Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: axial deadbolt or slickrock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2014, 11:14 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: axial deadbolt or slickrock

Why do I feel like you're gonna get a slickrock?

I shouldnt feel that way. Nobody should feel that way.
djjiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2014, 06:42 AM   #22
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djjiz View Post
Why do I feel like you're gonna get a slickrock?

I shouldnt feel that way. Nobody should feel that way.
My thoughts exactly! I prefer scx10 or wraith also new ax10 any day over suck rock!!! I agree wanting a comp style rig(moa/shafty) to go camping is a bit overkill so scx deadbolt is best(cheapest route)IMO & most others!!!
sic1to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:31 AM   #23
Rock Stacker

The camping is just every so often too not real often :( and i would like to take it with me and find some rocks when i do go. the rocks are actually easy to find.

I dont mind spending the money, so that isnt really an issue. I just dont want to spend it all at one time. then end up being board after 30 min after the build and out $1000.

so more then anything i guess im just trying to find that good starting point for a shafty, comp, 2.2 or sportsman class crawler. not sure the difference between each of the classes though. i figure a quick swap of the tires and i can do a little better on the trails with the SCX guys if i must get the crawler dirty.
So the AR60 axles are ok but not as good as ????
the ????? axles come on what crawler / kit?

one thing ive learned about rc over the 15 years or so ive been involved is once people see it in action and get to try it for a min they are hooked and start spending money im one that doesnt hesitate to hand a lurker my transmitter. unless its maybe my $5000 Yak 45, but i will bust out a foamie in a heart beat.
Jfannin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:39 AM   #24
RCC Addict

...ok then.(different stokes for different folks) the scx10 deadbolt is great choice to start on $299 plus batteries!!! If you get bored with it you can sell it & not loose that much $$$ on it depending on condition. Any rig can empty wallets but building any moa/shafty comp rig will tap in to live savings!!! You can also browse classifieds & get great deals.
Old 08-18-2014, 01:01 PM   #25
Rock Stacker

so the SCX10 would have the better axles for a shafty build and then replace the motor, tires, chassis and adding high 4 link to it ect...

figured the AX would have been better but ok... ??? im assuming it has a lot to do with the axles????

their are about a dozen scx crawlers. does it mater what one???

Last edited by Jfannin; 08-18-2014 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-18-2014, 04:54 PM   #26
RCC Addict

The Slickrock is a cute little vehicle, but it can't climb curbs. It's too small. I don't think anything that can't climb a curb should be seriously considered a crawler, because that's the easiest possible crawler-type obstacle.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:09 PM   #27
Rock Stacker

From my understanding the SCX10 is the best kit too buy . I'm guessing its for the axles but not sure why. I called the lhs and they said the ax10 is wider and has the split diff's. I figured the wider axles would be better but..

I also asked the difference between the 1/2 dozen scx10's. He said the body's is pretty much it but he isn't into crawling, so is that true?

Thanks for all the help fellows
Old 08-18-2014, 06:38 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfannin View Post
so the SCX10 would have the better axles for a shafty build and then replace the motor, tires, chassis and adding high 4 link to it ect...

figured the AX would have been better but ok... ??? im assuming it has a lot to do with the axles????

their are about a dozen scx crawlers. does it mater what one???
That is a choice you will have to make between the two...I like(own) both but like all has said it's opinion & what ya like.
Old 08-18-2014, 06:46 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbean View Post
This really is very simple.
Look at the aftermarket support for both choices.
Your answer is right there.
This. Look at all the aftermarket support Axial has, be it a Ax10 or SCX10, AR60 axles or OG AX10/SCX10 axles...
R/CMaxximus5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:06 PM   #30
Quarry Creeper

I couldn't really decide between old ax10 (scorpion), new ax10 (Deadbolt), or scx10 so I have all 3. Granted like I said the Deadbolt is my oldest daughter's rig but I enjoy all of them. Plus a second scorpion that I bought for my youngest daughter.
slim_chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:34 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

The axles that come on the ax-deadbolt (ar-60) are wider then the scx's, but easier to service when need be, because you can remove the diff cover just like on a 1:1 vehicle, you can build up both types of axles to be bulletproof, the narrower scx-10 axles can get into tighter places then the ar-60's. I think it comes down to preference that's all, I have both types and like both. But as others stated, stick with an Axial product. just my .02

Cheers,
Wade
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:57 AM   #32
Rock Stacker

OK that sounds good. I like the idea of the removable diff. For me wanting a comp rig yet not comping (no place to comp yet) i think the wider axels would be good. I myself like the looks of that wider stance anyways so I guess I'll go get the deadbolt and change it to a 4 link. I'll probably hold off on new links until I figure out what chassis I end up using.

From ready it sounds like I need to change the motor asap so that will be done out of the gate... I have some 600 mah 3s 30C continuous 60C max burst @ 11.1v LIPOS that I would like to get some use out of. They have just been laying around. How do I tell what motor would work with my lipos or are my lipos not even close to what i need? I know it starts with the motor and works back to batt, ESC, and bec.. So what motor??? I'm going cost effective for know so probably not homes handwond or anything. Figured something along the 35 or so. Seams like what a lot of people use.

