Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: ZoSo Willys Rebuild

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2011, 09:17 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
IIRC, though, it seems $75 or so could buy a good example from the bay. Is that not the case any longer?

But I wouldn't think a Dragon would be required for good detail. I've been very impressed with my Hasbro. Keep in mind that the older Hasbros had much less detail so I focused more on the newer model. You may already know this, but just in case you didn't I figured I'd mention it.
Good condition 2001's usually go for at least $75. The detail is just about on par with the Dragon, I'd use one if I could get it for a decent price. Reinforcing a 2001 plastic chassis with aluminum stock does look easier than building a chassis from scratch, and it would end up looking much more correct as well. Since a Dragon kit is at least $90 plus shipping, a 2001 for $100 or less would be worth it I guess.

The ones that go for REAL dollars are the 60's models, with the very simple molded-in bench seats. The detail sucks on these. They must be collectors items because of the vintage.
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2011, 10:09 AM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
Good condition 2001's usually go for at least $75. The detail is just about on par with the Dragon, I'd use one if I could get it for a decent price.
How 'bout $65 shipped for a 2001 in "perfect condition"
Old 08-15-2011, 10:45 AM   #43
RCP CRAWLERS

Quote:

now that's a deal
ZoSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:35 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I'll take it if he doesn't want it and shipping will be cheaper for you, I'm practically next door!
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:17 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
I'll take it if he doesn't want it and shipping will be cheaper for you, I'm practically next door!
No, I just scored one on Ebay for $65 shipped. "Perfect condition" is in quotes becaues those are the sellers words, I am hoping they are accurate.

Baltimore? Do you ever get out west in the state, like Gambrill State Park in Frederick?

Last edited by Big Mike; 08-16-2011 at 01:19 PM.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:16 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
No, I just scored one on Ebay for $65 shipped. "Perfect condition" is in quotes becaues those are the sellers words, I am hoping they are accurate.

Baltimore? Do you ever get out west in the state, like Gambrill State Park in Frederick?
sorry 'bout that! I mis-read your post.

I haven't been to Gambrill State Park, but the MDRCCrawlers club goes to Sugar Loaf a few times a year, I've been there w/ the big RC Willys once, the terrain was great!
Old 08-17-2011, 08:34 AM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
sorry 'bout that! I mis-read your post.

I haven't been to Gambrill State Park, but the MDRCCrawlers club goes to Sugar Loaf a few times a year, I've been there w/ the big RC Willys once, the terrain was great!
I did'nt even think of the Loaf, I bet there is a lot of fun terrain there. I've mountain biked over there many times but never been there to run rc's.

There's someone else nearby with a 1/6th Willys, now I'm really motivated.

My Jeep only has to come to VA from PA and it looks like it left PA yesterday, so hopefully it'll be here by the weekend. I can get a lot done to it with stuff I already have on hand. Chassis reinforcement, bodywork, mock up a 4-link rear 3 link front, tranny and servo mounting, I can get a lot done w/o spending a dime and start buying the new stuff next month. I've been doing a lot of reading and picture-studying. And some preliminary shopping. Looks like Axial axles are going to be the route, seein's how Wheely King axles seem very hard to come by these days (if you'd have time at some point to elaborate on your new axle setup, I would appreciate it. It can't be as simple as just XR-10 axles in AX-10 cases can it? Do you get any increased width out of the XR parts?)

Or RC4WD Blackwells, they would be so perfect for this build but daaamn $360 for axles alone is hella steep.

It looks like it's avoid the very Atlas-appearing Killer transfer case in favor of the more mundane Disruptor Reliability wins. You can't really see it anyway...

Last edited by Big Mike; 08-17-2011 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 04:27 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I did'nt even think of the Loaf, I bet there is a lot of fun terrain there. I've mountain biked over there many times but never been there to run rc's.

There's someone else nearby with a 1/6th Willys, now I'm really motivated.

There's more than a few of those 1/6th Willys Jeeps around, DonsATV has one as well as MetalMasher.

Looks like Axial axles are going to be the route, seein's how Wheely King axles seem very hard to come by these days (if you'd have time at some point to elaborate on your new axle setup, I would appreciate it. It can't be as simple as just XR-10 axles in AX-10 cases can it? Do you get any increased width out of the XR parts?)

