Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Why the hell doesn't traxxas have a crawler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2010, 11:01 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhugger View Post
great for Traxxas... their parts and cars def. have a place!

Crawling does not need to be mainstream
It sucks waiting all day at comps just to run for a few minutes.
For any hobby or niche of a hobby to flurish it needs new blood.

If you are that bored during comps why not judge?
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2010, 03:01 AM   #42
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
For any hobby or niche of a hobby to flurish it needs new blood.

If you are that bored during comps why not judge?
how do you know I didn't?
rockhugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 02:52 PM   #43
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Got to love the RTR generation!
And that is who Traxxas caters to. Drop in a battery and have fun.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:56 PM   #44
Rock Stacker

Traxxas is all about speed, just look at their ads. From my perspective, they also tend to focus on segments of the RC market that are either a) high volume, b) untapped, or c) untapped and likely to become high volume. That's just smart business.

RC crawling is still very much a niche market relative to the rest of the hobby. Even if Traxxas did want to venture into crawling, what would differentiate their products from what's already out there, other than brand loyalty? In my opinion Axial and Losi have the RTR solid axle crawler segment pretty well covered considering the size of the market.

If I were to guess where Traxxas will aim their sights next, I'd say it'd be in 1/5th scale offroad. There's lots of interest in that area right now, and HPI is the only mainstream manufacturer w/ products in that segment.

- Chris
Csnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 06:38 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

traxxas has always had good ideas telescopic drive shafts 2speed shift on the fly trannys selectable lockers,etc but they put indy suspention on everything exept the spirt and it had basically the same rear end as the grasshopper and hornet they even put indy on their "monster trucks" i think the summit is probably the closest you'll see to a crawler from traxxas
muddawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:43 PM   #46
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhugger View Post
I think this may be true but it's poor judgement for them or any company not to realize the profit on the way up the growing spurt of the segment. So if and when they ever do release a crawler I won't buy it if that is their attitude. Why buy something from someone who rolls their eyes or who does not support grass roots like Axial did in 06'-07'. Axial was on Scene getting input and feedback at some of the first comps I ever attended in Reno and then the WCC at Donner, that's who we want building our shiat. Only reason Traxxas is so big is because of rtr and the houses they sell in... market saturation.
I wish Tamiya would come with it again!!!
Ypu ever notice that Traxxas rarely follows the crowd, but they do come out with things others immediately try to emulate.

Examples
- Established the RTR market; something that truely benefitted our hobby by bringing in people that would never have considered building a kit. Damn near every company offers RTR now

- Massive innovation; the Maxx trucks, Revos, short course trucks. How man compies now offer similar vehicles?

--Their 1/16 vehicles are a whole new level in the mini sceen. I have had a number of minis and the Traxxas ones are damn impressive in stock form.

- The Summit. While not a serious crawler, it is a damn good multi terrain rig and the lockable diffs are definately an interesting addition to an RC truck.

S0, will traxxas ever make a true solid axle or MOA crawler? Don't know and Don't care, but if they do I am pretty sure it will be exceuted pretty well.
02tac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:45 PM   #47
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Csnyder View Post
Traxxas is all about speed- Chris
Ever wonder why? What is almost always the first question non-RC folks / kids ask you? "How fast does it go?"

Liek you said, just good buisness sense.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:53 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Screw Traxxas!

The only thing Traxxas is good for is assorted parts for custom builds!
u got it! traxxas is built to break, thats why the hobby shops all carry them... parts sales!!!

Last edited by learch; 12-13-2010 at 09:56 PM.
learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 10:20 PM   #49
Rock Crawler

Quote:
If I were to guess where Traxxas will aim their sights next, I'd say it'd be in 1/5th scale offroad. There's lots of interest in that area right now, and HPI is the only mainstream manufacturer w/ products in that segment.

- Chris
years a go traxxas did have a 1/5th scale buggy it was called the monster buggy if i remember right. pics of 1 i found on the net. there was no support for it by traxxas back then tho
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...gy_001_640.jpg
http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i2...y_004_c640.jpg
freakofnature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 11:53 PM   #50
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by learch View Post
u got it! traxxas is built to break, thats why the hobby shops all carry them... parts sales!!!
From my own experiences I'd say the durability of Traxxas RTR's has come a long way in the past 5 to 10 years.

