Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Overdrive gears!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2016, 09:04 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Question Overdrive gears!

Hey guys.

I'm trying to volt up (3s) and gear down but I've run into a slight problem. My axial HD overdrive gears won't let go of my grip-fab ARB lockers for me to change to underdrive ring/pinion.

I was planning on making a quick change to underdrive gears, but it's not going so quick, its actually not going at all, so I'm asking to see if anyone has had any issues with a 3s pack and overdrive gears? Since it would seem I need another set of lockers to use my new underdrive gears.

Before I forget, this is for my Bomber, I've given it all the VP goodies I could find/collect, so its heavier now than when I took it out of the box, but it does have a holmeshobbies puller pro 3500kv XL, and a trail master BLE esc.

I guess what I'm looking for is some solid info on how low I should gear the spur, and pinion until more lockers show up, or I should I just stick with the 2s shorty packs I've been using...
Alexander_0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2016, 06:43 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Overdrive gears!

How hot does it run on 2s? If i had to guess i would say your fine. Just keep an eye on the temps.
351Beno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:35 AM   #3
RCC Addict

The spur and pinion have a lot more impact on the overall gear ratio than the differentials. I would leave the diffs alone and change the spur/pinion so you get ratio that is between 5 and 6.

The Axial HD overdrive gears don't mesh as well as the HD stock and HD underdrive gears. So it is important to make sure they are shimmed so you don't have a lot of slop. (Not to tight with the shims either)
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:50 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I just had this issue with a felsenfest spool last night with axial OD gears no less. My solution was to back the ring gear screws out a couple turns and lay the ring gear across the jaws of my vice with the locker hanging in the gap. I gave the screw heads a few taps with the handle of a screwdriver and the locker popped off.

The OD gears don't last as long since the gear mesh is craptastic but I've had no other problems with them on 3s.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:40 AM   #5
RCC Addict

You could also try heating the gear a bit (not too much) with a torch to expand a bit. Should fall off.
Rjohn929 is offline   Reply With Quote

Overdrive gears! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
overdrive gears.? panama Axial Wraith 31 07-01-2020 01:28 AM
overdrive gears crawler pilot Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 13 11-29-2009 04:23 PM