Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Maverick Scout Crawler poping driveshaft

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2015, 07:27 AM   #1

Default Maverick Scout Crawler poping driveshaft

Hello everyone,

I am from Portugal and just bought a RC Crawler for my nephew. its a Mavevick Scout RC Crawler
I am a newbie when it comes to RC, but not to full scale 4x4, also have some decent knowledge of mechanics.

The rear drive shaft is always popping of. I placed a zip-tie and it held on for a while, but now it pops of at the motor output shaft.
After disassembling it, I noticed that the connection between output shaft and the drive shaft its just a screw that sits in a flat surface of the drive shaft like so:

My idea is to drill a hole on drive shaft and get a longer screw so there is more grabbing force to the drive shaft.
  • What do you guys think of it?
  • Where can I get a longer screw? - I know a very good machinist that makes me all the stuff for my full size rig, but I think If i ask him to do this, we will just tell me to **** off
  • Is it worth to get new driveshafts? - What prices are the decent range
  • I've been told the parts for this crawler are interchangeable with the Axial AX10, is that true ?

Regards,
Alfredo Palhares
masterkorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2015, 10:43 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Maverick Scout Crawler poping driveshaft

Traxxas makes set screws with a long smooth shank that will go all the way through if you decide to drill a hole. Have your tried a good locktite on the setscrew? It may be loosening as the truck runs. Metal on metal fasteners should always have some sort of thread lock on them as they don't hold tight with repeated stress. I would try some thread lock on it (blue kind) before drilling anything. But yes if you decide to drill a hole you can find the Traxxas ones for cheap. Try Traxxas part number 5189. [url=http://www.amazon.com/Traxxas-Screw-4x13mm-Thread-4-Piece/dp/B0015U1UQ2]Amazon.com: Traxxas 5189 Screw Pins 4x13mm with Thread lock, 4-Piece: Toys & Games[/url

For the driveshaft itself popping apart at the universal joint there are lots of others that can be made to work. You might look at Traxxas Revo driveshafts, they are quite heavy duty, or the Axial driveshafts too. The plastic ones no matter what brand can often be cut to length to fit other applications. Obviously the plastic units are cheaper but I'm sure a metal shaft would be the ultimate in durability. It really depends on what kind of motor/power setup you are using. I still have the stock motor in my SCX-10 so the plastic shafts work just fine for me.

Welcome to the forum!

Last edited by dont slow down; 06-05-2015 at 10:48 AM.
dont slow down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 07:45 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Can't say for sure they are interchangeable with AX10/SCX10 but those outputs look similar. The current SCX10 outputs would do the trick for you. You may best off just picking up a complete SCX10 transmission. That way you know that it's all good.
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 11:56 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

It looks like a scx10 transmission and you could probably just buy the steel outputs for it for 14 bucks
Rodamis is offline   Reply With Quote

Maverick Scout Crawler poping driveshaft - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maverick Scout 1/10 polkut Electronics 1 02-06-2015 06:08 AM
What is the best HD locker for a Maverick scout PSH72 General Crawlers 11 11-02-2014 12:20 PM
maverick scout oddy4691 Electronics 1 07-09-2013 11:30 AM
Maverick Scout question SecretTamiyaLover Newbie General 2 09-20-2011 04:10 AM
Maverick Scout - anyone got one? jayuk022002 General Crawlers 7 07-16-2011 05:29 AM