Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Kamikaze Kustoms Zero D Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2009, 10:14 AM   #21

What battery are you going to use? I like the way you set up the servo mount I think I am going to have to do the same.

-Eddie
FourPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2009, 09:11 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourPlay View Post
What battery are you going to use? I like the way you set up the servo mount I think I am going to have to do the same.

-Eddie
I'm running a 860MAh 3S LiPo. Thanks, the servo set-up works good, I like it.

Got the front end done today, drag link, upper and lower links, also got the dig set up. I'll try and get the rear finish tomorrow, just 4 links to go and mount the electronics, then I can give it a shake down run

I'm thinking of just leaving the links and parts how they are, it gives it a home made look with all the tooling marks and everything in them Gives it character

Gotta clean up the link, And the trans apparently it has some carpet fibers on it And yes, I do need to cut the screw down.

Don't mind the electronics

Thanks,
Shaun

Last edited by Shaun; 01-11-2009 at 09:18 PM.
Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 11:28 PM   #23
Rock Crawler

Got the rear finished. The servo I had for the dig turned out to be dead, I guess I have to do with out dig for a while, since I don't have the money for a HS-225MG.

If anyone is wondering I used 1/4 inch solid aluminum rod for the chassis spacers, drag link, and links.

I decided to just go ahead and polish everything, I can always anodize it later, and I probably will. I'll try and get on polishing it in the next few days.

Thanks,
Shaun
Old 01-13-2009, 03:11 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

looks sexy
phase10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 12:23 PM   #25

i would definately have it anodized your project looks pretty good so far keep up the good work it pays off when you finally get it finished.
pbacon317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 05:18 PM   #26
Rock Crawler

Thanks guys, its still a work in progress. I got it running minus dig, I have an interview at Hobby Town tomorrow so I'll wait and see if I get the job before I order a servo.

Runs great, super stable, and will crawl over anything. The other OKRCRC guys better watch out for me this season

Its got a bit more flex, but I might limit it a little bit, I don't want it to have very much.

New angle on the dig. I'm going to redo the link.

Complete with battery and body, and electronics. If it had some hybrid foams it would be even more stable.

How can you beat that? 3" of ground clearance and still stand it on its side, with a shafty! Now go buy your self a ZERO!

When it gets a little warmer I'll get some pics and vids on the rocks, right now its 16 degrees out side.

I got alot more work to do, but it runs. I'll also be doing a body for this, grappler, black, with a red rising sun coming out of the front lower portion of the door.

Last edited by Shaun; 01-15-2009 at 05:25 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:09 PM   #27
Rock Crawler

Finally got to take it out for a shake down run, and its wicked. It will crawl over anything you toss at it. Once I get a 9100 for steering and HS-85MG for the dig I'll be set. I'm amazed at how well it crawls, and how good the steering set up works.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:49 PM   #28

good work.......waiting for that video
chris akhay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:59 AM   #29
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris akhay View Post
good work.......waiting for that video
Thanks, I'll get one soon, I didn't have my camera or vid cam, I left straight from work to go crawl, and didn't have time to run by the house.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:52 PM   #30
RCC Addict

What shocks are you using? I am doing the exact same build almost but with no bta steering and a TAG chassis.
calikingcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 04:52 PM   #31
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by calikingcrawler View Post
What shocks are you using? I am doing the exact same build almost but with no bta steering and a TAG chassis.
I'm using the 120mm aluminum shocks from JP Custom RC, I'm using the stock Wheely King springs.

I made a list of things to order when I get my paycheck next Friday.

Integy Aluminum Knuckles
Integy Aluminum Hubs
Hitec HS-85MG
Old 03-18-2009, 05:55 PM   #32
RCC Addict

Sweet. I was running some off brand in droop setup. my ground clearance is only 2" but with the weight of that R2dII I am afraid to raise it any. Are yours limited inside at all? Also it looks like you have tons of room for the full size servo mount from ckrc that bolts to the R2. Any reason you didnt use it.?
Old 03-18-2009, 06:18 PM   #33
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Sweet. I was running some off brand in droop setup. my ground clearance is only 2" but with the weight of that R2dII I am afraid to raise it any. Are yours limited inside at all? Also it looks like you have tons of room for the full size servo mount from ckrc that bolts to the R2. Any reason you didnt use it.?
The shocks are not limited any. I could fit the CKRC mount, but what would be the fun in that? I only buy the stuff I can't make.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:21 PM   #34
RCC Addict

I custom built a chassis links and servo/battery mount on my last rig. Came down a 4' drop on its lid and when i flipped it over it flexed REALLY good. Maybe because the chassis split in 2. what body posts are you running
Old 03-18-2009, 06:50 PM   #35
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I custom built a chassis links and servo/battery mount on my last rig. Came down a 4' drop on its lid and when i flipped it over it flexed REALLY good. Maybe because the chassis split in 2. what body posts are you running
I'm using Traxxas body post, part number. tra4214. Should be like $2.50 for two of them. They are front body post from a 4-Tec.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:18 PM   #36
Just jump it!

That thing is awesome.... I just happen to have a extra slingshot chassis laying around. Keep your eyes peeled!
rottenbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:22 PM   #37
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenbelly View Post
That thing is awesome.... I just happen to have a extra slingshot chassis laying around. Keep your eyes peeled!
Thank you for the comment.

I got some of the wiring taken care of. Looks much better now.

Can't wait, only 5 days till I get my pay check and I can order the rest of the parts
Old 03-28-2009, 05:29 AM   #38

Still great looking build dude. I know i've seen them before somewhere, but where did you get the little alloy mount that fit to the WK axles to allow you to mount the suspension link bars?

Cheers
Paul.
iheartoldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 07:52 AM   #39
Rock Crawler

The rear mount, I made myself, from a piece of L channel aluminum, the front one, is a mount from www.TCSCrawlers.com
Old 03-28-2009, 10:45 AM   #40
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Not sure I understand what you mean with the "long shocks". If they are too long, why not just screw the spring adjuster to the top of the body and essentially lower the truck. You could then move the shocks out to the ends of the chassis. Would stand the shock up more.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote