Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Project best X frame saved thanks to cman_1500w

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2004, 10:34 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Project best X frame saved thanks to cman_1500w

I was bored so I whipped this up in AutoCAD.
It has an inverted E-Maxx tranny and adjustable wheelbase. It could be set at 14”, 14.5”, 15”, 15.5”, or 16”. Some problems I see are: the top 4-links must be mounted really high to clear the motor so the axle needs an almost 1” standoff to attach the top links to, driveshaft hits slipper cover, ect. I have some ideas to fix the driveshaft hitting but not the 4-link being too high. Some other things not in the picture are the link mounted shocks and the batteries mounted on the axle. There would be 3 cells on each side of the axles so 12 total. I think this could be a possible Cold Killer. Please post your opinions.
NeoSlayer888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2004, 01:26 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: My idea for the perfect X-Factor frame

Hey nice work!!! I've been thinking about this idea alot lately! There was some guy had a txt I think that did this and is doing very well against the clods. I think he was an aussie.......I can't remember his name or where I saw it tho :?

That same guy actually mounted his battery in the chassis at the bottom next to the motor. I can't remember how he split up the cells but it was a strange arrangement to say the least.....Man I wish I could remember where I saw it. It was really trick the way he did it.....

I like your idea of drilling extra holes to make the chassis adjustable. But, it seems like at 14" there would be clearance problems. What if the wheelbase was adjustible through the links instead. If they could telescope in and out and be set with screws then that could work too right? The shock positioning would have to be adjustable as well though.

Also b/c the driveshafts are set so high in the chassis the driveshafts have to be extended longer for this to work....hence making them weaker and more prone to twisting. Less material on the male end making contact with the female end seems to me like it would be weaker. So beefing up some 2.5 or revo sliders may be necessary.

My next chassis will have this type of design.

Clod-killer! I like the sound of that! hehehe
cman_1500w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 01:53 AM   #3
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cman_1500w
Hey nice work!!!
I like your idea of drilling extra holes to make the chassis adjustable. But, it seems like at 14" there would be clearance problems. The shock positioning would have to be adjustable as well though.

Clod-killer! I like the sound of that! hehehe
If you place the upper links on the inside of the chassis plate all should be good.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 05:20 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the replies. Here is an updated pic with more detail:
Quote:
If you place the upper links on the inside of the chassis plate all should be good.
Do you mean that the top 4-links are mounted inboard like a stock TXT-1? If so that is how I designed it.

cman_1500w: I think I have seen the crawler you are talking about on outerlimits4x4.com. For telescoping links you could use tie rods/turn buckles like on my LOSI XXX-T and other vehicles. I hope your next chassis will turn out to your liking. I won’t be making a frame for awhile so I am just brainstorming for now.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:34 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Sean from ORCRC has ran the batts on the axles of his hybrid max crawler for a while now, and he is also running them on the axle of his mad force crawler. I also ran my speed control and reciever on the axles of my TLT at the last comp in rocheaster, it seemed to work well but tended to aid the axle in floping over while articulating.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 05:49 PM   #6
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoSlayer888
I think this could be a possible Cold Killer. Please post your opinions.
My opinion? You'll NEVER make a Clod killer out of a shafty!
Looks sweet though.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 06:44 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4
My opinion? You'll NEVER make a Clod killer out of a shafty!
Looks sweet though.

You guys in Colorado need to come to Oregon and see what real shafties can do
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 07:09 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Pics no worky for me. Sounds interesting though.
jugg_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 07:25 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

All I see is a big red X
fireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 08:26 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman
All I see is a big red X
ditto
BARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 08:54 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Sorry for the red X's. Used 101% of my 5 MB of daily transfer. If anyone wants the pics and can't wait till tomarrow email me at NeoSlayer888 @hotmail.com.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:08 PM   #12
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast
You guys in Colorado need to come to Oregon and see what real shafties can do
I would love nothing more. Someday.
So you sayin that The Digler, Digler Jr., Tight Squeeze, Gimbal's Bushmaster, and Ace's worm gear rig aint real shafties?
j/k
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 01:12 AM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Here's the link to the TXT you were racking your brain about.
http://www.rccrawler.com/postt1442.html

I have only got red x's as well so far but am keen to see your design as mine is the only other one I know of.

