Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Wanna get a crawler...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 09:21 PM   #1

Default Wanna get a crawler...

Hey fellas,

I know these threads have probably been done to death but...

I have been intrigued by crawlers for a while and would like to get one soon.

I like the look and idea of the scale builds and stuff but I think I would get more enjoyment out of a comp-style/2.2 crawler.

The main one I'm looking at currently is the XR10.
I am trying to stay under $200 for the kit and I can get the XR10 for about $175 delivered (I'm in Australia).

I would love to build a custom kit but I think that would completely blow out my idea of $200.

I have a Novak 4cell GTB I could use for a while and get a couple of cheap 45t or 55t motors with the RC4WD Rocker Dig or the Punk Dig.

I have a EX10 Helios radio and an MX3X, both of which I think are suitable?

Does anyone have and tips/advice to give, I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers,
Brendan.
Sagitta is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #2
www.ottsix.com

Default Re: Wanna get a crawler...

well, for sure, you can't go wrong with the XR10 kit. Here's how I keep cost down: I like the RC4WD Rocker...it cost about half of the Punk and works great...mine has lasted me nearly 3 years now. I also like the RC4WD 35T motors for only $10 each...I have never had a single problem with them. I also run their Outcry esc on 2S/25c lipos with no complaints (don't drop below 25c on any battery you might buy, the discharge rate is very importaint) Come spring, the Outcry will be 3 years old and still running strong. I'm not sure about your TX, but as long as it has a third ch that is on-off-on, you can run either a Rocker or a Punk with it. I just bought a traxxas TQ three ch TX/RX on ebay for some pocket change and soldered in an on-off-on swith (www.led-switch.com) You can also shop around for some nice used wheels and tires, they're not hard to find on this site.
At the end of the day, you can have a comp worthy crawler for around $500...no joke.

Your esc will work just fine by the way...no need to change it out.

Last edited by crawl-o-matic; 01-05-2012 at 10:35 PM.
crawl-o-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 11:31 PM   #3

Thanks mate.

Sounds like I was on the right track with it all.

Still not sure on the motors though, 55t I assume is pretty much just a crawl
Are the 45t motors enough on 2s or is 35t needed for 2s?

I was looking at the Turnigy Nanotech 2200mah 35c 2s lipos, what size lipos can the XR10 take?

Both my radios are 3ch, both with options of 3+ positions I believe (need to double check that).

I have some half worn Mashers I thought about using for a little bit or getting the RC4WD Krazy Krawler's.

The only spare servo I have right now is Hyperion DS20FMD which I think is about 13kg, a little weak I know, just hoping it would be enough for a short while.

Just looking to get something going for as cheap as I can (using what I already have) and upgrade bits later.

Nice to know the ESC will be fine, wasn't sure if it would be.
Old 01-06-2012, 10:47 AM   #4
www.ottsix.com

For me, 35T are just right...you really need the wheel speed to dig correctly. That battery is more than perfect...the discharge rate is key for power, think amps, voltage isn't as important for 35T motors (if you go less than 35T, go with 3 to 4S batteries...you have a GREAT esc for that) The problem with sub 35T motors is they tend to bust up your crawler...you'll find the weak link on your crawler in no time.
Old 01-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

4s on the stock gears will be gone is seconds. rc4wd gears are basically a necessity, just take it easy till you get the better gears.

@crawl o matic - you said the 2200 mah is good, will that fit? i heard many say like 1500 is the max is that true?
Krawler23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
www.ottsix.com

It's not a "drop in fit" but you can make room for it. For me, I don't use anything over 1,000 mah...the smaller and lighter, the better.
IMO, this battery kicks ass big time Holmes Hobbies / Holmes Bikes :: Batteries - Lithium :: HMC 35C 1000mah lipo
...and you'd be supporting one of this sites merchants, and that's a good thing
Old 01-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I always tell people to go AX10, compete in sportsman class. If you dont like comp the jump to scaler isnt that big because the AX10 is easily converted. If you dont like comp the XR will end up on the forsale block.
ev0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 11:44 PM   #8

I'm not really planning to compete with it, just want something to mess around with.

Scale stuff looks interested to me but I would like to be able to try some harder stuff.

As for batteries...

These 2 should fit easily right?

HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : Rhino 1250mAh 2S 7.4v 30C Lipoly Pack
HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : Turnigy nano-tech 1300mah 2S 25~50C Lipo Pack

This ones a little longer...
HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : Turnigy nano-tech 1800mah 2S 65~130C Lipo Pack

I didnt think that the smaller capacity lipos would last long, thats why I was looking at the 2200mah.

Wanna get a crawler... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wanna get a rock crawler CelicaST_CALI Newbie General 12 08-01-2008 04:59 AM
my wanna be rock crawler in making!! gargar67 General Crawlers 11 09-16-2007 01:27 AM
Wanna be crawler..... flexntj2001 Traxxas Crawlers 2 01-02-2006 07:55 PM
Wanna build a maxx crawler.....how? Texas Rebel Traxxas Crawlers 10 07-30-2005 10:28 PM
I wanna build A clod crawler? ProfitOfDoom Tamiya Clod Buster 6 10-15-2004 12:18 PM