Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: RC Rock Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2005, 09:26 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

it wouldn't be one or the other. we could have both at comps, i know the Flatirons has perfect terrain for rock racing and crawling. imagine gassing full throttle up some of those steep flatrock hills.

as for nitro only, i dont like that idea.....especially since i just bought an Emaxx

i think that rock racing would bring much more attention to crawling just because it's more exciting, crawling takes time for people to develop a taste for it.
Vitamin_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2005, 09:29 PM   #22
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Scientist
While Rock Racing can be cool to watch and participate in real life, I have a feeling that if it were to catch on in the RC community, it would somehow undermine all the work that has been put into making true competition level crawling a legitimate branch of the RC hobby. I see it as a regression back to the days when crawling was a full throttle, headlong rush at a pile of rocks.

Yet, I am always interested in seeing a new niche of RC develop, and I feel there may be a chance for Rock Racing. Here is what I propose - make RC Rock Racing a "Nitro-Only" event. This will differentiate true Crawlers from the Racers. Instead of taking a Crawl-Ready rig and gearing it up, this will encourage further development of Nitro vehicles and may lead to some ground-breaking engineering. Just look at what Crawling has done for electric. And plus, if you are gonna bomb up a hill at full throttle, wouldn't it just be plain cool to do it with Nitro?

Nitro rock racing good idea!!!:smile:
lukedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 09:36 PM   #23
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukedog
Nitro rock racing good idea!!!:smile:
i've seen nitro hill-climbing, that's really cool!
Old 05-11-2005, 09:48 PM   #24
The Wheels Keep Turning

we did rock racing style stages at our last comp and it went over very well. From now on at our comps we will do a stage for points (regular points), then run the stage again rock racing style. it's a blast for both the spectators and the drivers. A ton of fun!
kevinlongisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 09:48 PM   #25
RCC Addict

Thats a great idea Kevin!
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 09:54 PM   #26
The Wheels Keep Turning

we haven't exactly figured out how we will convert the time into points that can go into the totals. My idea was to divide the total time in seconds by 10, round it off, and that's your score. So if you did it in 38 seconds, 38/10=3.8 , round of to 4, that's your total plus any gate offences.

On the rock racing stages, there were no penalties other than gate markers. No reverse, no rollover (just no foward progress on reposition), nada. Just the gate markers to make sure everyone runs along the same course/lines. It's fast paced and lots of fun.
kevinlongisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 10:13 PM   #27
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitamin_J
it wouldn't be one or the other. we could have both at comps, i know the Flatirons has perfect terrain for rock racing and crawling. imagine gassing full throttle up some of those steep flatrock hills.
I think it would be harder to find spots for this type of event with nitros. You would get shut down instantly at most of the places I crawl, including Flatirons, with a nitro truck. IMO

I do like the new twist, it's similar to the trials comps we are getting together here in Co. It'll be based purely on time with simpler rigs.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 10:17 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

yeah, i agree on the nitro's bender. they're loud.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:24 PM   #29
2006 2.2 National Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitamin_J
yeah, i agree on the nitro's bender. they're loud.
I love the sound, but it sucks people get so pissy over it. It'd be cool to do on a camping weekend, find a good spot away from everyone and let it rip.
Old 05-11-2005, 10:54 PM   #30
I wanna be Dave

Exactly what bender was saying. Nitro would be a no go because of sound. Most of the good rocky areas are in parks of some kind. There'd be hippies calling on their biodegradable cell phones left and right to have us shut down.

Personally, I do this stuff from time to time with my TLT. I think its alot of fun, and I actually break less than doing the slow.

Also, this is exactly how the Trails class is going to run I think. Yeah you can hook up ramps and winches and blah blah, but from what I have heard, the tires suck and the only way to get anywhere is to launch the trucks.
Plays_with_Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 07:35 AM   #31
Rock Stacker

Default Great idea.

I can see the tree huggers now with the 1:1 comp. They sure do rip up the trail.
This would be a lot of fun with an RC. I guess it is time to build a hi/low transmission switchable via a servo.
ECAMERON87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 07:57 AM   #32
RSI
Rock Crawler

i remeber when i had a stock madforce and rock crawled with it it was real fun you can go slow but when you get to an obstalce you can just run on the clutch like youd have to to go slow s youd gun it and watch the truck spin the tires and hop around and surf all over it was really fun to watch and then afterward i could still do 45 and ride a wheelie for 50 feet lol

ryan
RSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 10:26 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

I'm not a fan, though I bet SEMA likes it. Rock Racing makes for lots of broken parts. The other thing that is horribly wrong with it is it gives the idea that doing that on the trail is OK. When it is definitely not. If younger guys getting into the sport start doing that on the trail then the trails WILL BE CLOSED. Once a trail is closed the chances for it to be opened again are pretty much 1 in a million. I'm guessing you guys are involved in the fight to keep trails open. Here in the west we are fighting to keep trails open. The Rubicon is in danger of being closed along with numerous other not so famous trails. The liberals out here are just going nuts sueing countys to close trails. The Rubicon is in danger because of people with no respect for the environment and parties at Little Sluice. People go up there wheel into the sluice box and stay for 3-4 days. Leaving there trash and shit literally everywhere. Thats what caused the closure last season. With so many people not packing out what they pack in it leaves a mess that the greenies just love to see. At the last FOTR meeting I went to they talked about education. How can you educate people in an individual setting. There's no way. So the solution they came up with is CLOSURE. it's way cheaper to put up a gate than spending millions trying to teach a bunch of drunks with too much money for gas & beer. Sorry I'm rambling but I want to bring my son out there when he's older and teach him the right way and if people get the wrong impression about wheeling and start doing it without respect that won't happen.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 10:30 AM   #34
2006 2.2 National Champ

Good point rckjeep!!
Old 05-12-2005, 10:42 AM   #35
I wanna be Dave

Thanks Bender I hope somebody learns something
Old 05-12-2005, 11:05 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper

There is nothing wrong with RC Rock Racing though.
bigsuzuki86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 03:01 PM   #37
RCC Addict

I captured a video from Superlift TV today that showed some cool rock racing in Area BFE in Moab.

http://www.rcpics.net/view_single.php?medid=56496

10mb
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 08:40 PM   #38
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamF
The action is fast paced and the atmosphere is all sportsman! Though it is a race against time, the challenge is to finish! There are two types of winners , those on the podium and those who have fun while trying to reach it. At the end of the day seconds mark the difference between glory and fate. It amounts to the difference between the shift of the clutch or the finesse of the throttle. A driver's ability to make a split second decision determines the outcome."

That part of your statement reminded me of what I miss out of racing desert on my fourwheeler. Damn I miss that. Up to 80 mile loops riding as fast and as hard as you can,speeds up to 80 or more miles an hour,not knowing whats in front of you cuz the dust is so thick and because your not allowed to pre run the coarse. DAMN that was alot of fun,I seen a few podium finishes but just finishing was an honor to me.

This "rock racing" in RC would be fun to me. I believe though I would want a nitro rig geared down just a touch and a 2 or maybe even 3 speed tranny. Theres a section of the creekbed on our farm that would be IDEAL for this,when the waters low that is. When the waters up everythings a couple feet under water . Small to large boulders,several water crossings,a few 1 to 2' droop offs a couple sandy areas and a few small hill climbs could be easily made into it.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 08:53 PM   #39
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsuzuki86
There is nothing wrong with RC Rock Racing though.
In your opinion
Old 05-12-2005, 09:04 PM   #40
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorman57
When the waters up everythings a couple feet under water .
lol, same here, but it's a lake and it's 30-40 ft. of water.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote