Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Traxxas

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2019, 05:58 AM   #1

Default Traxxas

Not just so much in the crawlers Traxxas sells but maybe overall. I've read where some seam to not really like Traxxas products. Is there a specific reason are just their preference? Just curious. Thanks.

Mike
Ranch Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2019, 06:07 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Traxxas

While the Traxxas may not be for everyone, it is very feature-rich, and the quality is quite good as well.
rkj__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:27 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Some people have a hard time separating that the TRX4 isn't their Rustler from 1998 that constantly broke or their T-Maxx from 2001 that they couldn't keep running. No matter how good the TRX4 is, Traxxas automatically equates to crap in their minds because that experience 15-20 years ago.

Other people like to hate on Traxxas' practices of making common RC things more idiot-proof and therefore proprietary or perceived overly aggressive legal action on companies that include similar features on their vehicles.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:37 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Some people have a hard time separating that the TRX4 isn't their Rustler from 1998 that constantly broke
Pretty much the same Rustler you can buy today!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:57 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranch Ranger View Post
Not just so much in the crawlers Traxxas sells but maybe overall. I've read where some seam to not really like Traxxas products. Is there a specific reason are just their preference? Just curious. Thanks.

Mike
A year or two back I was at one of our local crawling events, and having a pretty good time. Waiting for my turn to run a C2 course, the two guys in front of me were talking RC. When I joined the conversation they were talking about their RC experience, both had just gotten into the hobby about six months earlier. The conversation turned to why they had gotten the trucks they had, both were running SCXii's, and in lock-step both started commenting how they'd never buy anything from Traxxas because, "Traxxas is for noobs". Apparently the guy at the LHS told them both that, and they had no other basis for their negative opinions other than that.

This goes along the same lines as Integy, a name that is synonymous for 'crap RC parts', or "proof that you can polish a turd". My experience with Integy started way back with my first E-Maxx, one small jump and my new shiny Integy bulkheads bent and screws pulled out. I have tried a couple of more Integy parts for my faster RCs with the same results, so based on personal experience, Integy parts are crap (I have had great luck with their crawler parts and motors). People hear my tale of woe about Integy, and with no experience at all, proclaim from on high that Integy is crap with no personal knowledge, this goes down the same path as Traxxas.

With that, I guess could say that I am a Traxxas fan-boy, I like their products, and really like their customer service. Traxxas has historically bent hard towards RCs targeted for the new RCer, ergo, noob, and that has gotten then a bad name for people who like more 'advanced' kits. Plus, since the MT class has died out from the racing scene, Traxxas has had zero higher level track presence. I do not like how Traxxas has realized that they are the 800lbs gorilla of RC, and has imposed some ridiculous requirements on LHSs to sell their wares.

Also, until recently, Traxxas has not had a "crawl-worthy" RC. They made a very laughable attempt at it with the Telluride. Which, like the dragster, flopped like a pancake. But, with the introduction of the TRX4 and versions that have followed, they have established themselves firmly into our little niche of the hobby.

If is kind of ironic that Traxxas has/had such a bad name in crawling for so long, prior to the original AX10 coming out, the transmission of choice for most of us was the Traxxas Magnum 272, which is what is found in all of Traxxas' 2WD electric RCs.

Last edited by Greatscott; 03-11-2019 at 07:00 AM.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:45 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

i dislike traxxass for a few reasons first there the bullies of the rc world sueing everyone over bs ya i read the lawsuit and the claim was how the shocks were mounted total bs under those standerds axial could sue traxxass over the trx4 s3t up lol they push hobbie stores around and everyone of my traxxass products went up in smoke in a pack or less i do like some of there stuff though i have a villian iv i realy like and i realy like the trx4 frame rails but i only ran the boat 2 times and already replaced the entire drive train in general i feel like the hole company is represented by the last 3 letters of there name traxxass or atleast my spelling of there name lol

Last edited by ferp420; 03-11-2019 at 07:47 AM.
ferp420 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:52 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

When I see Traxxas owners at the hobby shop they remind me of those mall crawling, bro-dozer owners that bought their truck/Jeep/H2 already jacked up on 22” wheels with rubber band mudders.

