Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: ECX Temper Gen 1

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2019, 08:08 AM   #1

Default ECX Temper Gen 1

So I bought two of these for my kids and they don't like them because they're slow. Works for me because I like them and I have other RCs they can play with. However, I wanted to modify them to perform just a little better. Tires, shocks, added weight. Stuff like that. I'm finding it hard to accomplish though. I got some more aggressive tires and they bind on the lower links even though they're the same size. I tried making it rear steer but of course the servos turn the same way. So I've basically got $60 and several hours of research and tinkering and have accomplished next to nothing. I'm not expecting this little crawler to perform miracles. I just like modifying things like everyone else. Anyone have any experience with these or any advice? Thanks guys.
FullyBad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2019, 11:41 AM   #2

Default Re: ECX Temper Gen 1

Hey there,

I have a Temper and they're indeed slow, but I successfully installed rear steer. You either need to buy a servo reverser or reverse the servo internally (which is what I did).

Take a look at this video and see if it's something you want to tackle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4n1ec2w21pA

Here's a servo reverser (NOTE - I have not used this or went this route, so do your own research) -> https://www.amazon.com/Expert-Electr...ustomerReviews

Four Wheel Steering definitely improves the crawling ability of the little truck. Good luck!
WaterfordMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:36 PM   #3

Thank you. That's very helpful.
Old 02-05-2019, 09:25 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

if your feeling crazy you could turn a temper into a monster truck just would need to make a transmisison mount for a traxxas 1/16 transmission with a much lower ratio. Then grab some monster truck tires... something like what the tlt-1 came with I think... tamiya uses those tires still on another kit.

Done something similar to the losi mini crawler waaaaaay back and been really happy with it.
If ya got a 3D printer you could go a bit moreso crazy with the kiddos and teach them how to make modifications for it. Just make sure to use abs if you live somewhere that gets hot!
T_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:48 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

some axle wideners will do wonders for it as well, and get your tires out of the links. https://www.amazon.com/JunFac-51032-.../dp/B009UOM0LO

I would avoid adding weight. The reason these thngs crawl so well is becuase of the light weight. You also have plastic lockers, and more weight will make them more likely to strip.
dacaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:51 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Tank View Post
if your feeling crazy you could turn a temper into a monster truck just would need to make a transmisison mount for a traxxas 1/16 transmission with a much lower ratio. Then grab some monster truck tires... something like what the tlt-1 came with I think... tamiya uses those tires still on another kit.

Done something similar to the losi mini crawler waaaaaay back and been really happy with it.
If ya got a 3D printer you could go a bit moreso crazy with the kiddos and teach them how to make modifications for it. Just make sure to use abs if you live somewhere that gets hot!

Lol I'm not feeling that crazy but I'm sure that would turn out fun as well. I really want to get a 3d printer. That's been in the gameplan for a while now. I feel like that would open up all kinds of new options. Besides, who doesn't love designing their own accessories? =)
Old 02-08-2019, 06:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
some axle wideners will do wonders for it as well, and get your tires out of the links. https://www.amazon.com/JunFac-51032-.../dp/B009UOM0LO

I would avoid adding weight. The reason these thngs crawl so well is becuase of the light weight. You also have plastic lockers, and more weight will make them more likely to strip.

Yes! The axle wideners is what I've been looking for. I haven't found any that I think will work though. Everything I'm finding is for tenth scale and is I believe 5mm. The Temper runs a 12mm hex which is great but the axle nut is like a 3mm or 4mm. Does that sound right or am I missing something? I have a Vaterra Ascender right next to the Temper and I can see the bolt diameter is larger.

Thank you for the advice with the wheel weights. That's a very good point that the plastic gears probably won't hold up to the extra mass.
Old 02-08-2019, 09:23 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

When I had one, I found I liked driving it more when I put a lot of preload on the rear shocks. I went cheap guy and used zip ties to act as spacers. It significantly restricted the front end from flopping around from all of the torque twist.
colbynobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:10 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullyBad View Post
Yes! The axle wideners is what I've been looking for. I haven't found any that I think will work though. Everything I'm finding is for tenth scale and is I believe 5mm. The Temper runs a 12mm hex which is great but the axle nut is like a 3mm or 4mm. Does that sound right or am I missing something? I have a Vaterra Ascender right next to the Temper and I can see the bolt diameter is larger.

Thank you for the advice with the wheel weights. That's a very good point that the plastic gears probably won't hold up to the extra mass.
The wideners off a gen 1 barrage would probably work for you.... IIRc they use the same axles as the Temper.

https://www.hobbytown.com/ecx-barrag...212024/p538081

Last edited by lonleycreeper; 02-08-2019 at 10:15 AM.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbynobo View Post
When I had one, I found I liked driving it more when I put a lot of preload on the rear shocks. I went cheap guy and used zip ties to act as spacers. It significantly restricted the front end from flopping around from all of the torque twist.

I'll give that a try. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
The wideners off a gen 1 barrage would probably work for you.... IIRc they use the same axles as the Temper.

https://www.hobbytown.com/ecx-barrag...212024/p538081

That's perfect! Thank you!
Old 02-09-2019, 06:34 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

The wideners I linked will work, but the ecx ones linked dont include everything you need, they are for a barrage gen 1, which already has them from the factory, as well as the required longer axles. Follow the link from my post, the red parts are the hex wideners (they are 12mm) and the silver bits are basically extended nuts that go through the wideners to the stock axles. The ECX ones that are linked dont include those pieces.

Last edited by dacaur; 02-09-2019 at 06:38 PM.
dacaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:32 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaur View Post
The wideners I linked will work, but the ecx ones linked dont include everything you need, they are for a barrage gen 1, which already has them from the factory, as well as the required longer axles. Follow the link from my post, the red parts are the hex wideners (they are 12mm) and the silver bits are basically extended nuts that go through the wideners to the stock axles. The ECX ones that are linked dont include those pieces.
Good call. Thank you so much.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

ECX Temper Gen 1 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ECX Temper spectre Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 30 01-03-2017 11:59 PM
ECX 1/24 Temper Wavekatcher Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 28 06-18-2016 08:38 AM
My new ECX Temper driftomaniacs Scale Videos! 0 02-03-2016 08:46 AM
Ecx Temper mactools02 General Crawlers 2 12-28-2015 06:39 AM