Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: How I Narrowed Wraith axles

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default How I Narrowed Wraith axles

Since I had a housing laying around and some time to kill I tried this.

Tools used were simply a dremel with a plastic cutting tool, plastic epoxy and the calipers you see later.

Parts: Stock housing and WB8 male drive shafts (will make sense later)

Stock housing

Cut the knuckle end off (try to cut it without ruining it) and learned from someone the male end of the Axial WB8 drive shafts fit extremely snug in there. I had to sand down the end just to get it started and then press fitted the shaft all the way until it got to the center portion of the housing.

I didn't use any epoxy/JB weld or anything, but the bolts to hold the link mounts will hold the driveshaft from twisting and the fact that its pressed in there it won't get pulled out.

Here is after I trimmed the end to put the knuckle mount back on.

Now to the other side. Same process. But you cut the knuckle mount off, then the space between the link mount, then to the length to get the desired width you want, I cut it all the way since I wanted the narrowest axle possible.

Picture of all the cuts I made. I cut from the outside to the center housing.

Here is it all pressed together. I did put a light layer of epoxy to ensure the knuckle mounts wouldn't move.

Here are some width measurements compared to a stock scx10 housing. The 'right' side of the housing lines up with the scx10 knuckle mount. Whereas the 'left' side is about ~1" narrower than the scx10 housing.

Hope this helps others. I'll update when I get the bearings to do the internals =)
Shinjari is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2013, 02:28 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: How I Narrowed Wraith axles

I see what you're doing with those drive shafts... I'm going to be watching this one.
90Finder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
RCC Addict

This has totally reinspired me to do this! Thanks so much, and I will be watching this.
mitchr97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:56 AM   #4
RCC Addict

i really, really wanna know whats gonna happen on the inside, so im subscribing!!
klampykixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:57 AM   #5
RCC Addict

any clues to centering the housing rather than just narrowing it?
Old 05-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Centering would require 2 housings. In order to make it centered you can't use the lower link mount on the housing you have to basically cut 2 long ends to the same desired width then slap then onto a center housing that has been cut down to the center.

I have a set like this that another member made for me. Hope it explains better

As you can see they are slightly wider than stock but if you wanted it narrower you could cut out the area between the link mounts and the splined end. Or you might be able to mount the lower link mounts closer to center but then the mounts wouldn't be centered on a scx10 chassis and you would have to mount shocks on the outside of the mounts.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:49 AM   #7
RCC Addict

what axles fit in there for that width?? coz thats exactly what i want.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:58 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Here is a pic of the front (more info in my build thread NewBright JK Build GCM chassis Xr steering!)

I got them made as a direct replacement for scx10 axles so they fit perfectly under scx10 chassis, and on the gcm chassis you have to mount shocks on the outside of the link mounts.

The front used cvds for some other rig he had, he trimmed them to the proper width. the rear used 2 long wraith axles that were trimmed to fit. I think xr10 rear straight axles may have fit but havent gotten a chance to check.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:00 AM   #9
RCC Addict

ill check out the thread. the driveshafts themselves are all thats stopping me from goin for gold on the housings. i want a centered rear for my XJ build.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Yeah I'd say if you did the 2 housings, got 2 long wraith drive shafts or maybe if you used xr10 axles or even xr10 lockouts since they are narrower than the wraith ones you could reuse the scx10 ones. Just a matter of overall length. I know the wraith short end is a hair shorter than the scx10 ones. I know instead of that custom truss I could have used the VP 4 link truss for their aluminum scx10 housing (not the curries, the previous axial looking style), it bolts right up to the lockout hardware.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:23 AM   #11
RCC Addict

i wanna keep the stock AR60 width tho, so id say ill likely be looking for the XR10 axles. i guess theres only one way to find out and thats to give in, and buy some new AR60 housings to chop up... im semi keen, but if i stuff it first go, ill be getting very close to the value of just buying a centered housing from RC4wd, and that comes with axles....
Old 05-12-2013, 10:32 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Yeah maybe try the wanted thread and look for used housings. It's not hard, just make sure to draw it out and measure plenty.
Old 05-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by klampykixx View Post
i wanna keep the stock AR60 width tho, so id say ill likely be looking for the XR10 axles. i guess theres only one way to find out and thats to give in, and buy some new AR60 housings to chop up... im semi keen, but if i stuff it first go, ill be getting very close to the value of just buying a centered housing from RC4wd, and that comes with axles....
You could cut down 2 wraith long side axle shafts and file new flats. Xr10 shafts won't get you anywhere near stock wraith width.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #14
RCC Addict

i havent looked yet, but are the ar60 axle shafts round enough just to file new flats in? they looked like they had a larger diameter boss on the inner end???
Old 05-12-2013, 07:40 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Nice little write up As far as the flat on the end if the shaft for the locker...I cut the shaft in two, took out however much was necessary to get the correct length, beveled the ends of the shafts where it gets fused back together, then weld away. Making damn sure that you the shaft runs true before finish welding. I have never broken one of them. Even with an 11lb rig and a 7turn puller on 3s.
ScaleReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #16
RCC Addict

thats what i thought might have had to happen SR. getting it to run True is gonna be the battle haha!! but it might be what ill end up doing.

anyone got a spare long axle they dont need???

or even, would there be enough material taken out of the long side, to put back into the short side and even them out??
Old 05-12-2013, 09:09 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

I just shortened my housing enough to run one xr axle and one short side wraith axle. It ended up being just a little wider than a stock scx axle. Loads of steering and keeps the track width similar to my rear axle. I like it so far and I was able to use spare axle shafts that I already had.
Grimreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:56 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by klampykixx View Post
thats what i thought might have had to happen SR. getting it to run True is gonna be the battle haha!! but it might be what ill end up doing.

anyone got a spare long axle they dont need???

or even, would there be enough material taken out of the long side, to put back into the short side and even them out??
You won't take out enough to add to the short side and make em even. I have used 3/16 cold rolled round stock for extending them, and it has held up to a beating. Getting them to run true after cutting and welding is a bitch. As long as you're patient, it'll be fine. Fighting the shrinking and pulling while you tack weld it together is the hard part. Weld one side, make sure you can get it to spin true, then weld 180° from that. It'll lock it in. Then do 90° and then 180° from that. Depending on your settings on the welder, that should cover the entire splice. Then I use a flapper disc to get it even all the way around. Chock it up in the drill and check for out of balance.
ScaleReady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 11:03 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Any pics grim?
Old 05-13-2013, 06:06 AM   #20
RCC Addict

reason i want a centered AR60 is coz i wanna run leafs in the rear end of a wraith cage rather than links. but all while still running a full width front axle, so need the full width in the rear.

edit:

just had a win. i just remembered that i fitted CVD into the front axle. so i have a spare long shaft from the front that i can cut the flat section off and join to the short rear one and make a longer one!!!

now i just need another housing, so i ordered this>

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/370808527...84.m1438.l2649

great value IMO.

Last edited by klampykixx; 05-13-2013 at 07:09 AM.

How I Narrowed Wraith axles - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Narrowed Wraith axles... the easy way Chris_The_Battery_Man General Crawlers 19 03-10-2013 03:45 AM
wraith narrowed axles???????? warriorsimi Axial Wraith 5 02-25-2013 01:41 PM
narrowed wraith? heinie_21 Axial Wraith 15 10-19-2011 10:21 PM
Narrowed WK Axles MetalMan HPI Wheely King 17 02-07-2008 01:08 AM
narrowed axles slobin3d HPI Wheely King 3 05-15-2007 09:06 AM