount small sealed electric motor with a one way bearing. Just enough get unstuck to back down off the hill. Great idea. I had envisioned something like a car starter where the pinion gear would retract.

Tranny: Everybody is very clear that a nitro glow plug engine have no bottom end. I would use a three speed with the same design as the on road or off road nitro guys are running just bigger . I would not use A tranny that I shifted. Like from the radio. I would have it set up to punch the throttle and let her shift. That is exactly what I was thinking. Stab the throttle and let 'er shift it it's own.

Dini (Oregon ???) I live 50 miles south of Portland if so. buddy I believe the first step would be to figure out a clutch for that bad boy. Yes Oregon.

I think that for a start. I would look at the for sale section or what ever and find a older 1/8 scale nitro buggy like a Kyosho Inferno ect....Go play with that and see how you like it. They are pretty cheap. Bonus you would have something to play with it while you are building the big one . I have a Duratrax MT, well, at least what started out as that. It's only a 2wd though. But it does haul a$$ when it gets traction! In fact with the clutch tight it will wheel stand at half throttle, which is pretty impressive for a heavy rig like that.

If you are in Portland Oregon. Take the drive south to Florence. There are 180 ft soft sand dunes (not sand lake). Acres of dunes which are off limits to 1 to 1 rigs. Just you and your foff. One of my favorite places to ride my YFZ450, Florence. Winchester is my favorite so far. The cat box (it's what I call Sand Lake) isn't bad for a short day or weekend trip. I know of some great places that are far away from most of the idiots there that would be perfect for an FOFF run. I have actually done some of the best riding I have ever done at Sand Lake in the off season (winter). When a nasty storm comes through it makes the dunes steep and deep with extra sharp razorbacks. Usually we ride all year long, rain or shine. I have even ridden at the cat box with snow on the ground, which is pretty rare.

I bought a L8ight (always used) and some paddles. Instant foff. I dont think you could find a better platform than a 1/8 scale buggy for an foff rig for the money.

Good luck Dini I hope you complete this nitro rig.
The want is definately there. Actually doing it may be another thing.

PM me if you ever plan to go south to the big dunes let me know
I'm thinking St. Anthony dunes in Idaho should be the real test!

I'd shoot you a PM for sure if I head down south.

Evan
Quote:
Originally Posted by HONCHO22 View Post
would a nitro rig overheat with all the pullin and spinning without alot of highspeed air to keep it cool?
Possibly. You can fatten up the air/fuel mixture a bit to help keep it cool though.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:33 AM   #49
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Possibly. You can fatten up the air/fuel mixture a bit to help keep it cool though.
Yea I would run on the fat side for a while to see how how she will run. I machine a extra large head sink. Well if you go to Florance most of the time it is blowing a little or a lot. So cooling my not be a big of an issue.

I'm thinking St. Anthony dunes in Idaho should be the real test!

I have never been. But the dunes look huge.

One reason the Oregon coast dunes are great is that they change over night (wind). Some of the dunes are made of sliding soft sand. The max angle is 42 degrees for a sliding sand dune. Steep and soft deep sand allot of fun

Do you have any info on these UK guys and where they are sourcing their clutches?

Mostly I have pics. There is a USA based truck and tractor pulling association that might have some info on clutches.

I have MS. My weekends can be lost for no reason. Please PM me. I will meet you at "the cat box" or Florance, and or Winchester Bay. If I feel good enough.

Let me know

Evan
Old 10-18-2012, 12:08 PM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Too rich and they lag horribly. Too fat of head and temp tuning can be misleading, I've seen a couple motors with cool heads run too lean to effectively lubricate the motor internals.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 01:52 PM   #51
Pebble Pounder

If someone can make a 1/4 scale grave digger I think a foff with a Conley would be the greatest think since sliced bread
danmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 03:37 PM   #52
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
Too rich and they lag horribly. Too fat of head and temp tuning can be misleading, I've seen a couple motors with cool heads run too lean to effectively lubricate the motor internals.

Something to watch. I have stuck many a piston.

Evan
Old 10-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickRockSpider View Post

Something to watch. I have stuck many a piston.

Evan
Didn't wanna admit it but same here
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #54
Pebble Pounder

I'm surprised I haven't. I have ported my carb and "shaved" the head before with great results. I have also done a little port matching on the carb and exhaust. One trick I started doing before they offered them for sale was to turn all the excess material off the flywheel for faster revs. That can make a big difference.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:17 AM   #55
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I'm surprised I haven't. I have ported my carb and "shaved" the head before with great results. I have also done a little port matching on the carb and exhaust. One trick I started doing before they offered them for sale was to turn all the excess material off the flywheel for faster revs. That can make a big difference.

