Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Need Some Help With Crawler Decision

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2020, 03:27 PM   #1

Default Need Some Help With Crawler Decision

As you can tell from my post count, I am fairly new to crawling but I have done a lot of research. I want to get a really good crawler and I have pretty much decided to go with the TRX4 Sport or the TRX4 Defender. I know that the Defender is not a dedicated crawler but it does have some other items that make it appealing with the 2 speed transmission which might be nice in certain situations and the really scale aspect of the vehicle. I also know it is top heavy as it comes when it is compared to the TRX4 Sport.

I have read great things about both vehicles and am aware of their differences and similarities. Whichever one I do wind up getting, I would do a number of modifications, some specific to the vehicle and some not. For example, I would for sure put different tires and wheels along with a high torque servo with a metal horn on both of these. I would most likely do some other specific mods based upon all the research I have done.

Sorry for the long intro but this brings me to my question. If you bought either one of these vehicles and put some of the best mods on each to make them the best they could be.....which one would you get?

Thanks in advance,
Keith
Harleyflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-28-2020, 03:30 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Need Some Help With Crawler Decision

Welcome to RCC!
I have both and both are great trucks it's your decision what features you want. I upgraded my Sport with the 2 speed and lockable diffs. Both respond well to the same mods such as steering servo and portal weights which is not surprising since they are the same chassis. The Defender body is more top heavy but is more scale. There really is not much else I can add, at some point you have to make a decision what you want but you can't go wrong with either.

Last edited by Inspector86; 05-28-2020 at 03:40 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 05:55 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I bought the Sport Kit a few weeks back and built it with my son. I already had all the electronics so it was pretty cost effective. That hasn’t stopped me from upgrading the motor and as for the 2speed and lockers, those can be added later if you really want them. The Sport is considered to be more capable and I’ve had great fun with mine.
Forker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 08:54 PM   #4

I appreciate the input guys! I know they are both good vehicles. I just need to make a decision!
Old 05-28-2020, 10:30 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I had the defender .. and to be honest with you it's only good for trail running as the COG is very high and it's pretty tippy
The 2 speed is cool and all but pretty useless on the rocks .. that's my opinion

Just get the sport and upgrade as needed
Regardless of whatever one you get your gonna wanna replace the traxxas motor

Have fun with your decision and money pit lol
A 400.00 truck is gonna cost ya 700 and up when your done with upgrades

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
aiden102408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 07:14 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I'm about to get a TRX-4 kit myself, why don't you get a kit with the 2-speed and such, and top it with a Sport body? Wouldn't that be the best of both worlds? All the fancyness, but not top heavy. Or have I missed something?
Antsiranean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiden102408 View Post
I had the defender .. and to be honest with you it's only good for trail running as the COG is very high and it's pretty tippy
The 2 speed is cool and all but pretty useless on the rocks .. that's my opinion

Just get the sport and upgrade as needed
Regardless of whatever one you get your gonna wanna replace the traxxas motor

Have fun with your decision and money pit lol
A 400.00 truck is gonna cost ya 700 and up when your done with upgrades

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
If I did swap out the motor, do you have a recommendation? I assume if I swap I would go with brushless? I was already looking at going with a Hobbywing 1080 esc if I went with the Sport.
Old 05-29-2020, 08:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antsiranean View Post
I'm about to get a TRX-4 kit myself, why don't you get a kit with the 2-speed and such, and top it with a Sport body? Wouldn't that be the best of both worlds? All the fancyness, but not top heavy. Or have I missed something?
Honestly, I was trying reduce the amount of work I would need to do. That coupled with I didn’t want to have to paint the body either. Maybe I will get into that in the future but I was trying to avoid that for now.
Old 06-22-2020, 07:23 PM   #9

I have a follow-up question from all the research I have been doing. I know if I kept the stock brushed motor on a TRX4 Sport I would get a Hobbywing 1080 esc. However, if I decided to go with a brushless setup I am thinking about the Hobbywing AXE 540 brushless setup. For the 540, they have 1200kv, 1800kv, or 2300 kv. If I plan to keep the single speed and I am only using this for crawling, which should kv motor should I get? I want very good control for uphill/downhill.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-22-2020, 08:16 PM   #10
RCC Addict

