Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > G-Made Sawback

Notices

Thread: New sawback owner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2017, 01:17 PM   #1

Default New sawback owner

Just ordered my sawback yesterday. Would like to take a minute and thank all that posted here. Its nice to have a resource like this where you can get answers feedback and tech help. I started flying Rc planes in 1978 and there was the guys at the field the guys at the hobby shop and a few magazines.

Now today you can watch you tube and look up anything on line. Shop get an email or look up a manual online. i have always had some RC car/truck/heli/boat. Still have several including my first blackfoot from tamiya that i got back in the 80's.

For my sawback i went with a homes torque master 35t motor. hobbywing 1080 esc .savox sc-0251 servo. futaba 3pv-3 transmitter with the r203gf receiver. going 6.0 volt for the servo on the RX. I have several surface radios but not sure they are legal anymore.

Going with a few upgrades to start. chassis mounted servo 2 sets of anti wrap bars and the spring spacer upgrade kit Team knk screw kit and the CVD's.

Comments are welcome and thanks again. After waiting 38 years i am finally getting a trail/crawler

Rathar3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2017, 09:14 AM   #2

Default Re: New sawback owner

does anyone know if the scale RC4WD steel punisher 100-130mm drive shafts fit the Sawback?
Their site says it does but that dont mean they are a good fit.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:26 AM   #3

Welcome to the Sawback club! It's an awesome truck. The anti wrap bars are a great idea. They really help prevent bending leaf springs. I bent a lot of them before getting these bars. Other than that I have not broken a single part on my Sawbacks.

I would suggest avoiding the RC4WD drive shafts. Junfac/GMade make their own and they are pretty good. I have them on my one Sawback. I still have the stock driveshafts on my oldest Sawback. I've been running that for 2 or 3 years without any issues.

Good start with the electronics as well. Definitely post up some photos as you build.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:11 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Check these out on eBay. They come over on the slow boat, but the quality is very surprising. They offer several different lengths, so if you can wait a couple of weeks they're worth the wait. I've bought 2 sets and they are hardened steal and preassembled

2Pcs Black Stainless Universal Drive Shaft 105mm-150mm For RC Crawlers D90 SCX10 | eBay
Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 04:15 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepiac View Post
Check these out on eBay. They come over on the slow boat, but the quality is very surprising. They offer several different lengths, so if you can wait a couple of weeks they're worth the wait. I've bought 2 sets and they are hardened steal and preassembled

2Pcs Black Stainless Universal Drive Shaft 105mm-150mm For RC Crawlers D90 SCX10 | eBay
Thanks for the info. I might try these out.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:18 PM   #6

I will check them out thanks Jeep
Old 04-28-2017, 09:47 AM   #7

Got a question for you. Not sure where to ask it so i will ask here

Have a homes torque master 35t motor hobbywing 1080 esc. I ordered 2 5000 mah lipos 2cell at 35c. will these work?
Old 04-28-2017, 10:45 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathar3 View Post
Got a question for you. Not sure where to ask it so i will ask here

Have a homes torque master 35t motor hobbywing 1080 esc. I ordered 2 5000 mah lipos 2cell at 35c. will these work?

That quikrun is 2-3s as far as I know. 5000: That should give you plenty of runtime.
Those lipos are large but should still fit the battery tray. I placed my battery under the hood in the front though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
fxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 10:51 AM   #9

Thanks fxman. This is all new to me. never played much with lipos Also going with the CMS kit so i can use the anti wrap kit so its in the back it seems

Last edited by Rathar3; 04-28-2017 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Thanks fxman. This is all new to me. never played much with lipos Also going with the CMS kit so i can use the anti wrap kit so its in the back it seems
That battery should work fine.

