2.2 6x6 1 16.67%
Other 3 50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Advice Wanted, Capable Tow Rig

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2015, 07:23 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Advice Wanted, Capable Tow Rig

This is NOT a what truck should I buy thread, but I need input so that I can choose the best PERFORMING vehicle. I just don't have the experience to decide what would meet the criteria the best. I'm posting this here, because I don't trust the facebook groups for factually based opinons. I'm slowly putting a trailer together for my 10 lbs. Yeti. Really all of my trucks will ride, but the yeti should be the heaviest by far. I do hope to be able to place my trail pack (5 to +15 lbs.) in the bed of whatever truck I end up with. Why build something like this and not make my life easier? Now I know I am looking for something different, I have it narrowed down to a couple of options and I need advice from the more experienced members than myself. (pretty much everyone here) With the weight of the trailer (and my desire for go fast) I am going to be running Sensored BL, most likely HH BLE PRO and Puller XL.

Here is what I am looking for.

-Power, I know that comes down to whatever system I choose, but I need the trans, drive line, ect. to not explode

-Durability, it's going to see a lot of stresses, on top of me liking to actually drive all my trucks

-Crawl, I don't want to have to park it when I get to actual terrain, but by no means needs to be a comp crawler

-2.2's, are a must, I just like that size of tire. (Except in 1(or 2 ) of my choices)

Now here are my choices (in no particular order)

-Wroncho, but bigger. I expect this option to be mostly hand made, chassis, bumpers, links, body, exo cage? This is the most recent addition to the working list in my head. I think the 4x4 factor with help a lot for keeping the rig capable and fun to drive, but will I sacrifice towing capability? Here is my inspiration for this one.

-The Beast II, watching builds around these forums have me really wanting this truck, the issue? It will NOT look scale pulling my trailer 20"x11.5" especially with all of the 2.2 rigs. Also I think this will be the least capable of any of my options when it come to pretty much everything, mostly due to the size.

-One-off 6x6, I might like this option more than the beast, but I know it will take more time. Something with 2.2s, wraith sized axles, but I would aim to make it much bigger than the Beast.

-Or maybe all of my choices suck and you have a much better idea? Let me know what you got!

Thanks for reading and I can't wait to hear ideas!
kstowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2015, 07:50 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Advice Wanted, Capable Tow Rig

Wraith based would be the way to go, but unless someone has figured out how to make the mid axle a pass through, you are left with a dual output transfer case and some interesting driveshaft alignment. (for a 6x6)
SCX axles are the easiest to modify and with axle wideners or wide hubs you may be able to get close to the width you are looking for. I am not sure if there are manufactured axles for 6x6 any wider than SCX width, the Beast II looks like a little over 7" at the hex

If you could effectively make the dual rear driveshaft thing work, Wraith axles and trans with upgrades would be plenty strong enough.
jmz6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:10 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Check out Irishchamp's build in the Large Scale section, he built a 1/5 scale 6x6 Flatbed that's big enough to tote around his 2yr old
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:53 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Location: in a tree home atop a redwood tree on the corner of yonder and timbuktoo

i would go with a wronch based platform with a custom frame depending on how long you want it and i would suggest one of holmes hobbies out runners or pullers for the motor (ive been eyeing up the outrunners for a large scale scratch build im going to start eventually)
As far as a transmision perhaps a traxxas summit transmission would be a good option- good durability -lots of aftermarket part support, and the ability to have two speeds, you could use high gear for the high speed running that you may want to do and then low gear for technical crawling and heavy towing. I dont think the towing capacity is going to be a big deal as long as you gear it right.
Also If you are going to do a 6x6 i have an idea -you could run a wraith axle in the front and two widened scx10 axles in the rear that are the same width as the front wraith axle. Then you would have a nice wide stance. Im not exactly sure on what the best way to widen them would be but the scx10 axles would be the easiest to make work in a multi axle rig

Just my 2 cents
lil' bear 4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:22 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I choose other. Wraith axle front, yeti centered axle rear. 4x4 so it maintains maneuverability. Custom chassis, most common semi/ HD trucks have straight frame rails, so that should be pretty easy. Suspension travel is not a major concern, for a rig to preform you only really need a little bit, 70 mm shocks are plenty.
Biggest concerns are total weight, cg, and finding a big enough body.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 10:37 PM   #6
bsn
Quarry Creeper

Wraith front axle with SCX rear axles (so you can do a through drive shaft) with the wider splinded brass beef tubes on the back and wraith straight drive shafts. Should be able to get pretty close to the same width. May have to adjust the back spacing on the wheels but if you go with an SLW wheel, you can go wider in the back and narrow in the front.
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 03:53 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmz6 View Post
Wraith based would be the way to go, but unless someone has figured out how to make the mid axle a pass through, you are left with a dual output transfer case and some interesting driveshaft alignment. (for a 6x6)
SCX axles are the easiest to modify and with axle wideners or wide hubs you may be able to get close to the width you are looking for. I am not sure if there are manufactured axles for 6x6 any wider than SCX width, the Beast II looks like a little over 7" at the hex

