Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Installing a "ToyZuki's fabrication Motor Mount"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2014, 01:02 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Installing a "ToyZuki's fabrication Motor Mount"

This kit is designed to be used with a 3link/panhard set up and will not work with a 4 link or Y link in the front!
I got my hands on a box stock axial JK for the build!

First thing I did was get the battery tray and the electronics box out of the way!

Next I removed the transmission to be altered

Gear cover removed

Slipper nut removed and all hardware layed out so you remember where all the parts go!

Pulled the 3 bolts that hold the motor plate on and removed it, the back half of the gear cover, and that important little spacer that your going to reuse later.

Removing the last bolt opens the transmission to expose the gears

Next remove the input shaft and replace it. I used a stock axle pinion shaft and I've used stock transmission input shafts but I recommend a shaft from supershafty for those of you that don't have a usable shaft laying around
"Split-Skid" MINI Topshaft - Super Shafty

Here you can see how I modified the end of the shaft I am using as its not long enough unless you file off the little nub on the end

Now pop the little dust cap out of the front half and snap it into the rear half of the transmission. Your new shaft will be coming out of the front of the transmission to adapt onto the new set up. Then drop the new shaft in and put the case back together!

Install the original bolts with the supplied 3mm nuts on the back side

Reinstall the transmission on the truck and hook the drivelines back to the trans. Look at all the room under the trans to mount your battery or electronics at the lowest point on the chassis!
ToyZuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2014, 01:02 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Installing a "ToyZuki's fabrication Motor Mount"

Now reassemble your stock input shaft and slipper assembly as you will be installing this in the new motor mount. Don't loose that spacer!!!!

Now remove everything on the chassis in front of the skid plate. I removed the stock servo plate also because my 3link/panhard conversion is next on the list.

Here's what comes in the kit. 1 motor mount, 2 mounting screws, 3 screws to bolt the motor plate to the motor mount, and 2 Fasteddy 5x11x4mm bearings to support the slipper shaft (same size bearing used through out the truck)

First insert the 2 bearings supplied and then bolt the motor plate to the mount with the 3 bolts. Bolts holes are only countersunk on one side for a reason, and the stock plate only fits the bolt pattern in one direction. It should look like this!

Slide your stock slipper/input shaft through the mount

Put the assembly between the frame rails lining the mounting holes up with the rear bolt hole of the shock hoop. Its a very tight fit because we don't want the motor mount flopping around. It fits snug between the frame rails.

Install the shock hoops with the supplied mounting bolts. These also hold the mount in place.

The front of your shock hoops should already have mounting hardware from your cms 3link/panhard set up.

Next step is to install a driveline between the stock input shaft and the new input shaft like this. Here's where that important little spacer comes into effect. The driveline holds the shaft in place (from sliding front to back) so depending on what driveline you choose to use it may or may not slide deep enough to take the end play out of the slipper shaft. Use the space to take up the difference before installing the shaft. Then remove the drive shaft and file a flat spot for the set screw. Installing it should have left a mark on the shaft to use as a guide so you know where to make the flat spot.

I have this set up working with my own cms kit and a hand bros kit. It looks like it will work with rc4wd's kit and VP's kit as well but I don't have one on hand to test it with. It will not work with the blue monkey kit as they use the same mounting holes as I do. I'm planning on trying to mount it behind the blue monkey kit by drilling new holes in the chassis, but it won't be a bolt on option. It will not work with the level3 cms kit because they mount the servo in a funny location that is in the way of the slipper shaft!
I have used a stock splined driveshaft, a stock wild bore driveshaft, a JunFac shaft, an MIP dig length shaft, and an rc4wd punisher shaft. They all clear the motor but may require shortening!
Old 03-10-2014, 01:03 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Can be purchased in the vendor section!
ToyZuki's Fabrication Low Center of Gravity Motor Mount

Also here's a video of Harley Designs install. A few more tools required this way, but I like the idea of using through pins in the drive shafts.
https://youtu.be/y2VIccNdFOo

Last edited by ToyZuki; 08-03-2015 at 06:52 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:16 AM   #4
RCC Addict

It looks great and simple! I like how you used stock Axial parts that any hobbyist would have laying around.

The only concern I have is with the motor placement. It seems wayyy too low for there to be any suspension travel.
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:46 AM   #5
RCC Addict

It doesn't limit the travel anymore than a panhard bar on a 3 link set up. Keep in mind there's no upper link on that side and the motor is stuffed against the frame rail. It doesn't stop until the axle pinion contacts the side of the motor plate.
Here's an overhead shot of my class 2. Don't mind the mill marks, this one is an unfinished piece in the testing stages! Also this shows the clearance between the spur gear and a hand bros servo mount.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:54 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Have you tried to lay the Axial Tranny on its side now? Make for even lower COG...
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:05 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I sure did! I didn't take any good pics showing the position of the transmission before returning it to it's owner! Help me out hotwheels000
Old 03-10-2014, 02:30 PM   #8

