Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Berg vs all others

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2009, 07:27 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
I think it all depends on what you want.Sure berg axles are nice and there is a few things they will do that a shaft truck will not ,But on the other hand in my opinion a shaft truck will do more things better than a berg .I do not think that the berg axles are stronger than Axials.The bergs are strong while they are new and fresh but after that That is just my opinion

A shafty will do lots of things better than a Berg. A shafty will twist drivelines better. A shafty will tip over because of the high COG way better than a Berg with its damn low COG. Shaft truck also break digs because they are so much simpler than the Berg Dig. And when it comes to torque twist, the Berg cannot hold a candle to the shafty trucks. After reading this list it makes me wonder why I sold my AX10.
tedmales is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-01-2009, 07:55 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedmales View Post
A shafty will do lots of things better than a Berg. A shafty will twist drivelines better. A shafty will tip over because of the high COG way better than a Berg with its damn low COG. Shaft truck also break digs because they are so much simpler than the Berg Dig. And when it comes to torque twist, the Berg cannot hold a candle to the shafty trucks. After reading this list it makes me wonder why I sold my AX10.
I understand your points BUT:

It is easier to set up a Berg, but the ultimate limits of traction will always favour a shafty. There is simply no possible way that two axles spinning at different speeds can achieve the same climbing capability that 2 axles spinning at the same speed can.

I also agree that mechanical dig has been a problem in the past, but having a worm gear hold the axle in place while the digs are engaging or disengaging, will take care of most of the issues, I hope Losi's proper design will take care of the rest.

I had 2 Bergs, now run HRs, I love MOA, but the Losi will be 2 lbs lighter (that is 33%) and has alot of great ideas built into it. I am sure that good drivers that switched from TLT's to Ax10s to Bergs will try the Losi. I am also sure someone will want the Losi to be in its own class etc etc....

If you feel something is best in class, buy it, tune it, and win.
renoirbud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:55 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Were you bet by a shafty & can't let it go?
Speedracer19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:30 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I worry about competing against Gatekeeper when he is running a shaft rig way more than when he was running a berg.

Different rigs are better suited for different drivers.Never count the shaft trucks out just because you are running a MOA.That is when one beats you
joesbruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:18 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedracer19 View Post
Were you bet by a shafty & can't let it go?

I finished 1st at the last 8 Friday Night World Finals Rock Crawling ( or FNWFRC) comps. And have never finished worse than 3rd at the Super Duper World RC Crawling and Taco Stand ( SDWRC&TS) with my Berg. At the last race we all got beat by a bone stock Big Bear who jumped the whole mountain. But at least it was not a shafty.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:35 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by renoirbud View Post
I understand your points BUT:

It is easier to set up a Berg, but the ultimate limits of traction will always favour a shafty. There is simply no possible way that two axles spinning at different speeds can achieve the same climbing capability that 2 axles spinning at the same speed can.

I also agree that mechanical dig has been a problem in the past, but having a worm gear hold the axle in place while the digs are engaging or disengaging, will take care of most of the issues, I hope Losi's proper design will take care of the rest.

I had 2 Bergs, now run HRs, I love MOA, but the Losi will be 2 lbs lighter (that is 33%) and has alot of great ideas built into it. I am sure that good drivers that switched from TLT's to Ax10s to Bergs will try the Losi. I am also sure someone will want the Losi to be in its own class etc etc....

If you feel something is best in class, buy it, tune it, and win.

But we are talking about whats available today, not what somebody will be making soon ( the Losi is not even for sale yet, so what it does or does not bring to the talble is yet to be seen in real world everyday use and abuse). I agree 150% that the driver makes the rig, but the is no doubt ( in my mind anyway) that the MOA is superior in most every way.

The Bergs have been wining comps everywhere. The excuse people give is that the best drivers just switched cars. But they seem to stick with them. If they were not better most people would have switched back. The Berg IMO is much easier to set up and run ( pick up axels, Kamikazi Chassis package, Losi shocks , bolt it together and is really works well.) No torque twist, no stupid mechanical dig to adjust then burn up servos, then adjust some more, no driveshafts to twist out. It just makes more sense to me. But I guess if I sold chassis for a inferior car, I would push that car regardless if it was better or not.
Old 01-01-2009, 10:54 PM   #27
RCC Addict

Quote:
But we are talking about whats available today, not what somebody will be making soon ( the Losi is not even for sale yet, so what it does or does not bring to the talble is yet to be seen in real world everyday use and abuse). I agree 150% that the driver makes the rig, but the is no doubt ( in my mind anyway) that the MOA is superior in most every way.