WK axles are easy to find since everything internally is replaced/upgraded, you just start w/ new cases and buy everything else to build them. I had them for a year under my Jeep, they worked very well, I just wanted the Uber HD XR-10 front axle shatfs, so the 'AXR-10' axles were developed. check out the thread in the 'general crawlers' section, they are simple to build.

It looks like it's avoid the very Atlas-appearing Killer transfer case in favor of the more mundane Disruptor Reliability wins. You can't really see it anyway...
The killer t-case died within 1 outing in my Jeep, it isn't made for heavy vehicles. The Disruptor T-case is the only way to go, plus the only time you will see the T-case is when you roll the Jeep over on the roof.

Last edited by BigSki; 08-18-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:36 AM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Yea! We've got a body to get started on.

It's missing a couple things (jerrycan, and shovel/axe if this model came with them) but overall it is in very good condition.

Daaaamn, this thing is BIG!! This is going to be a fun project.

Off to Axle Class, let's learn about how to build the AXR-10 axle...

Or maybe Wraith axles? They would be substantially wider. Hmmm...

Last edited by Big Mike; 08-18-2011 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:56 PM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Nice body/chassis to get started with. I've given serious thought to selling all of my other scalers because I have so much fun running this big Jeep.

Feel free to ask questions if you get stuck on something. ( Sorry about the thread jacking)

Last edited by BigSki; 08-18-2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:22 AM   #51
RCP CRAWLERS

Quote:
Yea! We've got a body to get started on.

It's missing a couple things (jerrycan, and shovel/axe if this model came with them) but overall it is in very good condition.

Daaaamn, this thing is BIG!! This is going to be a fun project.

Off to Axle Class, let's learn about how to build the AXR-10 axle...

Or maybe Wraith axles? They would be substantially wider. Hmmm...
the Wraith axles are to wide ...I think... for the 2001-2003 Jeeps
they may work better on the dragon.... I think
Wheely/Crawler King work best for the GI Joe Willys
Old 08-19-2011, 10:17 AM   #52
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoSo
the Wraith axles are to wide ...I think... for the 2001-2003 Jeeps
I'm thinking the "AXR-10" axles are going to be the ticket, after reading through the "Longer Beef Toobs" thread.

Quote:
( Sorry about the thread jacking)
Yea, sorry about that. I'll start my own thread at this point.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help...

Last edited by Big Mike; 08-19-2011 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:53 AM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Hey ZoSo,

are you still running a puller motor in yours? I've decided that I need a bit more wheel speed, but after trying to tune the wheel speed w/ different pinion gears I discovered tat once I got the wheel speed I wanted, the hand wound 35T just has to work TOO hard to make it happen.( Temps got so hot I couldn't touch the motor w/ my finger) so it's time to figure out a better option for a motor.
Old 09-05-2011, 01:38 PM   #54
RCP CRAWLERS

Quote:
Hey ZoSo,

are you still running a puller motor in yours? I've decided that I need a bit more wheel speed, but after trying to tune the wheel speed w/ different pinion gears I discovered tat once I got the wheel speed I wanted, the hand wound 35T just has to work TOO hard to make it happen.( Temps got so hot I couldn't touch the motor w/ my finger) so it's time to figure out a better option for a motor.
I run a 35T on an old nicad 6 cell 5000 using an old Novak rooster
and it's got a lot of wheel speed...maybe the motor's worn out
try putting a fresh 35t or 45T and see if it has some pop.
Old 09-06-2011, 09:50 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoSo View Post
I run a 35T on an old nicad 6 cell 5000 using an old Novak rooster
and it's got a lot of wheel speed...maybe the motor's worn out
try putting a fresh 35t or 45T and see if it has some pop.
Thanks for the reply. Hmmmm, now I have to figure out who has the damn puller motor in their Jeep, maybe it's Darin. My motor is a HH 35T Torque Master and it's pretty fresh, it's just drawing a ton of current to move this 15lb. pig around as fast as a stock Honcho!

I guess it's time to start building the next Jeep so I can try out the DeWalt drill motor/gearbox combo.