My last LHS visit solidified this experience as when I pulled in there was a Jeep Wrangler sitting there. 33/1250-20 tires. No lift. 5000 watts of LEDs. Stupid spare tire cover on a stock spare.
Brake Weight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:53 AM   #8
Gold Star Baby!

History and reputation aside, generally the only people I know that express dislike for the trx4 never had one.

It’s a great truck.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:56 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post
History and reputation aside, generally the only people I know that express dislike for the trx4 never had one.

It’s a great truck.

That’s understandable. I’m referencing Traxxas pre TRX. Guy inside was arguing the clerk as to why he couldn’t mount a 60 or 70mm outrunner to his Rustler. Was telling the clerk his NiMh were better than any Lipo. I wanted to video this clown but instead just grabbed what I wanted and bolted.
Brake Weight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:02 AM   #10
Gold Star Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
That’s understandable. I’m referencing Traxxas pre TRX. Guy inside was arguing the clerk as to why he couldn’t mount a 60 or 70mm outrunner to his Rustler. Was telling the clerk his NiMh were better than any Lipo. I wanted to video this clown but instead just grabbed what I wanted and bolted.
I can’t remember what I was watching, I think it was Behind the Curve, but there’s a psychology to this that boils down to the more you learn and understand something you realize you don’t know as much as you thought, but conversely humans with a little bit of knowledge in a new subject can fool themselves into believing their experts. I’m sure we’ve all done it at some point, seems to be part of human nature.

With that being said, as traxxas is great at getting new people into the hobby perhaps it’s their customer’s newness and excitement causing that false confidence, rather than them being a traxxas owner. I know I was over the moon with learning about this stuff my first year into the hobby.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:37 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Any of my negative comments or thoughts on Traxxas are based on personal experience and preference PRE TRX4. I haven't owned a TRX4 as when they originally came out I didn't want the overcomplications of multi speed transmission and selectable locking differentials, I don't have that excuse anymore as the sport exists. I detest the body of the sport and like most generally hate the stock electronics on pretty much everything, but this new sport builders kit has striked my attention and I may acquire one in an attempt to make a Ford Ranger out of it. Time will tell.
DukeMinnix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:46 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

I have a theory that most of us deep in the hobby are kind of like R/C hipsters in the sense that we think the mainstream is lame, and Traxxas RTR's are basically our Starbucks.

Some of their stuff is just undeniably cool (UDR, TRX4 Blazer, etc) and the fact that they're making more unassembled kits is going to make it even harder for us grumpy hobbyists to dislike them.

Last edited by TooOldForThis; 03-11-2019 at 08:48 AM.
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:01 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooOldForThis View Post
I have a theory that most of us deep in the hobby are kind of like R/C hipsters in the sense that we think the mainstream is lame, and Traxxas RTR's are basically our Starbucks.
Pretty much. It's cool to hate Traxxas because that means you're not a noob. Or something.

Good thing I never worried about being cool.

I started this crazy hobby with a used Stampede 4x4. It's still the only Traxxas vehicle that I own. Unfortunately, I forgot to start hating Traxxas when I moved on to other vehicles.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:10 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pant Danza View Post
I can’t remember what I was watching, I think it was Behind the Curve, but there’s a psychology to this that boils down to the more you learn and understand something you realize you don’t know as much as you thought, but conversely humans with a little bit of knowledge in a new subject can fool themselves into believing their experts. I’m sure we’ve all done it at some point, seems to be part of human nature.
I believe it's called the Dunning-Kruger effect

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:17 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Here's how I live my life, I get what I want and like and I don't care what anyone else thinks about it. I grew up in a Chevy Old's and GM world but I'm not brand loyal if I like it I buy it, I've had Fords, GMs Chryslers, and some foreign cars, right now I'm on my 3rd Hemi Ram. Same goes for my RC world if I like it I buy it who cares what anyone else thinks.
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:21 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeMinnix View Post
I didn't want the overcomplications of multi speed transmission and selectable locking differentials, I don't have that excuse anymore as the sport exists. I detest the body of the sport...