If you could effectively make the dual rear driveshaft thing work, Wraith axles and trans with upgrades would be plenty strong enough.
I like the idea of using AR-60s a lot. I haven't taken the time myself to see if I can come up with a pass-through, I doubt I'll be able to use it like that. I did look into the GCM A-13 axles. I know they're steep $, but I would like to keep weight down low like that. I'm still waiting on them to email me back about the pass-through design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Flea View Post
Check out Irishchamp's build in the Large Scale section, he built a 1/5 scale 6x6 Flatbed that's big enough to tote around his 2yr old
Thanks for the info! That build is beastly, but now I know what it would take to tow like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' bear 4wd View Post
i would go with a wronch based platform with a custom frame depending on how long you want it and i would suggest one of holmes hobbies out runners or pullers for the motor (ive been eyeing up the outrunners for a large scale scratch build im going to start eventually)
As far as a transmision perhaps a traxxas summit transmission would be a good option- good durability -lots of aftermarket part support, and the ability to have two speeds, you could use high gear for the high speed running that you may want to do and then low gear for technical crawling and heavy towing. I dont think the towing capacity is going to be a big deal as long as you gear it right.
Also If you are going to do a 6x6 i have an idea -you could run a wraith axle in the front and two widened scx10 axles in the rear that are the same width as the front wraith axle. Then you would have a nice wide stance. Im not exactly sure on what the best way to widen them would be but the scx10 axles would be the easiest to make work in a multi axle rig

Just my 2 cents
I'm with you on the 4x4, I have just wanted a 6x6 for so long. It wasn't until recently that I thought about the limited capability. Summit trans fits the bill pretty well. I'll have to look into widening scx axles. Even though I dont think they're all that scale, they'd be tucked under the truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
I choose other. Wraith axle front, yeti centered axle rear. 4x4 so it maintains maneuverability. Custom chassis, most common semi/ HD trucks have straight frame rails, so that should be pretty easy. Suspension travel is not a major concern, for a rig to preform you only really need a little bit, 70 mm shocks are plenty.
Biggest concerns are total weight, cg, and finding a big enough body.
Do you mean the centered Currie from VP? If so I'd like to know why. I have one on my Yeti, but I don't know if I would need that much beef. I had to buy the one for the Yeti b/c the stock shafts and I don't foresee that happening here. I agree on suspension, and I will most likely do a styrene build on the body. Weight and cg I can tune, so I'm not too worried for those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsn View Post
Wraith front axle with SCX rear axles (so you can do a through drive shaft) with the wider splinded brass beef tubes on the back and wraith straight drive shafts. Should be able to get pretty close to the same width. May have to adjust the back spacing on the wheels but if you go with an SLW wheel, you can go wider in the back and narrow in the front.
Do you mean the RC Bros tubes?

Thanks for all of the input, definitely got some ideas flowing!
Old 05-19-2015, 05:04 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I've built a few big trucks. Most have used brushless sensored outrunners, wraith/scx running gear and custom everything else. Correct chassis and suspension geometry is key if you want it to be able to crawl.

It's a long thread. 31lbs and is holding together, according to the new owner.
Szczerba's Tow Rig

15lbs and crawled like a champ.
Szczerba's 2.2 CXT

This one works really good.
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/2-2-s...ttc-truck.html

Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 11:08 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Location: in a tree home atop a redwood tree on the corner of yonder and timbuktoo

Found a complete summit trans on ebay and at a pretty good price

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRANSMISSION...item3aa7bec099

Heat Sink Motor Mount Plate Gear Cover Engine Titan 775 Traxxas Summit | eBay
Old 05-20-2015, 05:03 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
I've built a few big trucks. Most have used brushless sensored outrunners, wraith/scx running gear and custom everything else. Correct chassis and suspension geometry is key if you want it to be able to crawl.

Szczerba's 2.2 CXT

That's what I am talking about!
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:09 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

It's a long thread. 31lbs and is holding together, according to the new owner.
Szczerba's Tow Rig

Szczerba's 2.2 CXT

This one works really good.
http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/2-2-s...ttc-truck.html

Thank you for the incredible inspiration! I'm still working my way through them, I like to watch the process you use. The CXT might be the aim for this build. What advice would you give someone like me, as a first time builder of a truck like this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil' bear 4wd View Post
Thanks for the links, check Traxxas 1/10 Summit RC Replacement Parts at Dollar Hobbyz next time, I found both for cheaper, and I know what kind of CS to expect.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:32 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstowe View Post
Thank you for the incredible inspiration! I'm still working my way through them, I like to watch the process you use. The CXT might be the aim for this build. What advice would you give someone like me, as a first time builder of a truck like this?
Subframe suspension setup and rear sway bar setups.