Awesome write up Ben. Are you also going to do a write up on the 3 link set up, and what axle mount works with this set up?
ROCKCRAWLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:40 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I've got to get the ball rolling on my cms kit before I do a write up, but I've installed it with a few hand bros kits so far!. Also installed it with another rcc vendors kit
JC Auto Design - SCX10/AX10 Axle Truss, Panhard and CMS options
Just eyeballing the location of the servo and upper link mounts I'm guessing the rc4wd kit and the VP kit will work too but I don't have them in front of me yet to try. I am going to try to mount it behind a blue monkey kit this week, but drilling new holes in the chassis will be requires as blue monkey uses the same stock holes that I use. I really like their kit with the Kms winch mount so I determined to make it fit!
Old 03-10-2014, 02:46 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyZuki View Post
I've got to get the ball rolling on my cms kit before I do a write up, but I've installed it with a few hand bros kits so far!. Also installed it with another rcc vendors kit
JC Auto Design - SCX10/AX10 Axle Truss, Panhard and CMS options
Just eyeballing the location of the servo and upper link mounts I'm guessing the rc4wd kit and the VP kit will work too but I don't have them in front of me yet to try. I am going to try to mount it behind a blue monkey kit this week, but drilling new holes in the chassis will be requires as blue monkey uses the same stock holes that I use. I really like their kit with the Kms winch mount so I determined to make it fit!
Ben I have a RC4WD CMS kit on the way if you want to do a fitment test
alpine4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:49 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

very cool system
Badd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:58 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine4x4 View Post
Ben I have a RC4WD CMS kit on the way if you want to do a fitment test
Right on! Let me know when you get it and I'll make time to get it fit and back to you that day! Bring your spare rig over too and I'll see what I've got to get it patched up right!
Old 03-10-2014, 03:07 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Right on! Let me know when you get it and I'll make time to get it fit and back to you that day! Bring your spare rig over too and I'll see what I've got to get it patched up right!
Will do. I get it Thursday, but I'm busy that night so Friday evening or any day this coming weekend I can manage. We still have to get you out on our new course as well
Old 03-10-2014, 04:26 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I crawled it last fall and had a blast! Sounds like you guys have been putting in some work to make it bigger! I'll check it out if I ever get caught up lol. With this project and getting everyone ready for nationals my free time has been kinda short!! Looking forward to Friday!!
Old 03-10-2014, 05:02 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I crawled it last fall and had a blast! Sounds like you guys have been putting in some work to make it bigger! I'll check it out if I ever get caught up lol. With this project and getting everyone ready for nationals my free time has been kinda short!! Looking forward to Friday!!
That spot you crawled is just the entrance to the trail now

I'll shoot ya a txt when I get it in
Old 03-10-2014, 08:51 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej View Post
Have you tried to lay the Axial Tranny on its side now? Make for even lower COG...

Quote:
I sure did! I didn't take any good pics showing the position of the transmission before returning it to it's owner! Help me out hotwheels000
iwas going to mention the fact that would also work and the mount can be used in custom builds also

I will see if I can snap a pic in a few
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:08 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Thanx Devlin. I was going to make up a quick bracket and flop one of mine over tonight but I've Been playing with the blue monkey kit and it looks like its gonna work. I'll have to drill 2 holes in the chassis for sure. The non slipper set up isn't going to work unless I modify monkeys servo plate a little. Before I do that I'm going to put the slipper set up in and see if it clears. So far the only problem I'm running into is monkeys upper link mount since its designed to put the upper link on the drivers side, but if it takes creating an extra little bracket for that, it just means I get to create a new part
Old 03-10-2014, 09:44 PM   #18
KMS
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Thanx Devlin. I was going to make up a quick bracket and flop one of mine over tonight but I've Been playing with the blue monkey kit and it looks like its gonna work. I'll have to drill 2 holes in the chassis for sure. The non slipper set up isn't going to work unless I modify monkeys servo plate a little. Before I do that I'm going to put the slipper set up in and see if it clears. So far the only problem I'm running into is monkeys upper link mount since its designed to put the upper link on the drivers side, but if it takes creating an extra little bracket for that, it just means I get to create a new part
Remenber flip the Monkey over .. It should fit then ,that sounds naughty,,,BACK to the big chair,for me ....
KMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:48 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Here are a few shots

you can see thr side mounted tranny, an overhead shot, pic of my ride hieght and an innterior shot showing I didnt need to cut the interior up or raise tje body sky high to prevent cutting the interior.

This is also a custom chassis built by toyzuki long before the motor plate was designed and the mount was easily modded to fit
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:54 PM   #20
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMS View Post
Remenber flip the Monkey over .. It should fit then ,that sounds naughty,,,BACK to the big chair,for me ....
30 minutes later..

a hack saw, file, and a drill.

I cut up a piece of aluminum channel for an ugly quick 3 upper link mount!!

Installing a "ToyZuki's fabrication Motor Mount" - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Krawler Koncepts Tips and Tricks for Installing "Inside" Skins Krawler Konceptz Vendors Paint and Body 9 03-17-2012 02:49 PM
Project "Purple Skunk" a Metal Fume Fabrication production. akguanja Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 52 08-01-2009 09:10 PM
Visionary Fabrication Chassis "Vendetta" Usmc8541 HPI Wheely King 8 02-27-2008 11:37 PM
Visionary Fabrication (Billet Works) 2.2 Aluminum "Assassin" Bead Lock Wheels Review STANG KILLA SS Tires and Wheels 33 12-29-2007 08:42 AM