RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Holmes Hobbies (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/holmes-hobbies/)
-   -   TorqueMaster BR-XL Big Brushed Power! (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/holmes-hobbies/200916-torquemaster-br-xl-big-brushed-power.html)

jcboof 02-02-2010 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes (Post 2274271)
I have already replied.

Man your quick!! Now that's service!!!"thumbsup"
Like a email ninja!:mrgreen:

JohnRobHolmes 02-02-2010 02:54 PM

Sometimes at least. I played hooky from school today to catch up on work.

jcboof 02-02-2010 03:17 PM

WOW! Thanks a million John! That is customer service!!!"thumbsup""thumbsup"

Rig Rocker 02-07-2010 01:35 AM

Hey John. love the BR-XL. SUPER SMOOOTH!
Waterproofing looks great too"thumbsup"

Having one issue with mine though. With Holmes Hold on, my motor is trying to go backwards and forward instead of locking in neutral. It's like motor is fighting itself. Started smoking the motor, so I turned the feature off. tried adjusting deadband to widest and it was the same. Is Holmes Hold supposed to be set at very low% ? I have my drag brake at 70%.

BTW, this is not installed in my comp crawler. It's in my Honcho with Tekin 55T and DX3R

Also, the instructions aren't clear on how to select options with stick programming. I'm guessing that you use the throttle or steering wheel? But how? Seems like that part of instruction was forgotten or left out.
I used Castle Link, but it would be nice to know exactly how to use the stick programming function.

JohnRobHolmes 02-07-2010 09:02 AM

Try turning down the drag % to get it to stop creeping. It seems I have some more bugs to work out on the Hold, a new firmware revision is in need.

I think I need to update my instuctions on line. I could have swore I put that part in there. Full throttle is a "yes" and full reverse is a "no" answer.

53 willys 02-07-2010 11:10 AM

this may have been asked all ready but...
can the castle field programmer change the lipo cut off on the HH esc's???
thanks

Gimp 02-08-2010 09:49 AM

I've read that the ESC comes with 4mm bullet connectors, is there wires on the connectors or do I need my own?
Thanks!

JohnRobHolmes 02-11-2010 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 53 willys (Post 2284923)
this may have been asked all ready but...
can the castle field programmer change the lipo cut off on the HH esc's???
thanks

Only when hooked to a computer

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmb5450 (Post 2287010)
I've read that the ESC comes with 4mm bullet connectors, is there wires on the connectors or do I need my own?
Thanks!

You will need to supply wires

Gimp 02-14-2010 04:20 PM

What gauge is the battery wires on there? I plan on running 12GA Deans Wet Noodle with a 35T Handwound on 3s LiPo, 12GA sound sufficient?

Thanks a million, will be buying one next weekend!

JohnRobHolmes 02-25-2010 06:58 AM

13ga battery wire comes on them, so 12ga is certainly sufficient!

Ktbone 02-25-2010 04:54 PM

Hey John any idea when the new firmware might be out? I'd really like to run the Holmes hold but I don't want to risk burning up another ESC.
BTW- this thing ROXs even without the hold, the low end is so very smoooth.

RivBlueNoma 02-28-2010 03:26 PM

Hey John, I just bought a new BR-XL and Im having some technical difficulties. :shock: Just sent you an email about it from b_norton@rocketmail.com.

Cave Dave 03-04-2010 03:28 PM

I just picked up one of these used,how does one tell if it's the waterproof version? ( I don't want to find out the hard way it's not! )

Ktbone 03-04-2010 03:52 PM

There will be epoxy around the base of the heatsink. See the photo on John's website, the picture of the ESC there is the waterproofed version.

ricerscott 03-06-2010 03:35 PM

Just got mine a little over a week ago, and it is a great speed control! Super smooth low end on it. My only complaints are I wish I could play with the throttle curves a bit, like the sidewinder, and the case could have been cut out alot cleaner. I got the waterproof version, and it looks like they just snapped off the top half of the case. Pretty ugly looking, I was kind of dissapointed, got a brand new speed control that looks like a kid played hack away on it. I emailed John but didn't get any response about it. And the sticker was messed up like it is in the pics when I got it. Its not really a big deal, but when you buy something new it should look nice and new.
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...z/DSC00943.jpg
http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h1...z/DSC00942.jpg

JohnRobHolmes 03-06-2010 09:31 PM

Yep, that is the WP version! It is a bit messy of a job to encase them, and I have improved my methods a bit. I am looking for a more professional way of doing it, right now it is just me working out of the basement. I sticker them myself, and that wouldn't pass the snuff though. Maybe it shifted in shipping, I can send another if you would like.

ricerscott 03-07-2010 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes (Post 2342444)
Yep, that is the WP version! It is a bit messy of a job to encase them, and I have improved my methods a bit. I am looking for a more professional way of doing it, right now it is just me working out of the basement. I sticker them myself, and that wouldn't pass the snuff though. Maybe it shifted in shipping, I can send another if you would like.

I'm really not to worried about it, the sticker is no biggie. I was just worried about the case, but I will probably end up trying to smooth it out myself, as a couple of the edges are pretty sharp.

JohnRobHolmes 03-07-2010 08:02 AM

Must have slipped by me. I take a knife to those edges normally.

jcboof 03-08-2010 08:05 PM

is it possible for the Torquemasters to shut down from thermal overload??

This past weekend at Midwest, I beat the hell outta my crawler on the finals course, I worked my motors harder than I've ever worked em before and I had a glitch that lasted a few seconds. I had finished gate 4 and working my way to 5 and after several attempts up a crazy vertical climb, my truck shut down. It lasted about 6 or 7 seconds, I had no throttle, no reverse, NOTHING. after a bit everything came back on and worked fine again. But then the next day messing around at another comp spot nearby, I had it happen again, but I was not being hard on it at all.

Just curious if this has happened to anyone else??

ScalerLover 03-16-2010 10:38 PM

Hey John, i see there is no single motor turn limit.
But what about dual motors ?
I have mine in an emaxx based 1:6 scaler right now and was wondering if i could run dual Kershaw Designs 650s motors on 2s lipo.

Thanks.