Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: whats heavier

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 10:01 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default whats heavier

thinking of converting my ax10 to scx but what is heavier? Granted they are the same builds.
fitisbamg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2013, 01:15 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: whats heavier

Depends
chattinfarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 01:43 AM   #3
SCALE PERFORMANCE PARTS

Scalers typically end up getting accessories.
Comp rigs typically end up going on diets.

But what is your reason for basing it on weight?
Build what you love and bulk up or cut off whatever doesn't work for you.
Locked Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:28 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

ya no electronics no body no wheels, just hardware to hardware both in stock form what's heavier?
Old 10-13-2013, 07:58 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitisbamg View Post
ya no electronics no body no wheels, just hardware to hardware both in stock form what's heavier?
Most likely the scx10. Not that it would matter . Apples and oranges .
hellbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellbounder View Post
Most likely the scx10. Not that it would matter . Apples and oranges .

not really, if I convert from my ax to scx and if I still use my suspension and motor I'll probably need different gearing or softer springs, that's why I was asking.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:25 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Are you talking about the old ax10 Scorpion or the new ax10 Ridgecrest. Bloody stupid for axial to name two completely different models the same.

If you are talking about the old one the only weight difference is the difference between the TVP of the ax10 and the c-channel of the scx10.

If I recall the ax10 tvp is about 3mm thick aluminium. The scx10 chassis is bout 1mm thick steel. Steel is about three times as heavy as aluminium. So the weight difference will come from the surface are difference between the ax10 and scx10 chassis(what is the plural form of the word chassis?).

All in all the weigh difference will most likely be only about an ounce. Which means absolutely nothing on a truck that weights in at 6 to 12lbs.

Weight of the chassis is no reason to change the suspension. On a scx10 based scaler most weight comes from everything but the chassis.

You might want to change to shorter shocks because the ones that come with the ax10 will make it a monster truck.

Last edited by Scrap; 10-13-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
Are you talking about the old ax10 Scorpion or the new ax10 Ridgecrest. Bloody stupid for axial to name two completely different models the same.

If you are talking about the old one the only weight difference is the difference between the TVP of the ax10 and the c-channel of the scx10.

If I recall the ax10 tvp is about 3mm thick aluminium. The scx10 chassis is bout 1mm thick steel. Steel is about three times as heavy as aluminium. So the weight difference will come from the surface are difference between the ax10 and scx10 chassis(what is the plural form of the word chassis?).

All in all the weigh difference will most likely be only about an ounce. Which means absolutely nothing on a truck that weights in at 6 to 12lbs.

Weight of the chassis is no reason to change the suspension. On a scx10 based scaler most weight comes from everything but the chassis.

You might want to change to shorter shocks because the ones that come with the ax10 will make it a monster truck.

I have like one of the earliest scorpions.
not only that, but i have extra long shocks compared to the stock ones . but yes i was just wondering cuz i am running 23/87 on the stock 55t motor and i dont want all the scale accessories, just a nice clean body (hard or lexan)

Last edited by fitisbamg; 10-14-2013 at 11:44 AM.

whats heavier - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
whats heavier? steel, brass or copper STANG KILLA SS Tools, and Procedures 24 04-12-2011 11:32 AM
whats hot, whats not. post good and bad setups and products TomEGunn General Crawlers 9 05-28-2009 07:29 PM
Heavier is better? MonsterDDT Tamiya CR-01 15 07-21-2008 07:54 PM
Making heavier front wheels, please help meeeeee Immarcescibile Newbie General 21 07-28-2006 11:46 AM