Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Project Rockstar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2008, 07:15 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Project Rockstar

This was a build called Elvis by it's previous owner. It eventually was built for me for trade of a savage. Here is the original build thread.
I think I'll call it Elvis

After I got it there were a few things that I wanted to change. A few turned into alot and now it is alot different. I call it project Rockstar.

How it was when I got it.

Then I hacked a bunch off to make some changes.

Then I built a new bottom end for it.

Next was mockup for the new shock and link locations. The front will be droop and the rear will be sprung.

That is how it sits right now. I have all the link mounts marked out and just have to cut and braze them on. Then the shock mounts. I have plans to mount the batts in a very different way that I think everyone will like. I will also be making rocksliders and bumpers for it. Eventually a new body is in order as well as painting the tubing. Last detail will be rock crusher tires once I get some more cash. Let me know what you all think.
CrawlinClodKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-19-2008, 07:25 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Looks like you started with a pretty nice rig. Can't go anywhere but up from here. I'll be checking thread for sure...
smcurry83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 04:22 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by smcurry83 View Post
Looks like you started with a pretty nice rig. Can't go anywhere but up from here. I'll be checking thread for sure...
I agree.
LST022752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 10:34 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Also I was gonna call this the Brute. If you read through the previous build someone said it looked like the aev brute conversion. I looked at the pics and decided it will be. I like the idea of a rubicon pickup. The bed will be a bit different than the brute but it will be similar.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:23 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Well you haven't changed up the design to much. I like how you did the trans mount. Now you got room for the new Axial trans dig unit. I'm curious to see how you run the links. Looks like triangluated lowers but how do you plan on doing the uppers? Gonna mount both bars on the outside axle mounts and run the uppers straight?

Get it running, you got three weeks then I want to see how it runs on my rock pile for comparision. Do you think the new config will perform better?
Mriswith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 06:37 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Sweet chassis, I am for sure gonna watch this unfold. I really like the chassis
rockeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 09:39 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Ok a little update. I will be leaving for a while on the 3rd so I may be back by the time you are mris. Anyway I am waiting for a chance to pick up some steel plate for my link mounts heh heh youll see, and some aluminum angle for somthing else. So I figured I would start on my fully functional tube doors. They are made with 1/8" solid rod. This is a pain to do since the bends are so tight and what not. They are not done yet and I will post more pics when they are, maybe one done later tonight. Anyway here are the pics so far.

Also here is the new body so you can see what it looks like with a virgin body. heh

Sorry Mris I know you can't see the pics, I will send them to you again.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:52 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockeater View Post
Sweet chassis, I am for sure gonna watch this unfold. I really like the chassis
I take a piece of the credit but that piece is getting smaller and smaller by the update. :-P I've got some inside info, keep watching, you'll like.

I'm liking where this is going. Your giving me a few idea's for a JK scaler.

How thick of steel you looking to use? I got 2 different thickness of plate. The thinner that I orignally put on the belly of this 7lb pound beast and some thicker I haven't used yet. The thicker stuff would work for the link mounts if I'm tracking you right. If you haven't gotten it by the time I get back let me know, I got a 16" square sheet of it.
Old 02-24-2008, 11:10 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Well I see you are on now. So I am looking to get 1/8" by 3/8 flat for the mounts. I will grind them to the shape of the down tubes so it is a smooth transition. Man I have to say tube doors are a pain in the butt by the way.
Old 02-25-2008, 12:08 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

I've got an idea for some tube doors myself. Shoot me a pic when you can and I'll be better able to describe it. They'd be removable. The only part I don't have figured 100% is the latch because they'd fully functioning just like the 1:1. Maybe a samll button screw through the door into a 3mm nut brazed to the cage. What I've got pictured would be a lot easier than the coil buckets this rig started with. Those sucked.

I know what your thinking for mounts now but I can't remeber if I have any of that steel flat bar.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:14 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Mine tube doors are removable. I will show you the latch either when I get it done or when you get back. I have one door done except for the latch. I have an easyish idea for the latch.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:18 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Ok last update for tonight. I got one door done except for the latch. Check it out.

They are a pain to make, but it turned out like I wanted it. I will get more updates posted as I get more done. Later
Old 02-25-2008, 01:44 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Thats really sweet, good job man
rockeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:08 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Hopefully more people comment on this. It was alot of work. Also I have not seen any other person do the tube door thing.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:35 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

The doors are cool. What are gonna use to keep 'em shut?
smcurry83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:11 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

I am gonna braze a plate in between the two supports and use a spring loaded pin that I am making. It will engage a tube on the chassis to keep it closed. Hard to explain. When I do it I will post pics.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:49 AM   #17

Well in my about a year of lurking around RCC, I must say that I am REALLY impressed with the tube doors. They will be even cooler when you work out the spring loaded release that you were talking about earlier. Keep us updated. These are really cool!
clod freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 01:56 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

One more for today then I go to work.

Hopefully I will get to finish up the basic parts of the second door tonight. Then I can start on the latch mech.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:24 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Time for another update. It's got two doors now and the passenger one has a working latch. I just have to find another ink pen for a spring for the drivers door. Well here are the pics.

Enjoy and if anyone has questions or comments feel free. I should add that I have never done metal work to include brazing so this is all my first time. I love doing this stuff though so plan on alot more from me.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:23 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Very nice work on those doors. Thats sweet. I need to learn how to braze better..:(
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote