Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: axial deadbolt or slickrock

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2014, 09:09 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default axial deadbolt or slickrock

Well I'm trying to figure out what one would make the best first crawler.

A few local guys have axials such as the wraith, scx10, and g6. All are moded a little. They enjoy the scale look of course. I don't dislike it or anything but love the performance of a crawler.

My self I love the 2.2 moa comp crawlers and almost built a bully2 crawler. I stopped the build simple because I didn't want to spend $1000. I could watch teds vids all day

All of my back yard land scape is over sized rock 1"-4" in size with a few larger 2' bolders and lots of places to craw locally.

So what do you all think, Ax10 deadbolt or slickrock ? Something alse?

Naturally I want to run with the friends but want a crawler not so much a scale rig
Jfannin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2014, 09:23 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: axial deadbolt or slickrock

The ax10 is a solid platform with multiple upgrade options available Axial gets my vote.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk
CapnSwagga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:48 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Anything with AR60 axles. Wraith or ax10 deadbolt would be my only choices for new rig purchases. Upgradability, strength and ease of service make it a no brainer to me.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 09:57 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

My first choice would be a wraith but of those two a deadbolt. They are a great first crawler.
k goodrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:18 PM   #5
RCC Addict

You can make a scx10 do many things with the platform it offers! IMO the gen2 ax10 is a great trail based rig with wide d60 axles & longer wheelbase along with a 20t stock setup(more for speed). With that being said, it is not a good crawler base like gen1 ax10. I have both & there is no way it will crawl as good as a gen1 ax or my built($$$$) 2.2 scx!!! The vertical chassis is narrow but also low with lil breakover ability & too wide/long for technical crawling like the scx10 axles. I think the gen2 ax is a waste of time & $$$$. The only good is axles...IMO of course 1k can be reached with any rig very fast. Moa based crawlers can reach 2k easily!!! The ideal build would be scx10 axles with a bodiless or body type shafty class...very crawler worthy & can find used in rcc classifieds....(or I can sell ya one that is built without electronics & dig)

But wraith,ax10deadbolt,scx all make great 1st rigs but not crawler based....more scale than anything. Interiors,frame rails,driver figures not much on crawler side just sayn.

Last edited by sic1to; 08-16-2014 at 10:22 PM.
sic1to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 11:45 PM   #6

I agree, go with the Axial as it is much easier to upgrade for parts. The AX10 Deadbolt is a fun little truck, I have one that is my kids ( Twin 6 year olds and 4 year old) that drive it. It takes a beating and crawls very well with not much weight needed and will go most places that my heavily modded wraith goes.
xtremeaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:12 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Well shoot. I figured I'd get more post for the slickrock being its some much like the MRC.

So what's the closest capable crawler that compares too say a Bully2.2 moa comp rock crawler or Maybe like the losi nightcrawler if it was still sold.

I'm not so much looking for a full trail rig or scale rig but want to be able to take the crawler on the camping trips
Old 08-17-2014, 05:48 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Is the AX10 deadbolt a 2.2 pro or sfafty starter? I done more looking / tube watching and came across shaftys and 2.2 pros and some other classes but everything was older crawlers that are no longer sold.

I started a new thread trying to get info on the different classes so I can figure out what to start with.

Thanks
Old 08-17-2014, 06:24 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

The Deadbolt is pretty much a starter rig. Its pretty capable though. A good set of tires go a long way for it plus swaping the battery to the front mount position.
I vote Deadbolt too.
I bought a Deadbolt for one of my daughters and have not regretted it yet.
slim_chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 09:02 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfannin View Post
Is the AX10 deadbolt a 2.2 pro or sfafty starter? I done more looking / tube watching and came across shaftys and 2.2 pros and some other classes but everything was older crawlers that are no longer sold.

I started a new thread trying to get info on the different classes so I can figure out what to start with.

Thanks
That's kinda what I was getting at...the deadbolt is by far a 2.2 pro(moa) it is a shafty but I have never seen anyone build or use one in a shafty class? The only way to go IMO is to get a shafty(comp)chassis & use scx10 axles to get you what your looking for in a dominate rock crawler. I'm not throwing off on the rig at all it's just lacking comparing to moa/shafty class crawlers by a long shot!!! Any(axial)rig is a blast rtr or building one up but nothing's worse than trying to make/build a rig to do things it will NEVER be capable of doing like others or your preference...
Old 08-17-2014, 09:13 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic1to View Post
That's kinda what I was getting at...the deadbolt is by far a 2.2 pro(moa) it is a shafty but I have never seen anyone build or use one in a shafty class? The only way to go IMO is to get a shafty(comp)chassis & use scx10 axles to get you what your looking for in a dominate rock crawler. I'm not throwing off on the rig at all it's just lacking comparing to moa/shafty class crawlers by a long shot!!! Any(axial)rig is a blast rtr or building one up but nothing's worse than trying to make/build a rig to do things it will NEVER be capable of doing like others or your preference...