I think inverting the tranny is the only way to go. Heaps more stable.

My battery sits opposite side of the tranny to the motors under the driveshaft repacked into a humpback configuration.
TXTFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2004, 02:58 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

YES!!! That's it! Thanks for the link TXTFUN!

And here goes the questions:

Can we get a close up pic of your battery mounted?

How long did you have to make your shafts?

How much tranny clearance do you get with your setup?

My next chassis will be similar to yours. I'm worreid about the x-axles pinion angle as it's positioned lower on the axle than a txt's (up high like 2 1/2ton rockwell). It is at an angle so that may help.

Like you most of the guys I run with have clods so I definitely need a setup to compete with their damn low cog asses!

Shafties are for the men and clods are for the girls since uh......we have shafts....get it? lol!
Old 08-31-2004, 05:58 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Here's some kinda crappy pics, let me know if you want them a bit bigger.

I have about 4.5" centre clearance with this setup (running MGT's)which is about all I could get otherwise the shaft would hit on the motors. This is around what most competitive clods run anyways so I'm not at any disadvantage there. The whole smooth belly pan that protects the motors and holds the battery with velcro give a good skid plate and doesn't get hooked on anything.

The shafts are 71/2" long while driving on flat and require about 1" of compression and nearly no extension to allow full travel. The plastic Maxx uni joints are holding up really well with the angles.

The only prob you might find with the X axles and Maxx tranny is it may reduce your available ride height depending the output shaft is going to be high enough above the motors to give sufficient clearance to the shafts on the motors, I've never seen either in person so I have no idea so it may even improve it.

Keep up the R&D cause the day of the shaftie is coming up quickly MWAHAHA.
Old 08-31-2004, 08:19 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

THANKS FOR THE PICS TXTFUN!!!!! Those are perfect I can see exactly how ya did it now! You've really got me motivated to do this! I've got a crawl session this weekend with a couple nicely setup clods so I wanna make a few more mods to my truck and see how far I can take the current design, but I'm convinced that your design is gonna be the final straw in creating a 'Clod Killer!'

Only thing is I would really like to get some gear reduction going. If I can't figure a way around this then I'll likely just go with some Integy 55t motors and 72/9 gearing.

Also from the pics I see what you're saying about the X's pinion possibly lessening the ground clearance due to the angle of the driveshaft and motor/battery clearance. If I can get 4" gc I think that will be ok with a 16"wb.

Have you tried running just a single motor? Or do you think 2 are necessary?
Old 08-31-2004, 09:54 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I didn't try 1 motor cause I couldn't see reducing the weight by 1 motor being more beneficial than the extra grunt of 2.

I thought of making a new flatter tranny with better reduction incorperated into the chassis but it was making my head hurt too much trying to come up with something that would work and be simple, I think I was heading in the wrong direction. Maybe a motor next to a similar sized planetry reduction and up to some kind of transfer case on top would work with a split battery pack each end Pinflat and Kaetwo style??
Old 09-01-2004, 06:49 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Sorry to break up the great discusion with this post. My host for the pictures screwed up so I lost them. Also Windows got screwed up so I lost the AutoCAD files. Once I get my computer all sorted out I will make a better drawing. For now I have to finnish my X-TXT for Sept. 11 so I can get some real life research.
Old 09-01-2004, 07:08 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Almost forgot to post this, in class I started thinking about gear reduction on a inverted tranny my ideas were: bolt on to motor(s), portals, my design. I thought of pros and cons for each and liked my last idea the best. Here is a pic hope it works:
Old 09-01-2004, 07:12 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Hey no prob, I saved it! Here ya go!

TXTFUN: I get what you're saying about the motor. I've also thought of creating a custom tranny but then it just gave me a headache too! lol! How many turns are those motors you got in there? I was thinking about just using 2 of the Integy lathe motors with the 72/9 gearing and let the motors make up for lack of gear reduction.

Just looking at the emaxx tranny I can tell the motor clearance won't be a problem as it's more centrally mounted than a txt tranny. Motors won't stick out as far. Heck may even make it possible to fit a gear reduction..who knows.

Also have you though of mounting the tranny sideways? Just another thought. I'm wondering if that may allow the driveshafts to sit at a nicer angle.

Oh, do you have any video of your truck in action?