Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Steering upgrade

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 08:04 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Steering upgrade

Ok, Iam now ready to upgrade to cvds for better steering angles, other than modifying tlt cvds has anyone tried hpi cvds? I broke both front portal shafts in half,twisted the dog bone ends right off, I cut down some stock hpi axle shafts with dog bone ends they fit perfect! but itll be a matter of time they will break also, is there any good cvd mod that will work? hard to find tlt cvds in stock anywhere, I was thinking someone has used something else an has had success, anybody?
crawlernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Steering upgrade

Well I been looking an trying different axle shafts an cvds, the venom creeper shafts fit perfect, but its the outer knuckle part that doesnt work with the gmade knuckle, so i torn down a wheely king crawler that has integy cvd axle shafts, going to try the whole king crawler knuckle, I know the shafts will work thats what i am running now, if all fits an works correctly Ill post up some pics with part numbers, just trying other cvds other than the tlt cvds, they are hard to find in stock anywhere! seems like everyone has wheely king parts, stock an aftermarket, will post back soon with more info.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I got the integy wheely king part# T8118 cvd axle shafts an the wking #ck2039 aluminum knuckles cut the cvd shafts an ground the flat down to fit the gmade r1 outer portal gear had to also dremel the wking knuckle to fit the gmade 7degree alum knuckle housing ,the cvds fit perfect,you can use the plastic stock gmade knuckles but you got to bore the inner bearing area larger to fit the cvd into.The wheely king alum knuckles no mods at all just the area where the knuckle screws go, 1hr of fitting then 2hrs of running it hard, benefits,,,, twice the turning radius and wheely king cvds are alot easier to find than tlt cvds, I bought everything from ckrc go to the hpi wheely king parts section oh yea the stock knuckle bearings will fit the wking knuckles with no mods just press them in.
Old 01-22-2012, 12:24 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Thats great. good research. Will be upgrading mine with this. =) .. Any pics.
xxkalladorxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:32 AM   #5
Dam
Pebble Pounder

Well done Crawlernut for persevering with this, I couldn't throw anything into the hat on this to help because i need to sort out the steering on mine.
Looks like you have just helped me sort that out Good on ya....
Many thanks
Dam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:53 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Your welcome, ill get some pics asap
Old 01-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #7

glad i found this one!! ive gone through about 15 portal shafts and nobody can tell me what to do! pics please
crawlerdude595 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Ok here is the hpi wheely king cvd axles an wheely king aluminum knuckle mod for the r1 axle i came up with instead of the tlt cvds, cheap camera= cheap pictures! Sorry for the bad quality of pictures.

Last edited by crawlernut; 01-18-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 07:36 PM   #9

thanks i just ordered the rc4wd xvd shafts for the wk and and the aluminum knucks as well as the 7* aluminum portal ends for the gmade. quick question were these shafts the same thickness as the gmade or is there alittle slop in the portal gear and how much more steering did you get? thanks
Old 01-23-2012, 07:20 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Yes the wk axles are same thickness (dia) no slop at all,I am getting close to 40 percent more steering now, the sx swampers dont rub but my sedonas do rub the shock bodies, thats in the proline wheel offset difference, remember that you will want too dremel a little off the knuckle arm its self an where they hit the axle c then watch for the tierod hitting the axle cover,all these little things to watch for an do will get you more steering throw. I ran it on our frozen pond it will do 3wheel drive donuts very tight! it lifts the left front in the air while spinning,the whole price on doing this wk mods was alittle under 45.00, oh yea the set screw in the wk cvd that holds the cup pin put some loctite on it it will come loose if you dont.
Old 01-23-2012, 09:41 PM   #11

Awesome thanks for the info!! I'll take some before and after pics so others can see the difference in steering. Thanks again
Old 01-28-2012, 11:16 AM   #12
Rock Stacker

Sorry this might be a stupid question but do the wheely king cvd's fit the stock gmade knuckles? I currently have a set of aluminum gmade knuckles and I have been hunting for an outer cvd that I can use. I am currently using Tamiya 417 outers and they are just a little too short for me (the wheel nuts won't go on enough and the wheels come loose).
RNUOVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:49 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Yes they will fit but its a very tight fit, you might have too inlarge the inner bore just a 2or3 mm, I did put the wk cvds in my stock plastic knuckles but i inlarged the bearing bore also but the alum wk knuckles was a better choice just filed down the step screw area an bolted right on.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:16 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Nice to see a cheeper alternative. I wonder how much power it will take?
Rc planet is selling CVD axles for $24.95 *

* Integy Universal Drive Shaft HPI Racing Wheely King INTT8118

And the steering hub/block is $18.95 to $19.95 depending on the brand.

Thumbs up and thanks for the tip!!
RustenPaines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:14 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Does anyone happen to know if there is an integy part number for just the outer shafts by chance? or do they only sell them complete?
I already have my inner shafts figured out and installed and it's only the outers I am having issues with right now
Old 02-13-2012, 07:09 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I have only seen integy ones complete, did you try integys website?
Old 02-13-2012, 08:15 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

I had checked the site earlier and they are not showing anything besides the complete kit - I'll send them an email and see if there is a part number available however I'm thinking not...Just trying to get my CVD setup done so I can sell my diffs.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:15 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Hey crawler nut how u doin man. Just wondering. Do u or have ever set a dig in a r1. I really want to but have no idea atm. I no I need micro servo to start but ive never done this mod to any rig yet so any help would be sweet. And man love the steer mod. But since I have that moded servo saver from gmade its got loads of steer. And ol jang from ultimate rc rekns my mod wouldnt work and I cant get the negativtyout of 1 or the other steer wheel wen its on the outside turn. Well I modded it and I got rid of that neg with that saver mod. If u want 1 look up fusionhobbies.com they be in the uk but still advertise them for sale

Sent from my U20a using Tapatalk
scoobyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 09:23 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Hey man me again. Yes fusionhobbies has them I just bought 1. Blue like mine. Its a hard set up. And it needs to be. Like I siad ill doo a qwik vid to show ya what I did. Its so easy u will smile lol. Cheers

Sent from my U20a using Tapatalk

Last edited by scoobyblue; 03-03-2012 at 09:25 AM.
scoobyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Hey scoobyblue whats up, i never did any dig unit in a r1 did one in a ax10, it never worked right lol. we went on a 1 mile long trail gtg this past sat my r1 was awsome! my daughter ran it, thinking i better build another one for myself haha lol. gotta go for now, talk to ya again,

Steering upgrade - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rpm steering upgrade help j4k3 Tamiya XC/CC01 6 01-07-2011 08:01 PM
steering servo upgrade Aaronn Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 17 12-26-2008 09:43 AM
Stock steering upgrade KevenP HPI Wheely King 9 02-28-2008 06:47 PM
4WD steering upgrade daytonatkf Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 6 09-05-2006 01:44 PM
More Flex and Upgrade Steering Help Dana44 General Crawlers 13 12-27-2005 01:48 PM