Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Kyosho rampage pro - no moa!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2019, 12:08 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Kyosho rampage pro - no moa!

this is good stuff to know. as long as the conversion doesn't prevent it from being returned to original config, i think it should be ok and worth trying.

kudos to fxman for doing what we all thought should be done with this truck!

as for adding weight over the back, im sure those spare tires would be key. brass beadlock rings, beef patties, etc would all help!
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2019, 02:27 AM   #42
RCC Addict

Finally got mine after being on back order for weeks at Tower. I gotta say for a $200 kit the quality is much better than I expected. The plastics are nice and strong and the shocks are incredible for the money. I've never been a huge Kyosho fan but I'm impressed.

Last edited by Killa-Cotton; 10-29-2019 at 02:30 AM.
Killa-Cotton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 04:08 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Just got one myself. Haven't run it yet. This conversion and ideas are cool for sure

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
FormallySkullking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2019, 10:52 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Kyosho are you watching ? Do a rerelease and make the truck like this , since it’s how you SHOULD have done it in the beginning
sb4pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 04:08 AM   #45
RCC Addict

What wheels and tires on this rig? The ones pictured on the first page. Thank you
salmonfacesalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 07:48 AM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmonfacesalad View Post
What wheels and tires on this rig? The ones pictured on the first page. Thank you
Wheels look to be LockedUpRC Recluse 1.9" and tires I believe are the Falken AT3W All Terrains that come with the ECX Barrage.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:37 AM   #47
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
Wheels look to be LockedUpRC Recluse 1.9" and tires I believe are the Falken AT3W All Terrains that come with the ECX Barrage.
Much appreciated
salmonfacesalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 06:40 PM   #48

With all this lockdown palava i'm considering this option for my yet-as-unbuilt kit.

I don't have much experience with the SCX10 platform (apart from owning a 2-speed gearbox that i'm intending to use here), so can a standard SCX10 axle/housing be used? What about the AR44 axle on the 10.2, does that give a better pinion angle? What upper link length did you end up using? And, are the dimensions/measurements of the tranny adapter mount available?

TIA!
hamsterrorist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 12:53 AM   #49

Have been slowly figuring things out. Realised that my 2-speed box won't work unless I run it reversed, then I need to try and find clearance for the end of the slipper assembly.

But anyways, using the axle, top links and driveshaft from my RGT 86100 (sorry girl, i'll put you back together) it doesn't look to bad so far.

Sway bar mounts are great, but the sway bar itself will ideally need to be cut/replaced to suit the narrower dimensions.

Will make a tranny mount and work that all out in the next few days hopefully. With that i'm trying to also work out where best to place the Rx and ESC, but also working out a strengthening plate that would replace the Rx cover (that kinda locks the whole chassis together).

Last edited by hamsterrorist; 04-14-2020 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:33 AM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Will you guys please just stop! 😡

All of these cool ideas are gonna bankrupt me!🤣
No joke!! With all this sitting around, ideas like this don't help any!

And now I have one on backorder. Thanks... What's the wheel size you're running on this?
turbodan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 08:48 PM   #51

Just subbed to this forum after looking at these sick pics. My outlaw is on order and I have access to multiple 3d printers. Will definitely follow and possibly attempt this project because it looks super interesting! Out of the RC game for a while.
Stayalive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 08:57 PM   #52

VERY slow progress (lacking some material to make the proper tranny mount), but figured out a couple of things.

This is just sitting in place to do some measurements. Plate will hold tranny as well as providing the necessary chassis brace. Will have to be raised a little bit to clear a hardpack LiPo though. At least mounted this way i'll be able to use the 2-speed as there's now room for the servo (not fitted at the moment).

Sway bar mounts are a bit off on the axle i'm using at the moment so i've removed the whole sway bar assy until I get a bit further down the track.

Old 04-14-2020, 09:20 PM   #53
RCC Addict

The pinion angle is the most difficult issue to overcome. The truck has a lot of rear suspension travel. The easiest thing is too mount the trans at an angle to ease the pinion angle at the axle
Old 04-14-2020, 09:21 PM   #54

This looks sick. The top plate would be very easy to design and print in 3D once I get my model in I could easily start modeling some working prototype.

What parts do i need to buy exactly, I'm seeing a lot of axles and gearboxes but theres not much information on ebay and im guessing its all just housings and no internal components.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:27 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa-Cotton View Post
The pinion angle is the most difficult issue to overcome. The truck has a lot of rear suspension travel. The easiest thing is too mount the trans at an angle to ease the pinion angle at the axle

Not seeing any angle issue at the moment, but I think that's also coz the sway bars were acting as limiting straps. Top link length will help with angle as well (i'm just using the RGT ones I pilfered along with the axle).