I’ll pitch in on the brushed side of things. I’m running the Holmes Hobbies 21T 550 can with a hobbywing 1080. Been pretty happy with it so far. I am running a defender that’s been converted to a Bronco. So I have the lockers and 2 speed. But in high gear, the guy I was running with thought it was brushless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fricker08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:07 AM   #11

Another thing to consider with the defender is that with the locking diffs and 2 speed transmission, there is more to go wrong on the trail. You have 3 more servos, which means 3 more failing points. Also 3 more servos to replace/upgrade. I have the Bronco and the sport trx4, the high gear in the bronco is only used on open trails to go fast, other than that I don’t use it. So you have to ask yourself what trails are you running that you can use the 2 speed. I find my sport to be fast enough. I use my sport more than my bronco. Sometimes simper is better. Good luck and you’ll enjoy either rig
nucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 06:28 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I have done a few competitions with my TRX4. I have the two speed with selectable lockers. I changed the body tires, ESC, motor. Got rid of everything not needed and weigh under 8lbs.

Some events I can't open and lock the lockers, others I can. There are advantages to being able to open and close the lockers. I never use the 2 speed transmission in competitions.

The ONLY reason a stock Sport crawls better than a Defender is because of it over sized and over weight body.. it you get rid of the big heavy body and learn how and when to lock your diffs and which ones you will be able to crawl better.

Last edited by MOguy; 06-23-2020 at 06:39 PM.
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 07:26 PM   #13

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. Always good to get different perspectives.
Old 06-28-2020, 04:49 PM   #14
RCC Addict

The Hobbywing AXE 540 system is not all that great and reviews of it are mixed at best. By contrast, the HW 1080WP works surprisingly well with the stock Traxxas Titan 21t 550 motor. For $42 the HW 1080 is by a wide margin the best value for the money. If you combine the HW 1080 with a Holmes Hobbies Crawlmaster Sport you have a really nice smooth powerful setup for a total of $62.

Last edited by Inspector86; 06-28-2020 at 04:56 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 11:06 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Not sure what the issue people have with the Axe. I guess change is just hard for some. lol

I have 2 of them now. Both work Great. Sure I have been out of RC since 2012, but at the end of the day, ESCs today are only bigger, with few if any real upgrades.
Most of that has been in how many companies there are using Hobbywing Gear in their RTR Rigs. lol

Both my axes are working pretty well honestly. I can get stoooooopid slow speeds, and the 3300/550 Combo on 3s with a 14T pinion (5mm shaft) is at least as fast as the TRX's here in 2nd gear. Maybe a bit faster, and I can go slower at the wheel when needed.

A well calibrated radio/esc for Operation is key, but at the end of the day, I really like them. I've ran the Novak Rooster, and a dozen Mamba options back before I got out, including some HH motors. Nothing against these rigs, but nothing against the Axe Rig. I am digging mine. Obviously, I bought the 3300/550 Combo because I like how the system worked in the RedCat Gen8.

Not only do I have the 2 Axe systems, there is a Justock esc in my 2018 Xray F1, and I just bought a used 4x4 Slash with a Max8/2200 Xerun Combo.
Obviously these last 2 are not AXE systems.
One really cool think I like about the AXE is being able to Bluetooth in from the phone and have fully program control right on the screen.

So far, I'm Good. I'll probably end up with a CC/Holmes combo or something similar as some point, but at this point, If I need to buy a system for a crawler, Ima get another Axe setup.
Been Looking at a SCX10III and a Bomber, or Rock Rey, and already have my AXE Combos picked out when I'm ready go spend.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 08:18 PM   #16

I appreciate the input that I have received. Based on this and the research I have done, I know what I will do for my first crawler and that is to get a TRX4 Sport. It seems to be a great platform for my first dedicated crawler.