I am throwing around the idea of building another big rig with the spare CXT cab I have on the shelf. I will rip 1" sq tube as frame rails and build the subframe like the other CXT.
Old 05-21-2015, 09:32 AM   #13
bsn
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Do you mean the RC Bros tubes?
those of the long beef tubes. Both give a wider axle width. the RCBro ones are splined.
bsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:02 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Subframe suspension setup and rear sway bar setups.

I am throwing around the idea of building another big rig with the spare CXT cab I have on the shelf. I will rip 1" sq tube as frame rails and build the subframe like the other CXT.
Thanks for all your help so far, I just used 1/2' split diagonally(PITA) for a wraith bumper I'm putting together. It shouldn't be much harder to do the 1". I'll be referring back to your threads regularly. Last question would be do you think I could braze it together or should I just bite the bullet and get a (tig?)welder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsn View Post
those of the long beef tubes. Both give a wider axle width. the RCBro ones are splined.
Thanks! I've found both, I might like the splined brass rcbro's ones for this application. Still have to decide between 4 or 6 wheels....

...when i get back from this trip.
Old 05-21-2015, 01:45 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the links, check Traxxas 1/10 Summit RC Replacement Parts at Dollar Hobbyz next time, I found both for cheaper, and I know what kind of CS to expect.[/QUOTE]

That dollarhobbyz site is pretty cool! I didnt even know it existed!
Old 05-21-2015, 06:43 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Last question would be do you think I could braze it together or should I just bite the bullet and get a (tig?)welder?

p.

I am not sure on the brazing as I taught myself on a flux wire welder and stepped up to a MIG setup 2 years ago. As far as welding, bypass the flux wire and go with a MIG or TIG. Some guys swear by brazing though, so you may do some searching on both.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:35 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I've built some big powerful trucks also. SCX10 6x6 M818 5 Ton, and a CC01 Chevy dually: Both have dual motors and weigh almost 15lbs. They can pull until they lose traction. I have a stock scx10 transmission in the 6x6 and stripped the gears after I pinned it under a rock in a comp. So I have new steel gears for it whnever I get around to putting them in.

Both hold up fine. The SCX10 6x6 is built to 1/10 scale(not just 1/10 sized motor, but actual 1/10) does pretty damn good off road too and it's on 2.2's. Using a wider wraith axle and an 11.5" wide trailer these tires would look small.

Surprisingly, I've even had the CC01 dually yanking a 25lb stack from a stake table for metal forming around the floor and it had no problem draggin it!

M818 5 Ton 6X6

Chevy Crew Cab Dually
makaveliks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:13 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I am not sure on the brazing as I taught myself on a flux wire welder and stepped up to a MIG setup 2 years ago. As far as welding, bypass the flux wire and go with a MIG or TIG. Some guys swear by brazing though, so you may do some searching on both.
Thanks! I finally got the time to wander through all of those build, WOW all phenomenal work! I think I might start Brazing together and see how it goes from there. Hopefully I won't have to redo my work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveliks View Post
I've built some big powerful trucks also. SCX10 6x6 M818 5 Ton, and a CC01 Chevy dually: Both have dual motors and weigh almost 15lbs. They can pull until they lose traction. I have a stock scx10 transmission in the 6x6 and stripped the gears after I pinned it under a rock in a comp. So I have new steel gears for it whnever I get around to putting them in.

Both hold up fine. The SCX10 6x6 is built to 1/10 scale(not just 1/10 sized motor, but actual 1/10) does pretty damn good off road too and it's on 2.2's. Using a wider wraith axle and an 11.5" wide trailer these tires would look small.

Surprisingly, I've even had the CC01 dually yanking a 25lb stack from a stake table for metal forming around the floor and it had no problem draggin it!
Killer builds man, both are amazing looking trucks! Thank you for sharing. I'll be getting started soon, just need to start a build list...

Advice Wanted, Capable Tow Rig - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tonka tow rig 4wd conversion recovery rig and trailer NissanNut 2.2 Scale Rigs 4 02-13-2015 02:36 PM
Is my rig capable to compete in a g6 simpscx10 Axial SCX-10 10 07-30-2014 11:25 AM
Advice on a tow rig plus plow rcpitlane General Scale Talk 1 12-10-2012 05:54 PM
f350 tow truck/ tow rig bbnate804 1.9 Scale Rigs 13 11-19-2012 07:15 PM
This is the most un capable rig I ever saw. broncoholic Maryland 9 12-09-2008 08:17 AM