I'm know you're not alone there.

As a noob entering RC/crawling, I was advised to avoid the Traxxas, due to the "overcomplications." I also wanted a licensed body.

It seems like a RTR TRX4 Sport, with a licensed body might appeal to some buyers.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:26 AM   #17

Traxxas is a great company. People can bash them all they'd like, but they have helped this industry. They put RTRs on the maps and got nitro RCs into a lot of hands back in the 90's. Then they did the same with electric. They got RCs into mainstream stores like Pep Boys. They spend more money advertising RC than probably any other RC company in history.

Some Traxxas vehicles get a bad rap and I think a lot of it is unfair. There are people that say the Slash is junk and it's not durable. My 6 year old nephew has proven otherwise. You can't get a better beginner basher than a Slash and it starts at only $190 RTR. That's a steal!

People that say Traxxas is bad because of lawsuits just don't understand that patents are there for a reason. Traxxas has to enforce their patents or they are meaningless. Blame the patent infringing companies not Traxxas for protecting their intellectual property.

I think Traxxas is changing. The TRX-4 is super high quality and they have now released two kits. They also are releasing a Stamped 4x4 kit. This is huge! Hopefully they update some of their old models to be more durable and up to date, but even if they don't it doesn't mean they are bad vehicles.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:51 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
They got RCs into mainstream stores like Pep Boys. They spend more money advertising RC than probably any other RC company in history.

Good points. Prior to shopping for my first hobby grade RC in December, I had never heard of Axial, Vaterra, Redcat, or really any other RC brand, but I sure had heard of Traxxas. Why? Because like you mentioned, they are sold in some mainstream stores, and advertised to the extent that occasionally reaches the general public.

Even if random boy Johnny picks up a Traxxas RTR, breaks it, then buys another RC brand, that's still +1 for participation in the hobby, which most seem to agree, would be a good thing.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:12 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

The TRX4 is a good truck. As far as the company goes, I'm more annoyed at some of their marketing of their non-crawler stuff if anything. Doesn't really matter to me though, because I'm not their target market, and I'm only interested in the TRX4.

I do however read and see a lot of opposing Traxxas views, but I'm sure there are 2 sides to every story.

Hobbyfever went on a rant, but maybe it was a breach of contract?
https://hobbyfever.com

Interview with the Arrma founder answering a question regarding the Traxxas lawsuit.

There's also the fact that Traxxas is based in Texas where a lot of "patent trolls" base their operations adding fuel to the fire as well.

Why Do Patent Trolls Go to Texas? It’s Not for the BBQ

Last edited by soze; 03-11-2019 at 10:17 AM.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:19 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
The TRX4 is a good truck. As far as the company goes, I'm more annoyed at some of their marketing of their non-crawler stuff if anything. Doesn't really matter to me though, because I'm not their target market, and I'm only interested in the TRX4.

I do however read and see a lot of opposing Traxxas views, but I'm sure there are 2 sides to every story.

Hobbyfever went on a rant, but maybe it was a breach of contract?
https://hobbyfever.com

Interview with the Arrma founder answering a question regarding the Traxxas lawsuit.

There's also the fact that Traxxas is based in Texas where a lot of "patent trolls" base their operations adding fuel to the fire as well.
My LHS got busted by Traxxas for selling their stuff to Canada. I'm sure Hobby Fever did something like that as well and not because they were "selling too much".

And this line in particular seems very spiteful towards Traxxas. "If you own a TRAXXAS model, be prepared to buy your equipment directly from TRAXXAS as more hobby shops close."

Yes, when hobby shops close you'll have to order elsewhere. But Traxxas seems to be protecting hobby shops by ensuring fixed pricing, so they can compete with online companies, and ensuring they only sell within their territory. Not sure how that's bad for LHS.

The Arrma founder talking about the Traxxas lawsuit...that should be interesting. I'll have to watch it. I'm sure he's not biased in the matter...
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Traxxas - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FREE Traxxas AC Fast Charge Adapter W/ Purchase of Select Traxxas Models! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 11-12-2018 04:50 PM