Back in the day I was breaking parts on my Tmaxx and Emaxx on a pretty regular basis. Fast forward to this year, I picked up a Slash 4x4 Platinum Edition and am EXTREMELY impressed w/ how durable it is, aside from bearing issues caused by driving in soupy mud. I've been pretty hard on the thing and the only parts breakage I've had so far has been at concrete skate parks... pretty much to be expected there.

- Chris
Csnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 04:01 AM   #51
Rock Stacker

It depends on how many vehicles they can 'develop' from 1 platform. I guess with a scaler you could have different bodies like the way axial offer there rtr scx10. But then again you can't run a scaler as an onroad car.
RiZZa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:27 AM   #52
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
From my own experiences I'd say the durability of Traxxas RTR's has come a long way in the past 5 to 10 years.

Back in the day I was breaking parts on my Tmaxx and Emaxx on a pretty regular basis. Fast forward to this year, I picked up a Slash 4x4 Platinum Edition and am EXTREMELY impressed w/ how durable it is, aside from bearing issues caused by driving in soupy mud. I've been pretty hard on the thing and the only parts breakage I've had so far has been at concrete skate parks... pretty much to be expected there.

- Chris

I have been a fan of Traxxas for many years and find that, like most any brand, once you get talking to people who complain about poor durability you find out that there are few things they would not break through missuse. I have actually had guys complain to me that a suspension arm / chassis / whatever broke only to find out later they hit a parked car while doing speed runs or they were launchig the thing 20" in the air without the benefit of a landing ramp. Yes, the materials our toys are made of today are better than they were 5 / 10 / 15 years ago, but to many people seem to think they should be indestructable.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:46 AM   #53
Scale Detail Engineering

Traxxas has played a big part in bringing rc to masses.
Heck, I was out of it for years... since the old Tamiya days in the 80's, untill I read about brushless/lipo technology. And yes, the thought of going over 60mph w/an electric rc car is what got me back into it. I bought a used rtr rustler, loved it and when the waterproof mini revo came out I bought that one and beat the living $#!* out of it.

But then, like a lot of people I started looking around at other segments and ended up getting into crawling and now I'm building a scx10, mlc, pti goliath and 2 mcrc's! I just bought my nephew a mrc, I'm supporting many of the custom builders here (still need to buy my rcc star) and spreading the word. No matter where people start or how they get into it... rc leaves you wanting more.

As far as Traxxas stuff being junk that's only good for custom builds... that doesn't even make sense. Why would you choose junk to build with? Come on, Revo/Max shafts, the Pede tranny and big bore shocks have been used in builds for years and now the slash ifs and summit trans on some of the sweetest KOH builds on this forum!

Will Traxxas put out a crawler/scaler/koh truck, I don't know but if they do, I'm sure it'll sell and bring the masses with it... which is a good thing for all rc crawler companies/custom builders.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:26 AM   #54
Quarry Creeper

i have 5 traxxas's 2kyosho's 4tamia's 1duratrax 1axial 1xmod 3nylints and saving parts for a scaler and the traxxas's have been just as durable as any thing else and more durable than some i just wish they'd put a solid axle in some of they're stuff i bash the snot out of my emax but when i want a monster truck i bust out my txt1 who ever heard of a monster truck with 4wheel indy suspention

Last edited by muddawg; 12-17-2010 at 05:39 AM.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:15 AM   #55
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddawg View Post
who ever heard of a monster truck with 4wheel indy suspention
Solid axle or not the Maxx series of trucks are darn fun!!!
Old 12-17-2010, 08:31 AM   #56
I wanna be Dave

I really like the Summit that I"ve got, Tons of fun and if you spend the time to weight the wheels and use some decent tires, it crawler pretty fair for a SUPER heavy rig. But as far as a true crawler goes, I don't see Traxxas blinking their eyes at making one. At best, it would be in the realm of the AX10. Pretty durable, but I don't think they'd make anything that you would be competing in for a 2.2 pro class.

But hey, I challenge them, in fact, I double dog dare them to make an MOA that can compete with Bergs, Bully's, HR's and that new Axial thing.
Krakker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 01:41 PM   #57
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02tac View Post
Solid axle or not the Maxx series of trucks are darn fun!!!
yep like i said i bash the snot out of mine even made an addapter to bypass one battery pack so the ol lady could drive it

Last edited by muddawg; 12-17-2010 at 01:47 PM.