Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: 5-Speed Manual Transmission

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2007, 06:02 PM   #61
Winner of the '07 RCC dumbass award!

How long of a shaft you need?

Titan motor shafts have always been long enough for my projects....

I know you got a blown up motor layin around....
WheelChair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2007, 06:04 PM   #62

Where the hell is mechanical bob in this thread?

He knows where you need to go to get the goods...
Old 08-02-2007, 06:05 PM   #63

Well, I'm not really sure yet... I was going to order a foot and experiment until I got what I needed... A single motor shaft will not work though.
Charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:06 PM   #64
Quarry Creeper

its also 1/8th inch rod nice idea adn to run pinion and pinion ud just half to have a really low pinion to spur
hiliftcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:10 PM   #65
Quarry Creeper

Just get some 3.2 MM rod and grind off a little bit on one side, just enough for the little set screw on the pinions to hold very tightly onto.
Krawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 06:17 PM   #66

I found some 1/8th inch diameter, 12 inch long rod, stainless steal rod, no d-cut. I'll just file it down.

EDIT: Thanks a LOT guys, would have taken me a long time to find what I would have needed on my own.

EDIT: Now I need to think more of the fork like think, that engages and disengages...

Last edited by Charger; 08-02-2007 at 06:54 PM.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:00 PM   #67

EDIT: I posted it 2 times...

Last edited by Charger; 08-02-2007 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:19 PM   #68

Well, this is my hurdle for now. I need to make the thing with the lable "Shifter fork thingy..." (I need 3 of them)

The purple pieces need to be able to split, so I can get it around the orange piece. Screws hold the purple thing around the orange thing.
It would be nice if the purple thing could ride on a bearing on the orange thing...

(sorry for using "orange thing" and "purple thing" so many times)

The orange piece will have have to have a grub screw so it spins with the output shaft, but also needs to be able to slide to engage the blue gears.
The orange piece also needs to be able to split apart, so I can fit a bearing on it that the purple piece can ride on.

one last thing... The brown piece is a piece of rubber, maybe "tape rubber" where one side of a sheet of rubber is sticky.

Also, need to make some way of making shifting rods (green, blue, and red) to stay connected to the purple piece's arm

(Red rectangles = bearings, green gears = input gears, blue gears = output gears.)

Sorry to make every thing kinda.. unorganized.. I'm tired and I keep getting distracted.

EDIT: Maybe instead of grub screws in the orange piece, I could use a steal ball, like a ball bearing ball, and have one on the top and bottom.

Last edited by Charger; 08-03-2007 at 08:02 AM.
Old 08-03-2007, 07:59 AM   #69

Any one have a pic of the Tamiya highlift shifter forks? and the shaft where it runs on?
Old 08-03-2007, 08:05 AM   #70
Quarry Creeper

I couldnt tell you where to find the shift fork for the Tamiya 3 speed, but what I can say is....

NICE DIAMGRAM! I like how you laid out that tranny diagram...but one thing... where is 3rd and 4th gear? All I see on the diagram is 1st and 2nd, and 5th and Reverse.
Krawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:10 AM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawlin View Post
I couldnt tell you where to find the shift fork for the Tamiya 3 speed, but what I can say is....

NICE DIAMGRAM! I like how you laid out that tranny diagram...but one thing... where is 3rd and 4th gear? All I see on the diagram is 1st and 2nd, and 5th and Reverse.
I'll look on tower.

Hehe, thanks... spent a long time doing it, with many distractions. I cut out the 3/4th (only in that diagram) because it's basically the same as 1/2. the only reason I added 5/r in the back of the diagram is because the R has a idle gear and I wanted to show it.

Now, with balls!

2 bearing balls, (steal balls), one on top one on bottom, (this is sounding weird...) The side of the orange piece will have to unscrew, so I can put the balls in and put a bearing over the orange piece so the purple piece can ride on it with less drag.

Now, if the orange piece can lock on spinning wise to the output shaft, and still slide freely... This might just work!

Last edited by Charger; 08-03-2007 at 08:28 AM.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:51 AM   #72

If you guy's have any idea on how I could make the item labeled "Shifter fork and thingy..." (Purple and orange) would be appreciated. I will leave going to a machinist as a last resort. Is Delrin strong enough to take the abuse that those pieces will go through?
Old 08-07-2007, 12:53 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charger View Post
If you guy's have any idea on how I could make the item labeled "Shifter fork and thingy..." (Purple and orange) would be appreciated. I will leave going to a machinist as a last resort. Is Delrin strong enough to take the abuse that those pieces will go through?

Stainless steel tubing is your friend!

Plastic should not be used on a shift fork.

Build a shift fork out of Stainless. You could take a round fitting and cut it so as to make a shift fork, Then Solder or braze the part to the shift fork rod.

As for a guide, you can use the next size larger tubing.
...Or just drill a hole the right size.

Good Luck!
Old 08-07-2007, 01:21 PM   #74

Well, for the first time, the "SOB, this is going to be hard" feeling is kicking in for this project.

I'll go look around when I have some time.
Old 08-08-2007, 03:29 PM   #75
I wanna be Dave

collars can be used for your "purple thing" You can find them at Lowes and other hardware type stores or http://www.mcmaster.com/ or http://www.servocity.com/html/mechan...cessories.html has some as well as bearings.

you could (maybe) use two of these type bearings to use as your "orange thing" notice the neck. Posistion them in the middle of the color above. it will move on the shaft and not at the color though. or use bushings with bearings over it.
Double J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:35 PM   #76
Quarry Creeper

hay i just noticed somthing are you going to be using three diffrent shift arms becuase if ur not your gonna be running in two diffrent gears at the same time
hiliftcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 05:58 PM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double J View Post
collars can be used for your "purple thing" You can find them at Lowes and other hardware type stores or http://www.mcmaster.com/ or http://www.servocity.com/html/mechan...cessories.html has some as well as bearings.

you could (maybe) use two of these type bearings to use as your "orange thing" notice the neck. Posistion them in the middle of the color above. it will move on the shaft and not at the color though. or use bushings with bearings over it.
You can't use bearings there! Those "Orang things," need to lock on the shaft they are on.

If after the nationals, you still don't have this figured out, I would not mind fabbing up some parts for your build man.

The Shift fork, The cogs for the gears... Hell yeah!

I'm all about hand made and would not mind donating some time to this project.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:27 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double J View Post

I may be able to use this piece for something, depending on the size they come in.

Highliftcrawler: I will be using 3 different shift forks.

Wheelchair: Wow... that would be unbelievable.. but I would be pressured to make sure it DOES work so it wouldn't be a waste of your time.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:32 AM   #79
Pebble Pounder

LOL! This whole THREAD! LOL! Good Luck with that!
toomanyrcz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 09:36 PM   #80
Quarry Creeper

you need to get ahold of that craze german who made that 100% scale
Ferrari
dotson is offline   Reply With Quote