Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > HPI Wheely King

Notices

Thread: Just ordered a Wheely King that I don't intend to crawl with.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2015, 12:10 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Just ordered a Wheely King that I don't intend to crawl with.

Hey all.

I wasn't sure where else to post this. This subforum is probably the largest Wheely King group I've found online, so please forgive me that this isn't crawler related. I just ordered me a Wheely King 4x4. I want to make it perform as close to a real monster truck as I can. I don't want the truck to wheelie everytime I breath on the throttle.

The stock truck comes with a 21T pinion and I want to throw a larger one in. What size do you guys think I should use? Would a 30T be good, or do you think I should go higher? I'll be running a 2S Lipo in the 5000mah range.

Last edited by chino; 06-15-2015 at 02:00 PM.
chino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2015, 03:37 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Just ordered a Wheely King that I don't intend to crawl with.

The stock battery position is what causes all the wheelying. If you turn the chassis around, aka drive it backwards and mount your servos on the axles(assuming you want 4wheel steer) you should be good to go with stock gearing.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2015, 06:20 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Go to rcmt.net lots of good monster information there...
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 05:57 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
The stock battery position is what causes all the wheelying. If you turn the chassis around, aka drive it backwards and mount your servos on the axles(assuming you want 4wheel steer) you should be good to go with stock gearing.
Awesome. I was actually thinking last night that that could be an option.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:22 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Putting the battery up front is good. Until you jump... Invest in the crawler kit - the longer links and better mounting points for the axles are worth it. Lots of adapters for different size wheels too. The longer links will remove some of the "wheelability" and it will be much more stable.

Very fun trucks!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:35 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I was thinking that battery up front could hinder the jumping capabilities. I'm going to hold off on the crawler kit. I think it looks perfectly scale right now which is what I'm looking for. This is just to hold me over until Axial releases a serious contender.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:44 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Height and weight have proven to be key in getting my vehicles to launch and land in a controllable manner. Taller gears might not be the way to go but if you do be sure to check ESC and motor and battery pack temperatures.
MountainStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 02:43 PM   #8

This one is pretty easy, considering I've had my WK for a while and I just put significant coin into it to get it to where I wanted. Look at this thread for some tips on how to get it to stop wheely-ing, and to get some awesome scale Monster Truck performance. I've done all these to my WK and the only way I can get it to wheely is on Lipo power and a heavy throttle finger
bpare207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:13 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for all the input. My truck shipped yesterday and will hopefully be here by week's end. I used Tower's Easy Pay for the first time (Been a customer for nearly 10 years now). After couponing, I only need to shell out $65 for the next three months. Seems too good to be true lol.

I'm excited to get this truck in. It's weird, now that I'm older and making good money, I just want to get trucks and drive them. When I was younger and only working part time, I would sink hundreds of dollars into my rigs. Funny how that works. This is just going to be a fun beat around machine. I ordered a front axle servo mount yesterday out of impulse. I'm not sure I'm going to use it yet. I'll drive it a few times stock before tearing the thing apart.
Old 06-17-2015, 08:33 AM   #10

I ended up gluing the plastic hexes to the wheels in order to stave off buying new wheels because mine started rotating through the wheel (stock config + rear locker + 5600mAh 2S LiPo).

Oh, we also ended up using an old Hitec 645MG we had laying around because the stock servo gave out once we put it on the front axle mount.
InsanePacoTaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 01:07 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

My WK just arrived and I'm looking it over now. As I said earlier, I have an axle servo mount on the way that will go on what is currently the back axle. If I want to run the battery up front, do I just need to rotate the tires and reverse the polarity on my motor?
Old 06-18-2015, 03:45 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Yeah either that or turn the axles over, make the top of the axle the bottom and vise versa. Not sure if the motor has any timing built in, but just swapping the motor wires might make the truck a little slower.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 02:10 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

HPI MV12603 Maverick STRADA MT Evo

Same theory basically, few $$

Last edited by P.A.Myers; 06-24-2015 at 09:14 AM.
P.A.Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 11:36 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
Yeah either that or turn the axles over, make the top of the axle the bottom and vise versa. Not sure if the motor has any timing built in, but just swapping the motor wires might make the truck a little slower.
I tried to do this over the weekend before really looking over the axles. It didn't go as planned. The geometry of the mounting points on the axles didn't allow for me to just flip them over :/

I put a steering servo over the rear axle and locked the front. I flipped the throttle switch on the controller just to see how the truck would run in reverse, and let's just say you couldn't even measure the performance. It crawled moving forward and just wheelied going backwards.
Old 06-23-2015, 05:51 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Last night I swapped the motor wires and reset the remote to default... Everything seems to be working great Top speed is a little crap on stock battery. My new 5800mah 2S LiPo is arriving today. Hopefully that kicks up the pep a little bit.

What's the lowest turn brushed motor that the stock ESC can handle?
Old 06-23-2015, 06:11 AM   #16

The Wheely King comes with the SC-15 ESC now right? If so, it's minimum 15 turn mod motors.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:16 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpare207 View Post
The Wheely King comes with the SC-15 ESC now right? If so, it's minimum 15 turn mod motors.
Much appreciated. Just ordered the HPI Firebolt 15T off Amazon. Only cost $13 with free shipping.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:49 AM   #18

I have one in my WK, with an XL-5 esc because the original EN-1 just stopped working when it sat in the box for a long time. The truck rips on a 2S 30C 4000mah Turnigy lipo I have.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:00 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

So I just got in from the initial test run. Modifications include;

- 15T Firebolt motor
- Axle mounted steering servo
- 5800mah 2S Lipo
- Battery sits upfront

I think that's it. I'm pretty happy with how it drives. It freaking rips. Gotta be careful on the brake or it front flips. It very easy to control in the air. I wasn't expecting it to still wheely. From a stand still, it will still flip over onto its roof if I pin it. I'm going to try and get a quality video together eventually. Here's a quick clip of my test run.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLpeuc0RnHE
Old 08-14-2015, 08:51 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

So I'm having a blast with this truck. However, the suspension links have way too much flex and the half shafts keep popping out because they twist so much. Is there a company that makes aluminum links that aren't purposely designed to crawl with and won't increase the ground clearance?

Just ordered a Wheely King that I don't intend to crawl with. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ordered Wheely King from Tower dynacrawler58 HPI Wheely King 7 02-23-2009 01:38 PM
making the wheely king crawl better iceman320 HPI Wheely King 6 05-23-2008 03:29 AM