Notices

Thread: TVP Tubers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2008, 05:19 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default TVP Tubers

Doesn't this....

o
2.1.3.2 - Unibody – Constructed of a single piece of solid material (fiberglass, aluminum,
plastic, etc) and must be self supporting. A Unibody cannot be fastened together in any nonpermanent
way such as, nuts & bolts, pins, rivets, zip ties, etc. The roof must be raised from
the main chassis to resemble a cockpit and should resemble a 1:1 vehicle.

pretty much outlaw TVP tubers doesn't it???... unless you run a lexan body on it I would guess.

JEracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2008, 07:14 AM   #2
On the lookout for Rocks

That is only if you are running a solid body. It must be in one piece. Nothing about a tuber in that rule....Read the rules above that one......

2.1.3 - Bodiless vehicles: Must be a self-supporting, structurally complete, rigid frame. The roof must be raised a minimum of 1” from the main chassis to resemble a cockpit. The frame sides must be an overall minimum of 1” tall (The cockpit & frame side are to be measured vertically from where the hood intersects the cab). Bodiless vehicles should resemble a 1:1 vehicle. NOTE: These bodiless rules are in a 1 year trial period to see how people respond to it and after that time these rules & requirements may be revised.
o 2.1.3.1 - Bodiless vehicles must have solid hood panel, solid roof panel and a minimum of 2 solid side-panels. Hood, roof and side panels must be separate pieces of solid material installed onto the bodiless vehicle frame. All body panels are to be separate pieces from the complete structural frame. Body panels must be solidly installed in a manner that is representative of a 1:1 vehicle. It is required that at least one point of the side-panel must reach to a span of 1” tall or more & at least one other point of the side-panel must reach to a span of 2.5” long or more. In the case of a Unibody vehicle (See sec. 2.1.3.2 for Unibody definition). The Unibody is considered to have all body panels needed without having to add separate body panels as long as the hood, roof & side panel areas meet all the general panel & side-panel size requirements above.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:24 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

so is this legal?????
My crawler after 5 months...
nico_6194 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 07:29 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

the side panels need to be seperate from the frame the way the rules are currently written.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:07 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEracing View Post
Doesn't this....

o
2.1.3.2 - Unibody – Constructed of a single piece of solid material (fiberglass, aluminum,
plastic, etc) and must be self supporting. A Unibody cannot be fastened together in any nonpermanent
way such as, nuts & bolts, pins, rivets, zip ties, etc. The roof must be raised from

pretty much outlaw TVP tubers doesn't it???... unless you run a lexan body on it I would guess.

As long as the tuber section is welded/brazed to the tvp part (making it a single solid piece) it is legal. The tuber section can't be bolted to the tvp.
Nicklepimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:29 PM   #6
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Doesn't this....

o

A TVP tuber falls under the bodiless classification in the 2008 rulebook but is not considered a unibody. See the attached pics for a unibody.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nico_6194 View Post
so is this legal?????
My crawler after 5 months...
If it meets the minimum dimensions then it should fall under the bodiless classification.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicklepimp View Post
As long as the tuber section is welded/brazed to the tvp part (making it a single solid piece) it is legal. The tuber section can't be bolted to the tvp.
[/left]
Actually Nickle, a tube body bolted to a TVP chassis is legal under the 2008 rules and falls under the classification of bodiless.

These pics are examples of a unibody.
Attached Images

Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 08:04 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Doesn't this....

o

What's wrong, Jeff? Are you worried about something?
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:40 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Matt. I ain't scared!
just wanting some clarification. I thought that those TVP tubers were kinda pushing the rules a bit but if not... cool.
I like the idea behind them, just wasn't sure how a guy would slide them into competition if they weren't legal. If they are... everyone should have a couple.
JEracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:54 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Matt. I ain't scared!
just wanting some clarification. I thought that those TVP tubers were kinda pushing the rules a bit but if not... cool.
I like the idea behind them, just wasn't sure how a guy would slide them into competition if they weren't legal. If they are... everyone should have a couple.
Old 10-22-2008, 07:19 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
A TVP tuber falls under the bodiless classification in the 2008 rulebook but is not considered a unibody. See the attached pics for a unibody.

If it meets the minimum dimensions then it should fall under the bodiless classification.

Actually Nickle, a tube body bolted to a TVP chassis is legal under the 2008 rules and falls under the classification of bodiless.

These pics are examples of a unibody.
Wouldn't pic #2 fall under Bodiless, the hood is not part of the unibody?
Rockshow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 12:02 PM   #11
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockshow View Post
Wouldn't pic #2 fall under Bodiless, the hood is not part of the unibody?
Ah, good point. I don't really remember requiring the hood to be part of the unibody, especially since pic 2 was one of rigs we used to define unibody. However you are right, the hood must be part of it.

It's not a big factor though. Unibody falls under the bodiless category so a unibody still must meet the requirements of a bodiless vehicle, just like a TVP tuber.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:17 PM   #12
~THE SCALE SHOP~

this comp legal?

Fast Lane Machine SPV2 Chassis
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 01:30 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
JRH ran that one at Nationals...
Old 10-22-2008, 01:54 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I think im going to get my lawyer to read over these rules and interpret them for me.
Renslipevol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:11 PM   #15
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
I don't see the question. I see lexan side panels, and a lexan hood. Definitely plenty long, and I am sure width is good. It resembles a 1:1 in my eye.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:07 AM   #16
~THE SCALE SHOP~

i think its just me, i thought i remembered discussion of anything TVP having to run a body. it appears that went byu the way side and i am wrong. looks sweet imo
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote