Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Formula Offroad

Notices

Thread: formula offroad build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2007, 10:26 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default formula offroad build

This is kinda-sorta crawler related.

Have seen many videos posted on the chit-chat forum here and starting to think that I need one of these trucks. Now, being poor, I can't have a real one so I will have to build one.

So I am in the thinking about it phase right now, and am wondering:

What would be a good set of axles for this? I would like to make it a shafty to keep it as close to real as possible, so no clod stuff.

Are there axles that could handle an OS18? Maybe an 8000kv brushless? Looks like these things have hella wheel speed, so that is where those choices come from.

Would end up with a tuber frame, and thinking some longish touring car shocks to try keeping it somewhat scale.

Thanx,

rash
rash_powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2007, 10:45 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

right now im doing a build on a tuber that will be used for Rockracing/formaula off-road and the occasional crawl.
its yur standard TLT crawler build but with paddles and a 27turn race motor. 13" w.b. length

A nitro TLT would be cool doing this stuff.

Last edited by RockRacer1; 02-07-2007 at 10:50 PM.
RockRacer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:45 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Twin Force axles would probably be your best bet if you want to throw a lot of power at them. But if speed is your thing, this forum probably won't be of much use. Good luck with the build, sounds like fun.

Oh and on rc-monster.com there was a post of a Twin Force doing 50.5 mph confirmed on gps. It was running a Lehner 2240/10, 12020 speed control, 20/51 gearing, and maxamps 4s Lipo.
SVEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 04:52 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

i'm also building a formula off-road..
i'm going to use tlt axles with junfac link mounts, pro-line sand paw tires, hpi wheels, tamiya df-03 trf dempers.
my idea was to go with a brushless setup because a also want to drive across some water ;)
for the frame i still have no idea. tranny maybe a rc4wd tranny and punisher shafts (bomb proof)
i will put the tranny in the front of the car and then i will see ;)
douwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 05:50 AM   #5

meaby you could place the battary in front and the trnny more in the middle. just an idea :P
dragon9112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 06:22 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I have been kickin this idea around as well. I was thinking about using Maxx diffs converted to solid axles, 2.2 paddles, E-Maxx tranny, two brushless motors, two different pinions, one esc, double throw switch, 4 channel radio. Then throw it all in to a pile, mixx it up and pull out a truck

Steve
Mechanicalbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 08:19 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanicalbob
I have been kickin this idea around as well. I was thinking about using Maxx diffs converted to solid axles, 2.2 paddles, E-Maxx tranny, two brushless motors, two different pinions, one esc, double throw switch, 4 channel radio. Then throw it all in to a pile, mixx it up and pull out a truck

Steve
The two brushless motors and one esc woundn't mix very well, you would need two esc's.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:06 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVEN
The two brushless motors and one esc woundn't mix very well, you would need two esc's.
MMMM....... I think you missed the doubble throw switch in the mixx I am still in the planning stage now but it shoud do very well.

Steve
Old 02-08-2007, 01:23 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

ahhh i get it change motors from one to the other when you want for crawl or speed
xjwalt666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 02:04 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
MMMM....... I think you missed the doubble throw switch in the mixx I am still in the planning stage now but it shoud do very well.

Steve
What's a double throw switch? Do you have a picture or link?
Does it possibly have something to do with your tranny?
Old 02-08-2007, 10:14 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVEN
What's a double throw switch? Do you have a picture or link?
Does it possibly have something to do with your tranny?
A double throw switch has a power to the center pole (From the ESC) and a Left and right (depends on how you look at it) left would be one motor and the right would be the other motor, center would be off if you so choose to use. Basicly the servo would attach by a link to the top of the switch. In theory this would let you run two motors with one esc.

Steve

EDIT: For Clod guys, if your esc is running 2 motors you could use this switch for a dig setup. On one side of the switch have both motors on the other side have just the front. Just an idea.
Steve

Last edited by Mechanicalbob; 02-08-2007 at 10:25 PM.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:29 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

I am a newbie to Rock Crawling, but not RC all together. This is truely something new and exciting! I am hooked and ready to start this project! I live in San Antonio, Texas! Anyone near me thinking of doing he same thing?
minifaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 10:38 PM   #13
TEAM MODERATOR

I still don't understand why guys wanna build a bombproof truck with lots of power......then run itty bitty TLT axles. If your gonna go big......GO BIG.

SVEN's got the right idea boys
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 01:36 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

Cool

made it ... but didnt find proper motor / gearing combo
as once it was too fast without torque, then spun tires real quick and no high speed ...
so ditched the idea for now - so whats the idea if i cannot hower trough water

btw. i used brushed motors from 55t to 13t and sometimes gd600
badgravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 05:54 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
A double throw switch has a power to the center pole (From the ESC) and a Left and right (depends on how you look at it) left would be one motor and the right would be the other motor, center would be off if you so choose to use. Basicly the servo would attach by a link to the top of the switch. In theory this would let you run two motors with one esc.
You do realize that you can't simply use a single pole double throw switch to swap between brushless motors, right? First off, you would need to completely disengage all windings from one motor to the ESC when you want to transfer power, thus you would need a triple pole, double throw switch. This would allow you to simultaneously swap all 3 ESC outputs from one motor to the other. The other issue is that for it to work properly, you need a switch capable of handling AC current at a pretty high rating. A 540 can brushless motor can pull upwards of 100A depending on the winding of the motor. That makes for a very large switch.

The easier answer would be to use an E-Maxx 2 speed tranny with RC-Monster steel idlers and just shift from 1st to 2nd gear when you want more speed.
skellyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 08:40 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

a little teaser from my build

douwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 11:21 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

quite cool but i'd change the body to build a tuber!
theshimonator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 04:56 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Default lousy paddle selection

I bought a set of paddles for my build , but not really pleased with the paddle selection. they are small (4 " dia) and the only ones available.
Id like a full-width paddle for the rears. the staggered ones will work for the front.

Has anyone tried making a full-width paddle ?
RockRacer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 05:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRacer1
I bought a set of paddles for my build , but not really pleased with the paddle selection. they are small (4 " dia) and the only ones available.
Id like a full-width paddle for the rears. the staggered ones will work for the front.

Has anyone tried making a full-width paddle ?
Proline makes them but they only come in the monster truck size. I haven't seen anything smaller from them though. But you prolly already knew this lol.

This concept for a truck would make a good mud runner. nice & light but built for speed.
2low4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 11:31 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

1/10 FULL PADDLE TIRES 18.99

http://www.pantherteam.com/index.php...fa986eb97093f7

dotson is offline   Reply With Quote