Notices

Thread: Finally starting my 1/6th Willys MB

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 08:58 PM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmuzz1 View Post
The lights look great!

After I rework my front bumper I'm going to have to start working on lights as well.
Thanks! I've been enjoying reading your build, you get things done quickly, I spend too much time over-thinking everything....
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2011, 06:33 AM   #42

ive read your build for long time before i joined and , this is awesome stuff keep up good work
nitrofingerpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 11:19 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

man this thing rocks... i need one...let me know when it needs a new home! lol
blakeski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:40 PM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Here's a few more updates. I was in the mood for some fab work last weekend, so I made a steel PullPal, I have an original way to mount it I just have to get busy with the styrene. I also had to rebuild the steering wheel mounting bracket, after I attached the drivers hand to the steering wheel the solder joint on the brass components quickly failed so I rebuilt it with all steel parts, it will outlast the jeep!

Here's the disassembled steering components.

This is always the most time consuming part of brazing for me- setting up some jigging to hold everything in place while I apply the heat and bronze to the part.

Here's the finished bracket.

I didn't take any other pics, it reassembled the same way as the brass part, this version is just a LOT stronger, I now have a driver whose hand moves w/ the steering wheel. It should look good in the vids. My female was just shaking her head in dis-belief that I would go through all of that work just to make a dolls' hand move, she obviously doesn't understand.....

This is the Pullpal that I made. It should be bullet proof.

I'm hoping to get out this upcoming weekend and try out the winch anchor.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:26 PM   #45
RCC Addict

Lookin good Walter!! Can't wait to get together soon and give your Pull Pal a work out.
DonsATV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:31 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

A few more pics, here is the Pull-Pal holder that I made, I haven't seen anything else like it so maybe I've finally had an original idea!

The band clamps are aesthetic, the tube is held with GOOP, but I think it sells the idea of a big clamp. I just need to paint it now.

The Pull-Pal is held in place with a neodynium magnet at the base of the tube, it should hold the tool in place when the roll cage goes in to 'operating position' !

Old 03-03-2011, 04:57 PM   #47
I wanna be Dave

Here's another update. I wanted to mount a spare tire to the back of the Jeep but on something studier than the plastic body, so I whipped up a simple tire/gas can mount that I brazed to a metal bumper cover that is mounted to the stock plastic bumper. I still need to paint it but I'm happy with the overall look and function of the carrier.

The tire mount was an old buggered up stub shaft, I made the quick release handle from some nails that I had laying around.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:26 PM   #48
RCC Addict

Lookin great buddy.
I like the mount for the pullpal, very original.
Everytime I look into this build I see more I want to change on mine.....great job!
reddevildemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:08 PM   #49
RCC Addict

Just keeps gettin better all the time Walter!!!
Old 03-03-2011, 10:10 PM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevildemo View Post
Lookin great buddy.
I like the mount for the pullpal, very original.
Everytime I look into this build I see more I want to change on mine.....great job!
Thanks for the compliments! This Jeep is a learning experience, the next one will be a 1000 times better but it might be a while before I start it, I'm having a lot of fun with this one.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Here's another short update. I attempted a functional pintle hitch using a small trigger style snap hook. It will work but it's a bit bigger than I wanted so I'll have to track down a smaller size one and re-do it again. I also whipped up some very basic sliders. I learned a lesson yesterday while trying to braze with the acetylene torch- a dull red color is plenty hot enough for the bronze to flow! I had it too hot at first, the bronze just puddled and then popped (splattered), so I tried a tiny piece of TIG filler wire that I had, which melted and flowed! I discovered gas welding, which I'm completely unfamiliar with, but now I want to try some more, I just got to find a place that will sell the TIG wire in less than a 10# bundle.

I can't wait for a dry weekend to take this out, come on nice weather!!!

Last edited by BigSki; 03-09-2011 at 10:42 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 06:56 PM   #52
RCC Addict

the snap hook is a great idea for a pintle. for your mig, any welding store will be able to get you anything you need
joeyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:38 PM   #53
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
I can't wait for a dry weekend to take this out, come on nice weather!!!

Is that why you bought a waterproof camera??

LOL J/K
Old 03-09-2011, 10:45 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonsATV View Post
Is that why you bought a waterproof camera??

