Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: ProtoType KMS FreeSpool Winch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 09:53 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default ProtoType KMS FreeSpool Winch

Quite a long time ago I started poking KMS Winches for a free spooling winch set up. LIke many others I wasn't happy with what was available for one reason or another.
Fast forward - about two weeks ago KMS msg'ed me asking if I could help him out and put a hurtin' on one of his new winches...

So I asked him to send me a layed down version and got to looking how I was going to mount this beast.

KMS taps two holes under the winch drum for mounting and you can see this is not much bigger than a servo. But the small amount bigger for a free spool and as much line as you could ever want....... well worth it!

We already had a winch mount in the stock wraith dig location on DiselFuel's Ultra4 buggy. Amazingly the KMS FreeSpool fits with no trimming of the interior.

This is in a custom chassis - but sliding my hand down behind the seats is quick and easy, and I have always loved a center winch vs a front or rear.

On to the good stuff..........
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: ProtoType KMS FreeSpool Winch

Today was the Devils Crossing Recon G6 here in Vegas. Perfect testing ground to beat the life out of anything. I hope there is video and photos - and apologies for not having any but let me walk you through the hurting we put on this bad boy today.

5hrs straight - 4 full 3c lipos - 150+ gates in the middle of desert just north of Las Vegas at 93*. And in true G6 fashion there was as much no stop winching as driving.

There was at least 3 times today that I found myself in the middle of 6 to 8 guys all in need of help. The freespool NEVER skipped a beat - flawless operation. And I kid you not - all three times we were doing back to back winching of rig after rig for 30min or more.
Roll this rig over, flip myself upright, help another up a cliff, then lower a trail buddy down the next cliff, ect ect

These winch pulls coupled with a few sheer cliff pulls - helping guys or myself out of picking the wrong lines and pulling the full rigs up sheer cliffs. This winch is no joke guys.

There is no lack in power and speed is quite nice. Defiantly the fastest winch out on the trail in Vegas today.
ANd I would like to throw this out there - I paid for this winch, KMS does not sponsor me and I was not offered any kick backs for speaking my mind. I have ran quite a few winches out and even homemade a few of my own - and I have to say I could not be happier.

I will get better photos and some video posted up here in a few days. If there is ANYTHING anyone wants to see or know...... let me know.
Old 05-05-2013, 08:23 PM   #3

LOL doublej I confess i was one of those guys needing help quite a few times (your old neighbor) thanks for all your help and that winch is insane....
Nightmare702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 11:00 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare702 View Post
LOL doublej I confess i was one of those guys needing help quite a few times (your old neighbor) thanks for all your help and that winch is insane....
Mate - I promise I pulled myself out at least twice as many times as everyone else

KMS just posted his first batch for sale. No waiting - all winches are built and tested. Get them while you can cause they won't last long.
KMS FreeSpool
Old 05-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Holy crap that thing is bad I'm gonna order one as soon as I have the $$$$

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
noobiescaler35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

How much voltage are you running to it?
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I am running a heyok on 3c but talking to KMS I am going to try a small 4c to speed it up for comps.
I am even talking to a friend to set the switch on my remote so it allows me to use full speed and half speed depending the need.
Old 05-06-2013, 03:23 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej View Post
I am even talking to a friend to set the switch on my remote so it allows me to use full speed and half speed depending the need.

I like the sound of that, what radio are you running?
Erin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:38 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

4pl - I have no idea how its done but comp wise that would make me smile.

It's got great speed as is - don't get me wrong. But I try to leave the southern boy at home when I dodge cones and be as straight laced as I can be.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

If you need help, call me. I think we touched on the steps/increments/multi speed last we talked.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels000 View Post
If you need help, call me. I think we touched on the steps/increments/multi speed last we talked.
We did but you talk fast and I am programming Dumb!
I am going to try it on 4c tomorrow and get some video. If I like it then I will give you a yell to work out the programming.
I need to sell soem 1:1 parts so I can jump in and buy another one of these....
Old 05-20-2013, 02:20 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Great to hear that it's working well for you - it's a bargain in my opinion. I'm going to look into buying a few.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 09:13 PM   #13
KMS
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark View Post
Great to hear that it's working well for you - it's a bargain in my opinion. I'm going to look into buying a few.
Thank you,,Yes its a little power house tryed to rip the rear axle out of the wifes JK last night ,it hooked up on the rear axle and I didnt see it stared pulling and the next thing I know my nebghor was yelling stop ,I didnt see it but he said the rear axle was puling back below the bumper ,,I have tred to stall the servo but it wont and iam afraid to break something so I stop it ,,,What a servo for sure ,,,,KMS.....
KMS is offline   Reply With Quote

ProtoType KMS FreeSpool Winch - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KMS K2 Free spool servo winch KMS General Scale Talk 37 05-05-2013 09:03 PM
KMS K2xtreme freespool winch KMS Scale Videos! 2 04-22-2013 09:44 PM
KMS servo winch, K2 ,K3,K3x2 KMS Electronics 0 01-14-2013 08:31 AM