Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: RC Rock Racing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2005, 01:45 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default RC Rock Racing

This is what I would like to see. Some RC rock racing.

Have you guys seen the 1:1 rock racing? Oh my god, it's great. That is EXACTLY the way I like to do it.

That's sort of my style in RC crawling. I prefer to lay on the gas and see where it takes me. Don't get me wrong, crawling is fun and all, but rock racing really gets me going.

What do you guys think?

Read up on rock racing here

http://xrra.com/english/index.html

And view this video I captured from Superlift TV

http://www.rcpics.net/view_single.php?medid=56496

I think the first paragraph sums it up pretty well

" Rock racing is the way of the future. At a time when many organizers are busy watching cones, the XRRA has gotten back to the roots of off-roading. The average enthusiast can now compete on a more level playing field. Moon buggies and Expensive rigs are thrown in the mix with the garage built four wheel drive! In Rock Racing there are no cones. There are no judgment calls. Just strait forward time trial events. The action is fast paced and the atmosphere is all sportsman! Though it is a race against time, the challenge is to finish! There are two types of winners in Rock Racing, those on the podium and those who have fun while trying to reach it. At the end of the day seconds mark the difference between glory and fate. It amounts to the difference between the shift of the clutch or the finesse of the throttle. A driver's ability to make a split second decision determines the outcome."

Last edited by AdamF; 05-12-2005 at 03:02 PM.
AdamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2005, 01:56 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

It would not be real racing going the speed we go with a gd600. It would be fun to do if our trucks went a little faster
Herzog-racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 02:00 PM   #3
RCC Addict

You would set up a RC rock racing rig differently than a rock crawling rig.

You wouldnt need gear reductions. You would want higher RPM's and high torque motors with low to medium gearing.

I'm going to try and find some video of some 1:1 rock racing and then maybe you would understand. It's not "racing" in a sense to where your going 100 miles an hour, it's just faster than regular rock crawling. No slowing down to pick your lines, avoiding cones and what not, just pedal to the metal haulin ass!

Last edited by AdamF; 05-11-2005 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:15 PM   #4
Colt Python/SR9c

u must like fixin crap all the time :? i will stick to going slow and taking my time
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 02:16 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamF
You would set up a RC rock racing rig differently than a rock crawling rig.

You wouldnt need gear reductions. You would want higher RPM's and high torque motors with low to medium gearing.

I'm going to try and find some video of some 1:1 rock racing and then maybe you would understand. It's not "racing" in a sense to where your going 100 miles an hour, it's just faster than regular rock crawling. No slowing down to pick your lines, avoiding cones and what not, just pedal to the metal haulin ass!
When I first started "crawling" with rc, I only did it "rock racing" style. The biggest reason was because I was using a nitro x factor. I was having people over at my place on my courses and they would bring their electric clods and txt's. I would litterally hit the rocks at 10mph with my xfactor and breeze right through the course, while they have difficulties getting through. Unfortunately, my driving style is still dictated by too much throttle and usually screws up my scores. I'm not sure that the rock racing will be the "way of the future" but at every crawling event, you undoubtedly see as much fast paced rock racing as you see slow moving crawling.
DirkDigler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 02:20 PM   #6
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

i find that a lot of throttle can take the fun out of a section sometimes. sure, some speed can bump you up that rock thats been giving you hell all day, but i like eeaaaasing up a rock so slow you can hear each lug pop on the rock.

i hate fixing my rig
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 02:22 PM   #7
RCC Addict

But a rock racing course is set up much differently than a rock crawling course.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:05 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

sounds like lots of shit would break too.......i'm in
Vitamin_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 03:09 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Here's a short video preview of some rock racing

http://bfefilms.net/clips/rockrace.wmv

They had a pretty good peice of the xrra on Superlift TV the other day. I think its supposed to re-air tomorrow sometime on ODC. You should check it out. maybe I'll record it and put it online.
Old 05-11-2005, 03:12 PM   #10

I agree with the going slower. I like the challenge of finding that perfect line and watching to see if your choices will land you on top, or watch as your rig crashes. However, racing is always fun too. I just don't like the down time while I have to fix something.
jonnycat01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 03:16 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

that was 100x more badass than i though it would be!

maybe the nitro X-Factor would have a place at one of our comps if we did this?
Vitamin_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 03:17 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I think Nitro could compete in a rock racing course.

I'm going to make some sort of course at my parents house. I'm going to incorporate a creek crossing and maybe a mud/dirt/sand pit as well as some uphill climbs. And throw in some large boulders along the way to try and slow you down!
Old 05-11-2005, 03:38 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Adamf I dont think the guys on this site get it. With rock racing you would have a different gearing setup and more of a trail/rock combo so it is nothing like rock crawling and you would most likely brake less stuff cuz you dont have crazy low gearing like crawling and you would not have it crazy fast like racing, Just somewhere in the middle.. :smile:
lukedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 05:31 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

you said no gear reduction. well at one of our get togethers here we set up a cours just like that so it was not really rock crawlng It was steep hills and a few bumps and a little flexing here and there and I was not using reductions and my txt sucked at almost every thing because I could not really make it up the bigger hills. now that I have reductions I could make it up the hill.
Old 05-11-2005, 07:41 PM   #15

i got it now. its more of an obstacle course that has very steep grades and sections. looks like a blast! but lots of breaking. now THAT is where a brushless would excell! anybody want to go against my 1500W motor?
Old 05-11-2005, 08:19 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herzog-racing
you said no gear reduction. well at one of our get togethers here we set up a cours just like that so it was not really rock crawlng It was steep hills and a few bumps and a little flexing here and there and I was not using reductions and my txt sucked at almost every thing because I could not really make it up the bigger hills. now that I have reductions I could make it up the hill.

I don't know what to tell you. I'm not familliar with the gearing in anything but a clod, but I don't see why you could not make it up a steep hill without a reduction. Seems you had the wrong motors or wrong tranny gearing. You probably had a lathe motor. You should try something with more RPM like a mag mayhem.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:28 PM   #17

without reduction a stock txt has hardly any low speed torque. you cant even wedge the tires because they are geared so tall.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:49 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

I knew it wasn't just my truck
Old 05-11-2005, 08:58 PM   #19
RCC Addict

While Rock Racing can be cool to watch and participate in real life, I have a feeling that if it were to catch on in the RC community, it would somehow undermine all the work that has been put into making true competition level crawling a legitimate branch of the RC hobby. I see it as a regression back to the days when crawling was a full throttle, headlong rush at a pile of rocks.

Yet, I am always interested in seeing a new niche of RC develop, and I feel there may be a chance for Rock Racing. Here is what I propose - make RC Rock Racing a "Nitro-Only" event. This will differentiate true Crawlers from the Racers. Instead of taking a Crawl-Ready rig and gearing it up, this will encourage further development of Nitro vehicles and may lead to some ground-breaking engineering. Just look at what Crawling has done for electric. And plus, if you are gonna bomb up a hill at full throttle, wouldn't it just be plain cool to do it with Nitro?
Mad Scientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 09:22 PM   #20
RCC Addict

I think it would be sweet to see a circuit style course (like regular off road tracks) but instead of jumps they could have rocks and maybe some steep dirt piles (mini hill climbs incorporated). IFS trucks may have an advantage on this kind of off roading though. These courses are more of a noobie set up because it would be easier to get through than crawler courses and also it wouldn't require as many mods to your truck to be competitive. A stock txt with a better motor would probably work well w/o having to customize everything. Although, the quicker pace would be fun and the ease of the course wouldn't be as technical making it more relaxed.
RCMFMaxxMan is offline   Reply With Quote