Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Gmade R1 Stealth Cantilever Suspension

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 04:10 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Gmade R1 Stealth Cantilever Suspension

So here is my 2nd attempt at doing this, I used the xtm x-factor cantilever bellcranks (p/n 149609) and install 2, 3x8x3 bearings to mount for the swivel. This what I was originally going for rather than my first attempt in this thread Gmade piggyback XDs springs

I got the concept of this down now, not as much flex as I wanted. I did get the look I wanted and all in all I do think that the shocks will have to be longer than the solid rods to be able to benefit from this setup. Since I am only running the 93mm xd piggybacks I don't get as much flex as I would like. If i were to runt the 103mm xd piggybacks and use shorter rods, I think I would get to the where I want with this. Feel free to comment or send over some ideas that may help. I also just finished up the battery plate in the pix too, made it out of styrene since no Hobby shops around here have delrin sheets in stock. I will try to get a video on this when I take it out next if any of you are wanting to see one.
Attached Images

bikerzee24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Gmade R1 Stealth Cantilever Suspension

Damn, now that is something different, very very cool as usual mate.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:25 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Thanks Derb, doesn't hurt to try new things with the R1, there is still some fine tuning that I am brainstorming to get things where I want them, but I love trying new things with this rig. So many possibilities.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

So I swapped out the links for the ts01 shocks instead and got way more flex and motion than using the links. Plus it looks way cooler than what it did before.
Attached Images

Old 03-23-2013, 11:09 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

That's an even better idea mate. You're gonna have like 8 sets of shocks on this thing by the time you're done fiddling.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:12 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Yeah I thought that at first too, but I'm going to see if I just like it on the rear for now and depending how I like it I will do the front next. Doing the front wasn't really a part of my initial plan, but we will see.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:28 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

That looks awesome
kjrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 06:50 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

That is an awesome idea actually. I do like the looks of a cantilever suspension setup especially on your R1, it almost makes it look like a bug or some other insect. Now do you have the second set of shocks locked out? or do they act like another set of shocks? If they are locked out, why not just make a set of links that are the same length of those second set of shocks? I would definitely do the front, it would look soooo much more awesome if you do the front
ToTheMAXXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 10:56 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Yeah after doing a long test run with a few couple people today I think I will probably go ahead and do the front, parts are on order now for that. The second set of shocks are not locked out and the reason I used them was because I didn't have any links short enough to go in thier place. They actually work out rather well and do work as another set of shocks which has made it crawl way better than it has ever crawled since I have had it. Here is the link to the video I got from today:

http://youtu.be/XM64-5Lp81I

Last edited by bikerzee24; 03-25-2013 at 05:27 AM. Reason: Added youtube link
Old 03-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Wow, I'm impressed. Looks and works a lot better then the first setup. Gives it a little of an agressive look as well.

Nice work on getting this together.

One suggestion; get a spacer so you can mount the XDs upright without the shock top interfering with the bell crank.. That way you you won't get snagged up with the top of the shock hanging down low.
cytogen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:33 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cytogen View Post
Wow, I'm impressed. Looks and works a lot better then the first setup. Gives it a little of an agressive look as well.

Nice work on getting this together.

One suggestion; get a spacer so you can mount the XDs upright without the shock top interfering with the bell crank.. That way you you won't get snagged up with the top of the shock hanging down low.
Yeah I had to learn that the hard way, so I just flipped them back upright after my day of crawling with them updside down. They look and work a little better upright now. I should be getting the second set of bell cranks today to start doing the front suspension. Can't wait, too bad I have class tonight so I can't take it for a test drive tonight.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

So I just got the second set of rockers in today and just finished installing them. Overall I love the results I got out of the front ones. The rear set up still needs some work, but I have it narrowed down to needing longer shocks which I have the 103mm xd's on the way already. Hoping to do a test run tommorrow.
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2013, 12:30 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Damn! That is some serious flex, great work mate.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Thanks Derb, its gone a long way, but its still going. I'll have to see how it does on my test run to see how well it does.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

love your suspension, i would like to try this for my custom wraith. any suggestions?
Smithysride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

The wraith would be so much more fun to try this with since there is so many possibilities with the wraith also. There is an awesome cantilever mod done by Seb Seb's RC Shop Ltd. and that is where I got the idea from to do my suspension. Trial and error is a great way of getting to where you want with your rig.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:29 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

yeah, i saw seb's setup and some of his videos. if he were to do it that would be very expensive. if i were to try to mimick it that would be very expensive in parts trying to figure it out. so eventually i will do something, just dont know what yet, still like your setup
Old 03-29-2013, 09:19 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Yeah, well my route was to go cheaper and it worked out well. All under $50 with screws, spacers and lock nut that I already had. I would say go this route if you can find a way to do it with the wraith. I was limited on my choices when I searched other rigs that came stock with cantilever suspension or had custom ones. Keep in touch with any updates you may have with the wraith cantilevers though. I would love to see an alternative to seb's.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:41 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

just ordered a pair of bellcranks and got an idea on how to possibly do it. just need to get home to see if it will work, ive only been able to look at pictures of my wraith to come up with the idea. will keep yall informed when i get a chance to play around with it
Old 03-30-2013, 09:03 AM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Thats about the same way I thought of mine, was by looking at pictures. Great way to start the brainstorming...looking forward to seeing some pics on the progress

Gmade R1 Stealth Cantilever Suspension - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
rear cantilever suspension mp3ranger 1.9 Scale Rigs 2 01-24-2011 03:56 PM
Variable link/cantilever suspension chassis mod build droopmodmrc Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 5 03-30-2010 05:46 PM
cantilever suspension questions cliffclimba:) Axial AX-10 Scorpion 1 11-15-2009 11:10 PM
cantilever suspension Wicked_Jester General Crawlers 8 06-09-2007 01:52 AM
Pros/Cons of cantilever suspension... Vitamin_J General Crawlers 3 03-01-2005 09:49 AM