Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: styrene for headache rack

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default styrene for headache rack

i am going to be doing my first work with styrene and plan on doing a headache rack for my truck. my question is how strong is styrene? would it be strong enough to withstand a rollover? i plan on posting pics during the process of making it.

Kenneth
jeepscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: styrene for headache rack

i would think it would be fine. you could maybe countersink some screws in it as well to help in the structural aspect of it then cover them up with fill and paint.
I do not know though as i have never worked with it myself. What were you thinking of using 1/4"- 5/16" roundstock"
Twist n Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Short answer, styrene alone probably won't be strong enough. Long answer, using styrene tube with brass or something inside, you might get lucky. I guess it depends on how high above the cab it sits and how much you like to roll your truck.
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 04:11 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Think in the 1:1 world...would a full scale headache rack protect a truck's cab during a rollover? No it wouldn't. A headache rack is designed to carry ladders, pipe, lumber and other long items that won't fit in the bed. It's not designed for rollover protection.

Now with that said, I don't think that styrene is strong enough to withstand the lateral loads during a rollover. It would snap off. Styrene would be easy to work with IMO, but not to strong.

If you want strong, go with solid bar and weld it up, powder coat it and will last during a rollover.

Good luck and post up some pics....
79BlackPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 06:24 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Just so everyone knows this is what i was planning on building.
[IMG][/IMG]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twist n Broke View Post
i would think it would be fine. you could maybe countersink some screws in it as well to help in the structural aspect of it then cover them up with fill and paint.
I do not know though as i have never worked with it myself. What were you thinking of using 1/4"- 5/16" roundstock"
Was planning on using 1/4" squarestock for the main structural part. then 1/8" and 3/16" squarestock for the other parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79BlackPearl View Post
Think in the 1:1 world...would a full scale headache rack protect a truck's cab during a rollover? No it wouldn't. A headache rack is designed to carry ladders, pipe, lumber and other long items that won't fit in the bed. It's not designed for rollover protection.

Now with that said, I don't think that styrene is strong enough to withstand the lateral loads during a rollover. It would snap off. Styrene would be easy to work with IMO, but not to strong.

If you want strong, go with solid bar and weld it up, powder coat it and will last during a rollover.

Good luck and post up some pics....
i would weld one up but i dont know how nor do i have any welding stuff. But if i do decide to continue with the styrene headache rack i will post up pics.
jeepscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 06:58 PM   #6

Maybe try some thin aluminum C channel? Just notch and bend for the frame, then fill it in with styrene. Simple, fairly strong so it doesn't get ripped off first roll over and no welding involved.
4x4Coastie is offline   Reply With Quote

styrene for headache rack - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gear Head Trail Rack Short roof rack for standard cabs RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 02-25-2012 02:32 PM
headache for 17 days now ped453 Chit Chat 40 01-20-2010 09:29 PM
TQ3 and BTA steering = headache nosduj Electronics 5 10-18-2007 08:33 AM