I don't have the CMS on either of my Sawbacks and I'm using the anti-wrap bars. You don't need the CMS to run the anti-wrap bars.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:05 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I was into RCs in the 80s and only ran sailboats and nitros until I came across crawler. And I had never heard about Lipos either. They are not as easy to handle as old nimh batteries. On the other hand you will love the runtime and power! Treat them with respect. This forum has tons of wisdom to offer, just search - or ask :-)
Old 04-28-2017, 11:16 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

True, technically CMS isn't necessary - just looks better without a servo mounted to the axle and works fine also
I think the biggest improvement came with the brass beef tubes. And the best: they are dead cheap compared to the other ones for the "name brands"!
And I never even bothered to mount the stock plastic wheels and upgraded to the Gmade steelies.
Only downside is the lack of support for parts. Most of the time, the stuff ships from Korea and takes a while to get here - so order bulk, if you ever do, haha.
Old 04-28-2017, 11:27 AM   #13

Thanks guys for all the help. I started in 1978 with a plane have done boats cars heli's and planes. always wanted a crawler. In the 80's we tried with the blackfoot's didnt go so well but now its looking better
Old 04-28-2017, 11:28 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
That battery should work fine.

I don't have the CMS on either of my Sawbacks and I'm using the anti-wrap bars. You don't need the CMS to run the anti-wrap bars.

How do you attach the anti wrap with the axle mounted servo?
Old 04-28-2017, 11:31 AM   #15

Quote:
How do you attach the anti wrap with the axle mounted servo?
You don't. The anti-wrap bars connect the leaf spring hanger to the axle housing as seen here:

Old 04-28-2017, 11:46 AM   #16

its the same for the front to?
Old 04-28-2017, 01:22 PM   #17

Quote:
its the same for the front to?
Yes, sir.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:20 AM   #18

Thanks Jato i done a lot of reading about the sawback. Seems the spring wrap will also damage the front driveshaft due to the downward angle. I read several people talking about the front driveshaft popping off seems to be the axles wrapping and changing the driveshaft angles.

So using the anti wrap seems to solve 2 issues
Old 05-06-2017, 03:38 PM   #19

Well after a week no info and no reply to several emails i canceled my order with the nut on ebay. Got my money back and ordered from RPP hobbies. Got all kinda stuff waiting and NO KIT bleh. My bank took care of it thankfully and 2 days later i got a email saying they were out of stock with the kit BLEH. So now i have a fed-ex tracking number and a call from RPP had some issues with the shipping address but they called and got it fix and shipped same day i ordered.

Went with the sawback sport kit this time and all the other stuff including a light kit. should be here Friday in time for a weekend build. I really dislike buying on ebay amazon and such due to issues like this. I like RPP and amain so i will pay more to avoid other issues.

will post pics when i get the kit and get started.
Old 05-06-2017, 05:44 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Well after a week no info and no reply to several emails i canceled my order with the nut on ebay. Got my money back and ordered from RPP hobbies. Got all kinda stuff waiting and NO KIT bleh. My bank took care of it thankfully and 2 days later i got a email saying they were out of stock with the kit BLEH. So now i have a fed-ex tracking number and a call from RPP had some issues with the shipping address but they called and got it fix and shipped same day i ordered.

Went with the sawback sport kit this time and all the other stuff including a light kit. should be here Friday in time for a weekend build. I really dislike buying on ebay amazon and such due to issues like this. I like RPP and amain so i will pay more to avoid other issues.

will post pics when i get the kit and get started.
I do a lot of feaBay and I've been really lucky for the most part, but When I need to buy a bunch of stuff at one time and spend a lot of money, I go straight to Rpp. I love those people!
Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote

New sawback owner - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Things to upgrade/watch out for Sawback 4LS & Sawback Sport soze G-Made Sawback 2 02-28-2017 12:46 AM
Sawback vs. Sawback Sports scaled G-Made Sawback 6 04-01-2015 09:04 PM
XJ owner out-asshole parks Corvette owner..... STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 18 09-30-2014 06:20 PM
New Sawback Owner bryco13 G-Made Sawback 28 03-22-2014 10:35 AM
Wild Willy On A Sawback [Sawback Solo Run] ifulg G-Made Sawback 1 12-24-2013 08:06 PM