Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Pneumatic steering?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2005, 07:17 PM   #61
Quarry Creeper

we are just trying to help out man, if you have solutions tell us, we are just helping you see stuff that might be wrong.
shortbusjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2005, 07:18 PM   #62
RCC Addict

and you can actually control hoe far it goes, just close the valve.
ILoveRCRockCrawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 07:22 PM   #63
06 Super National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveRCRockCrawlin
fine screw it i wont do it then. why do i even bother sharing ideas with all of you.
Umm...

Most likely because folks like me will end up doing the math to see if this system will work, and if it will, how well it'll work.

That's what forums are for, right? To help each other out?
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 07:48 PM   #64

The simplest solution that I can think of is to have two cylinders. One master and one slave. Its been done before in an old car action magazine. the slave is mounted to the axle and the master is mounted to the chassis and driven by a servo and the slave moves as the master is compressed and contracted. Kinda like the hydralic brakes on your car. Anything else that was mentioned here is just way over thinking a simple solution. . As an engineer I know how easy it is to over tech yourself lol.
RC JEDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:23 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC JEDI
The simplest solution that I can think of is to have two cylinders. One master and one slave. Its been done before in an old car action magazine. the slave is mounted to the axle and the master is mounted to the chassis and driven by a servo and the slave moves as the master is compressed and contracted. Kinda like the hydralic brakes on your car. Anything else that was mentioned here is just way over thinking a simple solution. . As an engineer I know how easy it is to over tech yourself lol.
ok yes that does simplify it a lot, but how would u overcome the fact that air compresses?
monsterjeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 08:47 PM   #66
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveRCRockCrawlin
fine screw it i wont do it then. why do i even bother sharing ideas with all of you.
Noone is saying you can't do it - it is just that is is not practical.

Sure, you can use pneumatics for steering. However, I doubt you could make it proportional. Sure, can fill the cylinder with a small amount of air to move the wheels a little bit, but it will be under so little pressure it won't hold it's position well. And say you put enough PSI into the cylinder to overcome the compression issue - it will automactically go to full lock. You can't have the cylinder half full of air, and be at a high PSI.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 09:09 PM   #67
RCC Addict

Dude, don't get all pissy and take it out on people. Everyone is just giving their opinions, and some of them you don't like, so what? This is an open forum to discuss ideas, and if a lot of people say that it can't be done or it isn't practical, then it probably is. You have to accept the advice of others as fact..................or take it as a challenge and try to prove them wrong. As stated, everyone would like to see it done, so if you think it can work, then make it happen. Be the first! If you want to do some experimenting with some nice cylinders and control valves, check out www.clippard.com Look at their micro stuff.

I am starting to play around with some passive hyro steering ideas with some valves I got from them. I am just experimenting, will it ever work? Who knows............................but it is fun just trying it out.
Attached Images

Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:15 PM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterjeepn
ok yes that does simplify it a lot, but how would u overcome the fact that air compresses?
Well for one Id use a fluid that does not compress. But if you like to use air then use a bigger cylinder as the master and it would make enough pressure for the slave. The same applies for hydraulic, A long skinny master cylinder makes more force out of a short fat slave. And there are all different cylinder configurations you can use for this method. The sky is the limit here
Old 12-04-2005, 10:21 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC JEDI
Well for one Id use a fluid that does not compress. But if you like to use air then use a bigger cylinder as the master and it would make enough pressure for the slave. The same applies for hydraulic, A long skinny master cylinder makes more force out of a short fat slave. And there are all different cylinder configurations you can use for this method. The sky is the limit here

Also, The best cofig probably woul be two single action masters with on dual action slave.
Old 12-04-2005, 10:28 PM   #70
RCC Addict

Instead of quoting youself, there is an edit button.

And if you were to use a fluid that does not compress (i.e. - a liquid), then it would cease to be pneumatic, and become hydraulic - which has been proven effective.
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 10:41 PM   #71

Yeah, Sounds like you got it ;)
Pnumatic just isnt a feasible answer cause air does compress.
Besides pneumatic is baically the same idea as hydraulic just with air and the different properties are benifical for different aplications. I do not believe you can make a pnumatic steering that would be very functional. Why fight physics?:?
Old 12-15-2005, 01:17 PM   #72

here is a thought. Use the two cylinders, but only hook one up to your valve. if you seal the other one up it may help to center your wheels. its hard for me to explain I guess,it makes sense in my head. If you cover one hole on the cylinder and try to pull or push the (rod) in or out, it takes a little force but it will return to where it was. so if you have (push rod?) half way, and have the inlets sealed it should work as a two way shock or something. guess maybe I'm thinking out loud

what about one of these
http://www.clippard.com/store/displa...asp?sku=3BDD-2

Last edited by lofty975; 12-15-2005 at 01:24 PM.
lofty975 is offline   Reply With Quote