Very cool Dini. What motor are you working on. ??

I was racing boats. We ran a shit load of nitro. Even with a water cooling head. The racing was so close. How lean can you go. I wanted to win. This was all most zero lift. Pinned most of the way.

Like I said a big heat sink. With that size of engine we can back off on the lean stuff. A .21 no but this monster. I would run very little nitro in the mix. At first .

The reason I run an engine is because of the love I have for IC engines. If you have to say "way would I do that in your head" then nitro is not for you. Its for the people that love it.

Evan

Last edited by SlickRockSpider; 10-19-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:05 PM   #56
Pebble Pounder

I did the all the above listed work on the stock Duratrax MT engine. IIRC it was only a .16, but a pretty fast .16 at that. It now has another Duratrax engine, but it's a .18 size. Didn't get traction then, even worse now. It's pretty sweet in loose bark dust/wood chips...it throws a huge roost.
Old 10-21-2012, 11:28 PM   #57
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
IMO I would have a nitro FOFF as a second rig.Just for the "old school" feel,sound and look of it. Just think of it pulling up to the line revving. Smoke snorting out if the exhaust. The calm before the storm of the motor at idle.Then all hell breaks loose with sand spraying back, exhaust shooting out in a constant scream of "look at this shit" sound. I think it would be more of a challenge with the clutch engaging and disengaging as you throttle up and down while going up the track.Keeping it at a happy medium would be a challenge in itself.Because you wouldn't want it jerking from start to stop while trying to navigate the course.If I had a vote I'd say go for it.
as a brushless rig passes it covering it in dirt.

Nitro/Gas is old technology. Look at the gas Baja's. Even a TCS savage flux conversion will rip one to shreds all day without issue.

The biggest problem with nitro? you cannot run it in many issues due to neighbors, grumpy people etc. They're plain annoying.

Save your money and buy a dirt bike if you want to have fun and make noise, everyones selling their toys in this economy.
daign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:34 PM   #58
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_crawler View Post
what about a conley v8 crawler ?? hahaha
weighs 11lbs is 14" long and makes 5.5hp.

The Castle Mamba Monster makes 3hp for...

The XL2 Castle 1/5 system makes around 10hp.

The conley is $5000 and you'll likely get one run out of it?
daign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 07:20 AM   #59
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by daign View Post
as a brushless rig passes it covering it in dirt.

Nitro/Gas is old technology. Look at the gas Baja's. Even a TCS savage flux conversion will rip one to shreds all day without issue.

The biggest problem with nitro? you cannot run it in many issues due to neighbors, grumpy people etc. They're plain annoying.

Save your money and buy a dirt bike if you want to have fun and make noise, everyones selling their toys in this economy.
OK... I already have "toys".I don't need to say money..But I was talking about the old school cool factor of a nitro rig. Because your not going to be running it at your house where the neighbors are at. As for a brushless rig passing it? SO..and as for them being annoying..that's your opinion..but you know what I think is annoying people who jump all over someone's comment and try and tear it apart...I've been in this hobby for over 24 years. I've seen all types of racing, bashing and all around rigs over the years. And to me and a lot of other people it's not always about being the fastest or winning the little trophy to put on a shelf.It's about running your rig that you built by pouring your time and know how into getting it just the way you want it.That's why I would have a nitro rig.Because it's different.It's not the normal same old brushless foff that everyone else is running.This hobby is first and foremost about having fun.If your so rapped up in being the fastest or the best.You're losing sight of whats really important.
T I N Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 08:08 AM   #60
Rock Crawler

Quote:
OK... I already have "toys".I don't need to say money..But I was talking about the old school cool factor of a nitro rig. Because your not going to be running it at your house where the neighbors are at. As for a brushless rig passing it? SO..and as for them being annoying..that's your opinion..but you know what I think is annoying people who jump all over someone's comment and try and tear it apart...I've been in this hobby for over 24 years. I've seen all types of racing, bashing and all around rigs over the years. And to me and a lot of other people it's not always about being the fastest or winning the little trophy to put on a shelf.It's about running your rig that you built by pouring your time and know how into getting it just the way you want it.That's why I would have a nitro rig.Because it's different.It's not the normal same old brushless foff that everyone else is running.This hobby is first and foremost about having fun.If your so rapped up in being the fastest or the best.You're losing sight of whats really important.

Yea what he said and I love the noise and the smell. That is what its all about.

Evan

FOFF: Why Not Nitro? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nitro FOFF Nitro_Geezer_UK Formula Offroad 4 12-16-2011 07:01 PM