Stop eating paint chips for lunch. You assume too much. There are more people running AR60 axles in their comp rigs all the time. D-Lux has basically led the way for everyone by showing that high backspaced wheels and a few blingtanium parts will make them better than other shafty axles used in that class.
Old 08-17-2014, 09:43 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I'm off the paint now...this guy is not gonna spend the $$$$ to make that platform(gen2 ax) work with rtr or a build up without lots of work & many changes$$$. I agree Dlux makes great parts & yes he is always coming up with new ways to do things but not for everybody(especially newbies on a budget)!!! You want bring a deadbolt/ridgecrest to our local comps with any success! Maybe a shafty chassis with a lot of goodies on those ar60's but I assume nothing that I don't know or have seen. What's funny is you always have something other than opinion to say like (eatin paint for lunch)
Old 08-17-2014, 09:59 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

The OP isn't trying to make a comp rig, he want's a capable rig to take camping and play with in his back yard. So yes, you assume too much.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:14 PM   #14
RCC Addict

This really is very simple.
Look at the aftermarket support for both choices.
Your answer is right there.
gbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:16 PM   #15
RCC Addict

He also mentioned didn't want a scale/trail rig which is what any ar60 rig is out the box. Hard to crawl with a 20t rtr... I try to go by post's & ?'s asked not my assumptions. We just have diff opinions & likes that's all...
Old 08-17-2014, 10:18 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

If I were you, I would buy what your friends have (or local club) and let's say your group is having a scale comp or going to a g6 you should get a scaler. If you can find a club that still does pro comps you might want to get one of those. I just recently bought another berg but since there are no local comps and runtime was low.... i quickly sold it and bought another scaler like everyone else here has. I would buy an scx10 (the something else option) they can be made to be very capable for not a ton of money.

Just me 2 cents.
cykb4117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:22 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sic1to View Post
He also mentioned didn't want a scale/trail rig which is what any ar60 rig is out the box. Hard to crawl with a 20t rtr... I try to go by post's & ?'s asked not my assumptions. We just have diff opinions & likes that's all...
Ummm all scx10's are scale too and their rtr 27 turn motors aren't much more crawling friendly either so either way a motor swap is most likely in the cards no matter what he decides.
Old 08-17-2014, 10:55 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfannin View Post
Well I'm trying to figure out what one would make the best first crawler.

A few local guys have axials such as the wraith, scx10, and g6. All are moded a little. They enjoy the scale look of course. I don't dislike it or anything but love the performance of a crawler.

My self I love the 2.2 moa comp crawlers and almost built a bully2 crawler. I stopped the build simple because I didn't want to spend $1000. I could watch teds vids all day

All of my back yard land scape is over sized rock 1"-4" in size with a few larger 2' bolders and lots of places to craw locally.

So what do you all think, Ax10 deadbolt or slickrock ? Something alse?

Naturally I want to run with the friends but want a crawler not so much a scale rig
I would buy Axial SCX or AX10 Deadbolt, personally I lean towards the SCX Deadbolt from what you said. Do a few simple upgrades and it will be lots of fun, durable and well supported!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 10:56 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Ummm all scx10's are scale too and their rtr 27 turn motors aren't much more crawling friendly either so either way a motor swap is most likely in the cards no matter what he decides.
How about just a spur/pinion gearing change?
<$12?
gbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 11:00 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbean View Post
How about just a spur/pinion gearing change?
<$12?
Good point but I consider things like that a given. A $30 or so lower turn motor will always be a good investment too.

axial deadbolt or slickrock - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
axial ax10 deadbolt crawlernoobie209 Newbie General 4 07-16-2014 08:50 AM
2wd axial deadbolt StraightCreepin87 Axial AX10 2nd-gen 7 04-15-2014 06:27 AM
Axial AX10 Deadbolt Lentsnh2012 General Crawlers 4 10-29-2013 12:10 PM