I'll also probably change the gears that make my front wheels spin a little faster. Any recommendations?

Thanks again for such good / helpfull advice everyone.

Last edited by Jfannin; 08-19-2014 at 08:42 AM.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:10 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

A few suggestions to help you out.
The AX10 Deadbolt already is 4 link. Upgrade to metal and your good to go. The stock links do work pretty good though. Better than stock scx10 plastic links. Those are just glorified noodles.
I am not sure running 3s is good for the stock esc but upgrade to a cc sidewinder 3 in brushed mode and crawler mode will be just fine.
600mah won't give you much run time I run 4000-5000mah to get round about 2 hrs run time
35t motor will be pretty dang good.
slim_chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:31 PM   #34
RCC Addict

I compete with 360mah packs and only use 170ish on two courses.
Also finished a couple g6 events (100 gates) using 1 pack per run.
Bashing I get at least 15 minutes out of one pack. I also avoid mud.

The stock motor is fine as long as you gear it right out of the box.

Ax10 chassis blows.

This is with a 1.9 wraith by the way. Scx10 axles with no wheel weights.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:14 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

I'm a scx based axle crawler and see them the way to go..
I mentioned in your other thread.. Buying a used sporty or pro rig for around 600$ would be ur best bet. You will get way more or of the upgrades already done then the 250$ difference from buying a new rtr or kit and upgrading it. It will give you a good base to start with.

Then maybe ur friends will follow ur lead and get crawlers as well.

I have atleast one in every comp class and scale class.. My scale rigs sit, unless it's part of a comp situation. I can go out for hours and crawl rocks and Never stop grinning!

I'm with sic1to an agree with his posts as far as axle choice, if you go with 2.2s..

But there isn't much like running a pro rig!
XR's can be had cheap or berg is the way to go..
ClassiCutCustom offers a complete Berg kit (900$) then add some Holmes hobbies electronics and continue to grin ear to ear for the life of the rig!
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:18 AM   #36
RCC Addict

Berg in a box is my next big purchase...& is a great platform I seen one in action(live) WOW! Still got the xr but still love it also.ear to ear!!!

Buy one already do we can see how ya like it if now prob know some potential buyers...lol
Old 08-20-2014, 12:32 PM   #37
Rock Stacker

lol yah

So my dilemma being i want to build a shafty and everyone says AX10, SCX10 or AR60's . Their are several SCX10's and i though they was all the same untill i looked at their specs. for instance:

SCX10 Dengo kit $250 wheelbase 11.4"

SCX10 jeep Rubicon kit $329 wheelbase 12.3"

AX10 DEADBOLT RTR $329 wheelbase 12.2" , wider, removable diff cover;

So if you was going to buy a kit or RTR what ever... What one would you start with and why? would the dingo be the best buy for the price / parts you get. i can make my wheel base what ever i wont when i do a new chassis. but with the Dengo having a shorter wheelbase / shorter drive links will that cause me to run a shorter wheelbase as a shafty. Maybe its worth the extra $80 for the longer wheelbase with the Rubicon or longer wheelbase / wider axles with the deadbolt?

with any of the kits i would get the guys of what i will need once i convert it to a shafty. But does one kit have something that worth the extra $ that would come with the kit ????

whats your thoughts?

Last edited by Jfannin; 08-20-2014 at 12:59 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:16 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

Couple of thoughts here. The dingo is kind of like a base model, the rubicon has better shocks I think, and you are paying for the licensing of the jeep product. The deadbolt has the ar60 axles. Another option would be to get the axles you want and build around them, the reason I suggest this, is that you mentioned you might want to change the chassis anyway and if you get a kit you will need electronics anyway, so you could do a ground up type of build.
Also check out the pictures on here and google some, and see what you like and what that person did to achieve that look/performance you are interested in.

Cheers
Wade

Last edited by Wade; 08-20-2014 at 05:26 PM.
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 07:13 PM   #39
Rock Stacker

Well I picked me up a used but nice looking (photos) axial ax10 Scorpion from the sale section.

It looks pretty good and is in roller form with a Hitec 645 servio.

What's your alls thoughts...

Got to figure out the motor, ESC, bec, and maybe a lipo battery.
Anything I should order along with that stuff that is a must?

Figured maybe a homes motor.

Last edited by Jfannin; 08-25-2014 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:55 PM   #40
RCC Addict

You could have opened a box and wheeled the same day for $299 plus a battery. Good luck with your purchase.

axial deadbolt or slickrock - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
axial ax10 deadbolt crawlernoobie209 Newbie General 4 07-16-2014 08:50 AM
2wd axial deadbolt StraightCreepin87 Axial AX10 2nd-gen 7 04-15-2014 06:27 AM
Axial AX10 Deadbolt Lentsnh2012 General Crawlers 4 10-29-2013 12:10 PM