Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: First ever 1:5 scale build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2014, 09:34 AM   #1

Default First ever 1:5 scale build

I've decided to build a 1:5 scale truck. I have had the drivetrain, suspension, tires, steering servo for years now I'm acting on it. I cut out a bottom plate for the three piece design chassis today. the Chassis is going to end up weighing about 4 lbs when all done. I'm hoping the truck itself will weigh about 15 lbs. I'l be working on the top plates in the next day or two. Need to still drill all the holes for my Diffs and trans braces. Has anyone else home built a 1:5 Scale SC truck? 2wd, or 4wd? I'm going to be using the Team Losi 5ive body, except the one piece design. My truck is 18" wide and a WB of 24" it will be brushless and run 4s for the time being.
97flexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2015, 03:03 PM   #2

Default Re: First ever 1:5 scale build

Pics?
TDARacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 05:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97flexy View Post
I've decided to build a 1:5 scale truck. I have had the drivetrain, suspension, tires, steering servo for years now I'm acting on it. I cut out a bottom plate for the three piece design chassis today. the Chassis is going to end up weighing about 4 lbs when all done. I'm hoping the truck itself will weigh about 15 lbs. I'l be working on the top plates in the next day or two. Need to still drill all the holes for my Diffs and trans braces. Has anyone else home built a 1:5 Scale SC truck? 2wd, or 4wd? I'm going to be using the Team Losi 5ive body, except the one piece design. My truck is 18" wide and a WB of 24" it will be brushless and run 4s for the time being.
I created something similiar to Your project.
My one is 4wd, sitting on solid axles (widened MF), customizet aluminium frame,redcat rampage MT wheels and extended body from this same truck.
My one has a: WB24 ,33L, 22W and 15H. According to my calculations, is more like a 1/8 scale (In comparison to the real monster jam MT ). Its weighs only aboute 10 kg ( i dont know,how many pounds is ti ?) . Body is finish, and is only waiting for painting - i dont have time to do it
Peter30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 06:30 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

A member named twissted on here did. Used the Losi body as well. Ran the castle xl2 combo for 8s. In the vids it was an animal, check it out.
Joshs4x4toyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 12:41 PM   #5
I joined the Band!

I have built a few of 1/5 scale it is hard to keep 1/5 at 17 pounds. It will be fun to see yours at 15 lbs. I have a video of the 18 pound buggy running. it is a very tuff buggy. it takes out a 2x4 saw horse in the video and keeps on going until it hits a mail box post. I called it quits after that!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2N60-JjWVg

I could have kept the weight down more but I really like the 1/6 scale Hemi motor that I mounted in the back. I also have a on board camera that adds a little more weight now also. and if I use the GPS unit it is more like 19 pounds with the bead lock rims that are now on. I will need to reweigh it to be sure.

The Short Course Truck build it a monster and weighs 35 pounds it also uses a 10+ hp motor and is very hard on drive shafts & tires! It is crazy fun on 8s!

Last edited by twissted; 01-24-2015 at 12:44 PM.
twissted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:54 AM   #6
I joined the Band!

10 horse monster!

This will get you there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BVlbykIIX0

Done right there is nothing like it in the world. To be able to do a ground up build with different parts from all over the world to make a one off build that others can enjoy. I will tell you this. I went through a lot of parts that never made it on this build. It was slow and costly. Big power comes at a price and this is something that the build needs to be designed around.
Good luck and if you need more help, just ask. I'm also at rc4wdform.com I'm one of the team drivers. I love talking about my builds and will be willing to help you if needed.

Last edited by twissted; 01-27-2015 at 06:05 AM.
twissted is offline   Reply With Quote

First ever 1:5 scale build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
~The Scale Shop~ 2008 Scale Nationals Rubicon 2.2 Tuber Build STANG KILLA SS 2.2 Scale Rigs 103 12-10-2010 05:49 PM
~The Scale Shop~ 2008 Scale Nationals Rubicon Build STANG KILLA SS 1.9 Scale Rigs 90 05-07-2009 03:44 PM