LOL J/K
Are you going to the comp in Hagerstown? Bring the 'tractor' if you are.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:15 PM   #55
I wanna be Dave

here's a new update, I started building a HD trailer for the Jeep. I've seen a few in here so I didn't want to copy anyone elses work, so I started by measuring out something that would be a bit narrower then the tow rig ( Jeep), I wanted a leaf spring suspension and a HD axle. I haven't decided if I'll make it into a cargo utility box or maybe some type of pop-up shelter, my driver whines as much as 'survivor man' when he has to sleep on the dirt!

After a bit of measuring I came up with a 3' x 5' trailer, this allowed me to not have any wheel wells inside of the cargo area and it's still not as wide as the Jeep. The frame is all brazed together so there's no hardware to come loose and fall off on the trail! The axle is the second one that I've built, the first attempt was in a different thread in the 'general scaler' section, I managed to destroy one of the spindles while trying to make the axle wide enough so I had to start over again today.

Here's the basic frame.

Here's the HD axle, I modified some CAC hub adapter to use bearings so that each tire can spin freely.

Here's everything semi-assembled so I could get an idea of the height of the hitch. I still need to make some shackles for the rear of the leafs.

This is a fun project, it should be stout enough to survive being bashed into rocks without breaking!

Last edited by BigSki; 05-28-2011 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:55 PM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Here's a short update, I've been keeping busy with the trailer. I started a styrene body 2 days ago, here's where it's at right now. I still have to figure out a simple but functional latch system for the tailgate. I'm also debating on color, I'm not sure about painting it the same color as the Jeep, there's already enough orange! The inner bed area will be a bed-liner coating that I used on my hardbody Yota, the chassis is already painted so I basically need an exterior color. I have some USMC green, most of the basic colors ( red, blue, silver, ect...) I've even thought about a desert camo pattern like the ones on our vehicles during Desert Storm. ( pre- digital camo)

Old 03-29-2011, 07:26 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Ok, I got some paint on it, I just went with a desert sand color, I might add some desert camo highlights later on but for right now I think this works ok.

I have to bolt the bed down one last time but it's all done for now. I ran the wiring through the chassis for the tail lights, what a PIA! Next time I'll know better and I'll pre-weave some sort of chase wire through it.

Here's my uber HD shackles that I made from 1/2" square bar stock.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:39 PM   #58
I wanna be Dave

I was messing around with the Jeep today when I just got sick of the 645 servo not being able to turn the tires all of the time, it was like having manual steering, so I decided to do a power steering upgrade. I robbed a monster servo from my comp rig that I don't use anymore. I also have a dedicated CC BEC just for the steering servo and steering wheel servo, this setup should allow me to move rocks out of the way!

And here is the 'power steering' box, a JR Z9100T servo, it should do the job!
Old 04-02-2011, 06:58 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Something was missing on the trailer, I just couldn't put my finger on it until today when I was at Pep Boys buying a hitch plug for the F250, right next to the trailer wiring stuff was reflectors , I needed some reflectors on the sides of the frame for the scale trailer.

The reflectors are made from a real reflector, I have a unique ( and not-so-safe) way of making them, that's why I'm not posting any pics of the fabbing of the reflectors, I'm not going to help anyone injure themselves. The housings are just styrene tubing.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:44 PM   #60
I wanna be Dave

small update, I've just been collecting some scale accessories for the driver and trailer. @twill had some goodies up for grabs last week and I somehow managed to beat everyone to them! I robbed the wheels and tires from the Jeep to use on a Honcho TTC rig, so I nabbed my old favorite CAC wheels off of the comp rig that I don't run anymore and mounted up some more RokLox.

I'm still undecided about the beadlock wheels, part of me really liked the white steel wagon wheels. Feel free to comment!

I first saw these in the back of RedDevilDemo's awesome Willys, he wouldn't tell me exactly where to find the file for these, but I finally found it! I got some brown cardstock paper from Office Max and made a dozen of these. After I printed them out I had to cut them out, bend and glue them together. I started to get the taste of Chicken ala-king in my mouth..
Anyone who has eaten the old MRE's ( 80's-early 90's) knows what I'm talking about.

Basic supplies for a trail ride

Re-use of my old CAC wheels

The Jeep goes to to a scale event this Sunday, I'm hoping it does well.