Having said that, I just purchased two Holmes Hobbies 500 V3 servos that I plan to use in two crawler projects. One will go in the TRX4 Sport with a number of other modifications and the other servo will go into another crawler, which brings me to my question. I do like the TRX4 Defender, but I’m not sure it is different enough to make me go that direction. Don’t get me wrong, I do really like it and it seems like a great and wonderful platform. However, there is something that really draws me to the TRX6 Mercedes. I REALLY like it as it seems different and capable enough to to keep my interest. If I go the TRX6, I would definitely go brushless in that along with my HH servo. I would be interested in anyone’s opinions about this or if anyone has some other suggestions for a good 2nd crawler project, I would certainly be interested in your opinions.

Just for the record, I do have an Axial RR10 Bomber V2 that I got not too long ago that I am enjoying a lot but it is stock for now.

Decisions....Decisions......:-)

Thanks in advance!
Keith

Last edited by Harleyflyer; 07-16-2020 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-19-2020, 05:35 PM   #17

I bought few weeks ago Sport as my first crawler, in the kit version, decision was easy, I wanted to know as much as possible about the construction of the car and Sport is the cheapest version but still capable of all the upgrades of other trx4 models, so if I don’t like crawling, my wallet will not bleed that much Also I already have Radio for my other RCs.

Unfortunately it is bleeding more and more as the Axe went in, last week also 2 speed transmission and bedlocks and new body is on the way I should not mention ongoing research for some upgrade shocks and maybe different shocktowers

Carabei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:13 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carabei View Post
I bought few weeks ago Sport as my first crawler, in the kit version, decision was easy, I wanted to know as much as possible about the construction of the car and Sport is the cheapest version but still capable of all the upgrades of other trx4 models, so if I don’t like crawling, my wallet will not bleed that much Also I already have Radio for my other RCs.

Unfortunately it is bleeding more and more as the Axe went in, last week also 2 speed transmission and bedlocks and new body is on the way I should not mention ongoing research for some upgrade shocks and maybe different shocktowers

Do the shock towers first and then see if you still want to change your shocks. What is it about the shocks you don't like?
MOguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:39 AM   #19

Travel distance. Stock have 25mm, so I will probably go to gmade which have 31mm travel, those have also bleeders, so it is hell easier to build them, maybe piggybacks with possibility of changing shock settings without rebuilding them. With longer travel I can use 90mm ones maintaining better flex with slight droop to lower the CG, 6mm should make a difference.

Stock trx4 shock towers are plastic, therefore also panhardt mount is plastic and it means it bends instead of steering sometimes. Also third party shocks are easier to mount on some of alu shocktowers together with multiple points of mounting.

Carabei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 12:58 PM   #20

Don't know if you are new to the hobby also. I just built my first truck 2 weeks ago. It was my first RC ever. I went with the trx4 sport kit. Since I didn't have any prior rc experience I wanted to take the time to learn the parts of the truck. As I also don't off road real trucks either. So my knowledge across the board was lacking.

Now my experience was awesome. Loved putting the truck together. Gave me the basic knowledge to where I know I can fix it when it breaks.

Allowed me to see weaker parts in the kit. That I will fix later.

The kit was very easy to put together and.clear instruction book. I used the provided tools as I wanted to see how easy it would be all inclusive. Better tools would have been nice to have for sure. But not a deal breaker.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk
ParkeyOh is offline   Reply With Quote

Need Some Help With Crawler Decision - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help with decision sled Axial SCX-10 14 05-01-2015 03:05 PM
I made the right decision (first crawler) DogSpoon Axial XR10 9 06-06-2012 07:51 PM
Well I finally made a decision on a Rock crawler roberts_toys Axial AX-10 Scorpion 4 03-21-2009 04:29 AM
Need help with a decision. fasttimes!! General Scale Talk 1 07-28-2007 12:40 AM
Help with a decision. payableondeath6 Newbie General 9 01-12-2007 11:52 AM