RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   HPI Wheely King (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/hpi-wheely-king/)
-   -   Don's DNA R/C WK Pro Proto buildup (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/hpi-wheely-king/173410-dons-dna-r-c-wk-pro-proto-buildup.html)

iheartoldskool 04-22-2009 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KvilleKrawler (Post 1752444)
Wow, "thumbsup"

That is one awesome looking WK... I have a WK sitting on my shelf not doing anything. Once this is out you will def have an order from me for one of these. Well, this and a WK dig unit too.

Me too!!

thehopping1 04-22-2009 03:17 AM

Those rings are awesome. I would buy the bead locks just to have those rings.

crawler_king 04-22-2009 04:29 AM

Great build! Thanks for keeping the WK in the eye of the comp. crawler crowd.. I love mine and finally after a year or so of heavy bashing/crawling it is time for a new one.. I might take my old WK gear and give your chassis a spin once it is out.
All hail the King! "thumbsup"

billet works 04-22-2009 10:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Well, here it is RTR ready for it's initial crawl. I've already run it around the house and the motor setup works flawlessly! Just for grins I ran it up the angle board already and at 61 degrees I can floor it and spin the tires all the way up no ill effects...problem is these tires are way old running stock losi foams and won't get traction at anything steeper than that. That's ok tho, new shoes will be here soon enough. That being said, I'm not gonna let that stop me from taking it out for a spin on the rocks.

Making it RTR...well I found there was enough room on the upper links, between shocks and between motor and steering servo to fit the lipo, so that's where it went. That made it so I could place the Sidewinder on the grill portion of the servo mount where it is nicely protected and uses the least mount of wire from esc to motor...and esc to battery. :lol:

Equipment used:

HH Cobalt 500 Puller
Hitec 7955TG
Castle Creations Sidewinder
Maxamps 1100MAH 2S
Old school FM radio

CD13 04-22-2009 11:56 AM

Very nice Don,I remember those wheels from the first day I met ya.Heavy and sharp :-P

RobiUSA-James 04-22-2009 04:05 PM

really nice setup don. way better than the original design. give me a call when you guys having pricing and/or availability.

billet works 04-22-2009 04:34 PM

Thanks James

Here's a vid. I got out there and the cam batteries were almost dead...so I had to make it quick. Also note my handmedown axles have worn ring and pinions that are skippin in the vid like mad! Those will be replaced quickly :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c3PlHOyvHU

More updates coming soon!

rottenbelly 04-22-2009 05:03 PM

Cant wait to have a 4th DNA rig. I bought another wk just to build one when it comes avalible. :shock:

Do you think shorter shocks would work on that setup?
I put slash front shocks all around on my wifes DNA rig and it did better than mine with losi's on there!

Nerve 04-22-2009 05:53 PM

Interesting chassis and motor setup.

Good to see that people are still out there using and bashing the WK (as well as creating new products for use with the axles). I'am one of or one of the very few people that "actually" run WK axles in our club. The WK axles seem to be the "ugly duckling" of the crawling club up here.. lol. But the WK axles haven't given me any issues, so why switch over. I still would like to add those rear lockouts you have as well as straight shafts to remove the stockers.

That skid plate is so tiny it almost reminds of some moa chassis designs. Which it also gives it nice breakover angles. Is the rear axle clocked further up then the front axle? Purposely setup that way? I know mine are even running "Xtreme hobbie" links and RCP parts in the front.

Question, what is the inside diameter of the plates?

Also, what is the weight on that rig so far? 4-5lbs ? It looks like it is currently a very light rig.

Keep the updates coming. "thumbsup"

crawler_king 04-22-2009 08:18 PM

Dang from the video I am thinking that I may just rebuild my axles and skip buying a new rig.. let me know when they are avalible!

Mudman 04-22-2009 09:10 PM

Glad to see something like this. You've conviced me not to give up on my WK even though I already have an AX10 build near completion. "thumbsup"

I am interested in any part you will make for the WK crawler!

billet works 04-23-2009 12:22 PM

8 Attachment(s)
The new shoes have arrived :lol: On these new black anodized WK/Berg Stalkers I'm running HB White Rovers all the way around with NWT Reach foams up front and Squat foams out back.

On to the pics :shock:

sourdojack 04-23-2009 01:05 PM

DEAD SEXY!!!

That is going to be insane!

I just wish the shock towers were low enough to run Revo shocks. But I can make due...

Is there a BTA/highsteer set-up in the works?

TOM

tqcookie 04-24-2009 07:22 AM

Don you are right. Those stalkers are sweet in black. It is a toss up between those and the assasins. I can't wait to see how some of the other colors look.

These were sweet wheels to begin with but the anodizing really takes them to the next level.

JavelinSST390 04-25-2009 05:22 PM

I NEED A set of those lower link mounts.... "thumbsup"

CD13 04-25-2009 07:07 PM

See what ya did,now I have got some WK axles so I'm gonna need some more assasins and a sevo/battery mount,link mounts and well you know :lol:

billet works 04-25-2009 10:01 PM

Thanks everyone, we're getting there on this project! I got this thing repaired from my ring and pinion break (at around 2:30 this morning) and swapped out the radio for a TQ I had sitting around so I could also run the SSS today...well I mean so Greg could run it today.

Here's a video of it in action on course 2 from today's comp. Keep in mind, the steering is worthless because not only did I run out of time to install a BEC...I also had to swap radios for a TQ with no EPA settings. On top of that, today was Greg's first time seeing this rig in person :ror: I will work on the things I slacked on for todays test run and get more/better vids over the next week or so.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzgipKTuRx4

Creepy Inc. 04-25-2009 10:42 PM

Did you lock the sliper in the trany?

billet works 04-26-2009 08:23 AM

What slipper? I'm running alum gears :ror: I still had some issues with my front ring and pinion tho :x

ROCKEDUP RICKY 04-26-2009 08:50 AM

Thats the best looking wheely King I've ever seen. "thumbsup"