Proof will be in the pudding of course once I get it all done and running.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:33 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stayalive View Post
This looks sick. The top plate would be very easy to design and print in 3D once I get my model in I could easily start modeling some working prototype.

What parts do i need to buy exactly, I'm seeing a lot of axles and gearboxes but theres not much information on ebay and im guessing its all just housings and no internal components.

I've been flogging some parts from my RGT crawler, but it's a lightweight loadout:

- Axial SCX10 (or similar) axle - complete, housing, axle, pinion/crown, etc
- longer top links (haven't measured mine but around SCX10 length)
- SCX10 (or similar) transmission/motor mount
- ~110mm driveshaft

That's it. Then an adapter plate for the tranny, and some way of bracing the chassis (coz the normal receiver box that isn't used now would normally have done hat). Will have to get creative around ESC and Rx locations, some fiddling with the sway bar depending on axle, and some adjustment of the inner cage so it clears the tranny.

I'm using an RC4WD 2-speed SCX10 tranny myself, and the rear axle and driveshaft from an RGT 86100 crawler (just to get it worked out, will go with an SCX10 axle in the end).

That white adapter plate is just a piece of ice-cream container lid i'm using to work out the proper shape (which was vaguely traced from the original receiver box/cover).
Old 04-14-2020, 09:42 PM   #57
RCC Addict

The pinion angle issue will show up at full suspension droop. With access to a 3d printer a 30-45 deg trans wedge wouldn't be too hard to make.

Old 04-14-2020, 09:48 PM   #58

True. Like I said i'm not seeing any real angle issue at the moment as my droop isn't quite as much as yours with how the sway bars are currently working. I'm planning to run limiting straps anyways, they made a world of difference to my Baja Rey with high speed cornering.
But it's early daze with my build anyway

Last edited by hamsterrorist; 04-14-2020 at 09:51 PM.
Old 04-15-2020, 10:46 AM   #59

Look like this guy on instagram has attempted a conversion as well https://www.instagram.com/p/B-5Pylhjqbd/
Old 04-15-2020, 06:18 PM   #60
Quarry Creeper

GUYS! I did not forget about this project. Life work and other things (1:1 projects) came up - but as there were visitors on this thread, I finally had to get back to it.

I tried the OG SCX trans over and over but as Killa-Cotton pointed out, the angle is too steep. The output is just sitting too high. So, then I thought, i put it all the way in the front and ended up with a ridiculous long drive shaft.
Also, The motor was too high up. Bad COG. So - drumroll - here it is. My solution that works best so far:

A SCX10 II kit transmission!

I finally cut a chunk out of the chassis and managed to get the transfer case way down. I used some sheet metal and made a temporary bracket to hold the
transfer case in place. It turned out to be pretty strong actually.

Name:  Rampage_1.jpg
Views: 1956
Size:  73.6 KB
Name:  Rampage_2.jpg
Views: 1988
Size:  132.4 KB
Name:  Rampage_3.jpg
Views: 1964
Size:  119.7 KB
Name:  Rampage_4.jpg
Views: 1954
Size:  97.6 KB
Name:  Rampage_5.jpg
Views: 1911
Size:  87.0 KB
Name:  Rampage_6.jpg
Views: 1886
Size:  85.6 KB
Name:  Rampage_7.jpg
Views: 1907
Size:  82.2 KB
Name:  Rampage_0.jpg
Views: 2047
Size:  72.0 KB

Now, it still looks like too much angle on the drive shaft, but this is already a gain of about an inch!

I made a simple battery mount and drove it around the driveway (video to follow, after I painted it*). Only when completely in the air, the axle collapses this much. And the drive shaft still turns fine. So, during regular driving, the angle is at a decent angle and compressed, it is straight (dang, I forgot that pic).

The only downside with the kit trans is, that it uses pretty much all of the chassis. I put a 3S 2200mAh right in between the steering servo and the transmission, and it barely fits. But I wanted to keep stuff as low as possible.

* Thought I go for a simple pre-runner look (not the same MY, I know...). Anybody better ideas?

Name:  pr8.jpg
Views: 1981
Size:  65.1 KB
fxman is offline   Reply With Quote

Kyosho rampage pro - no moa! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kyosho outlaw rampage pro soze Chit Chat 202 09-04-2021 07:19 PM
NEW Kyosho Outlaw Rampage PRO 2WD Kit - In Stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 08-05-2019 10:03 AM
Pre-order NOW! The NEW Kyosho Outlaw Rampage PRO 2WD Kit - Pre-order Now! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 05-09-2019 05:06 PM
Rampage MT PRO ATV Richalaska Videos! 3 03-10-2016 05:43 AM
Kyosho Outlaw Rampage Truck grizzlypaugh Non Crawler RC's 5 04-11-2012 04:14 AM