The Bergs have been wining comps everywhere. The excuse people give is that the best drivers just switched cars. But they seem to stick with them. If they were not better most people would have switched back. The Berg IMO is much easier to set up and run ( pick up axels, Kamikazi Chassis package, Losi shocks , bolt it together and is really works well.) No torque twist, no stupid mechanical dig to adjust then burn up servos, then adjust some more, no driveshafts to twist out. It just makes more sense to me. But I guess if I sold chassis for a inferior car, I would push that car regardless if it was better or not.
But what if the car was good just had a crap chassis, then it would be ok right? How about this. Get a losi crawler. Then some bergs and a KK as you suggested. Then take them both out and shoot some video for us so we can all decide together in a drum circle. And then anyone who still has their own oppinion after the drum circle can be tied down, covered in bread crumbs and pecked to death by a duck.
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:04 PM   #28
Keep it real

Quote:
I agree 150% that the driver makes the rig, but the is no doubt ( in my mind anyway) that the MOA is superior in most every way.

So what I'm reading here is that you don't like tuning a truck, you just want to throw it together and expect it to work pretty good.....or you don't know how to set up a shafty properly....yeah, it takes work to make them work like they should
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, and yours is you like MOA's....and there is nothing wrong with that, but why must you put down shafty's because you had a bad experience?
And who are you taking the potshot at about pushing chassis'???

If I got beat at a crawling comp by a stock Bigbear, I sure wouldn't admit that in public:-P

Last edited by Tanis; 01-01-2009 at 11:12 PM.
Tanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:09 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:

I do not ever recall you being at a comp that I have been to and I try to hit up all the bigger events.There are several people that have went back to shaft trucks.I have been running the same mechanical dig for over two years and have never had not one single problem with it,it works flawless every time.I have won several events with berg axles but when they let you down so many times you got to go back with something that will be consistant.I am not saying any of this because I sell chassis for the ax10 I had the same chassis I have now with the berg axles under it
Gatekeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:12 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Culetto View Post
But what if the car was good just had a crap chassis, then it would be ok right? How about this. Get a losi crawler. Then some bergs and a KK as you suggested. Then take them both out and shoot some video for us so we can all decide together in a drum circle. And then anyone who still has their own oppinion after the drum circle can be tied down, covered in bread crumbs and pecked to death by a duck.
x2 or he could come to a big event and show where it is better
Old 01-01-2009, 11:16 PM   #31
Keep it real

Quote:
At the last race we all got beat by a bone stock Big Bear who jumped the whole mountain.
Quote:
I think that line speaks volumes.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:17 PM   #32
RCC Addict

Quote:

Berg hater
Flyin Hawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:19 PM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
I think that line speaks volumes.

I agree. It all depends on the driver. I "think" the berg fits me better. I have been doing better with it than I did with my shafty. I believe Joe is the same way. He seems to be doing a lot better with the berg. Austin on the other had is better with his shafty. Its all about the driver.
Rockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:19 PM   #34
RCC Addict

I still like them they will pull off some amazing lines ,But like I sayed for my driving style and once again this is my opinion shafty 100%
Old 01-01-2009, 11:19 PM   #35
09 RCA champ!

Quote:
The Bergs have been wining comps everywhere.

they havent been winning in Atlanta
rednck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:24 PM   #36
Keep it real

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockcrawler View Post
It all depends on the driver.
Quote:
But like I sayed for my driving style and once again this is my opinion shafty 100%
I agree as well, the rig that works best for any certain person, is the one to run.

I liked my Berg while I had it, it worked very well for me, and I certainly don't dislike MOA's, but I've always preferred a shafty
Old 01-01-2009, 11:25 PM   #37
Keep it real

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednck21 View Post
they havent been winning in Atlanta
I think this is more common than people think, around the country
Old 01-01-2009, 11:26 PM   #38
09 RCA champ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanis View Post
I think this is more common than people think, around the country

rednck21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:40 AM   #39
RCC Addict

Damnnit! Do i have to get a shafty now just to get into the cool crowd?

Just to actually put a serious answer out there. I prefer my MoA's because i prefer electronic dig and im a throttle happy driver so the clod stall helps me alot (too many years trying to make the triple in a T-3).
Culetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:27 AM   #40
Rock Crawler

I just spent 20 minutes typing out a long response then deleted it after previewing. It felt good to get that off my chest and even better that it didn't urinate any of you off Man, I am glad I didn't post that!

The only comment I have is:

It is funny how things come full circle. From "cheater truck" to tons of people driving them to the most anticipated and exciting truck releases being shafties.

MOA's are soooo 2008. Get up with the times, man!

- David
dkingston is offline   Reply With Quote