Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: PROJECT BD

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2004, 08:47 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: PROJECT BD

Next to the Digler. The Kongs are almost taller than the new truck.

DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2004, 08:50 AM   #22
I wanna be Dave

A possibility! Narrowed Jumbo Clawz on home brew wheels

Old 06-01-2004, 09:13 AM   #23
Rock Crawler

Wow- That's going to have an extremely low CoG. Very nice work! Those custom tires/wheels look killer too!

Destroyer
Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 09:31 AM   #24
Rock Stacker

what tranny are you running in that? TXT or Emaxx
ultralord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2004, 09:34 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Right now, I have a TXT tranny in it. I may go to the Emaxx tranny that I have sitting around because it's narrower. I may even go to a stampede tranny that I have waiting as well. I have had a lot of luck with the TXT tranny and I'm a bit partial to them. However, the motors sit very high in it, as does the Emaxx. The stampede tranny would put the motor much lower, which is my debate. You can see the motors through the window of my Jeep body in the pics.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:38 AM   #26
Rock Crawler

I saw in some other post that someone had rotated the motors on the E-Maxx tranny to the side. Maybe you could try that to lower the weight so you could use the narrow tranny.

Destroyer
Old 06-01-2004, 09:40 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Yep. I have seen similar set ups....even with the tranny upside down. Scary drive shafts angles, as well as no belly clearance at all! I mocked up tranny mounting positions and found that the best way was to mount it "stock".
Old 06-01-2004, 09:45 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Just wait til the Savage shocks are poking through the hood. They will provide 90% down travel. I've always wanted to do it and finally saw someone pull it off. I think it was Rockraider......the guy with the Orange Bronco up in Oregon. I may not even use a body after the suspension is complete.
Old 06-01-2004, 09:52 AM   #29
Rock Crawler

IT's going to look pretty cool. How much flex are you planning on it having? I'm trying to get my truck to have more down travel than compression as well.

Destroyer
Old 06-01-2004, 09:57 AM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Well,
in the top pic, the front tire is on a horse shampoo bottle that is about 9 inches tall. That's about all it'll have. Hard to tell exactally at this point because I have a long way to go. The suspension design is what is going to take so long.
Old 06-01-2004, 04:58 PM   #31
I wanna be Dave

I love the shocks through the body idea, just looks cool, not to mention allows you to get it nice and low! Saw a 1:1 buggy with it out on the con this weekend, it was sick!!

Why is there a shampoo bottle just lying around? 8O
SR5Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 08:24 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

When you have horses......there always seems to be that kind of shit lying around all the time. It's endless work!!!!!......and MONEY!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-02-2004, 10:59 AM   #33
RCC Addict

Nice nice man! Looks good. This project has got some ideas floating around in my head, but I need to find another roller TXT first. There will be major frame removal on this new crawler I am thinking about!
bustedcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 11:09 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

I may end up using an original TXT chasis on this project after all. They are just sooooo strong and easy to cut up the way you want. I'm still experimenting with many ideas so the final outcome is still undetermined.
Old 06-02-2004, 11:27 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkDigler
When you have horses......there always seems to be that kind of shit lying around all the time. It's endless work!!!!!......and MONEY!!!!!!!!!
AND you have horses? Dude, lets exchange lives. You can be 20 again? huh? huh?
Old 06-02-2004, 11:38 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

I'm only 33. 13 years ain't enough. If I was like, 60, then I'd probably do it. As for the horses....yep....got two now and another one about to be purchased. It's cool and all......but I've got over $100k invested in the whole shabang!!!!! That's why I'm allowed to spend any amount of money on my cheap little RC hobby. My wife can't complain when I compare the RC cars to her horses. Hell.....I make all the money anyway.....she doesn't even have a job!!!!!!!!! Demanding wives!!!! I'm sure Las VegasHarley agrees with me on this one!!!!! He's my bro in law!!!
Harley.....please take you sister back......she's driving me to the poor house!!!!!!!
Old 06-02-2004, 11:48 PM   #37
RCC Addict

That is why I am encouraging my gf to got med school and be a doctor! She thinks the 40-50K of a starting engineer is a little on the small side. So she can become a doctor, make mad money, and I will use HER money to cover all the normal living stuff and spend my messealy money on my weird redneck toys
Old 06-03-2004, 09:53 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bustedcrawler
That is why I am encouraging my gf to got med school and be a doctor! She thinks the 40-50K of a starting engineer is a little on the small side. So she can become a doctor, make mad money, and I will use HER money to cover all the normal living stuff and spend my messealy money on my weird redneck toys
My GF's dad IS a Doctor, she has a trust fund AND wants to be a psychologist She has also said she'd love it if I'd be a 'home making husband'

Sorry Dirk, was there a thread here? :p Your rig actually sounds a big like mine, 5" of clearance and 15" Wheel base. Like you've seen in the pics the body sits between the wheels. Its fun having something low and slow
Old 06-04-2004, 12:22 AM   #39
RCC Addict

My GF got her interest in medicene from her Doctor Dad.

But on topic, I want to see a body off pic, or you need to pm me one Dirk. Not sure if you are doing what I am thinking about or not. Can't give out my secrets now, so I am not saying anything.
Old 06-09-2004, 07:35 AM   #40
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: PROJECT BD Gotta See Pics!!!

Here is the progress. Still.........a LONG way to go!!!