Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: Futaba 4PLS and Linear Actuator

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2014, 02:36 PM   #1

Default Futaba 4PLS and Linear Actuator

Hey guys...Newbie GatorMan here, and after all the videos I've been watching about Harley on YouTube, I feel like I might be in the right place and I'm hoping that you guys can help me. I posted in Electronics and got nothing.

I'm building a RC Kawasaki Mule 1:1 scale (full scale), and would have put this in the large scale forum, but my question is on Futaba Electronics. Using a Futaba 4PLS and 10amp Precision Digital Motor Controller's from ServoCity. Tapped into the Electric Assist steering with a DPDT switch and works great (Channel 1), though I still can't find like connectors to attach, but I digress. EPA (EndPoint Adjustment) works fine on the steering.

Here's my problem...I'm using bike cables attached to (2) 2" Linear Actuators (0.77") for Throttle and Brakes, and I can't get EPA to work on either.

Throttle (Channel 2): I need the actuator to be fully extended in Neutral. When I pull the trigger, the actuator needs to pull based on how fast I trigger (which it does), but not travel down more than say 1" (or it will break the cable assembly or worse), and then fully extend as I release. If I stop pulling the actuator stop pulling. I have Trim set to B100, and it does extend back when the trigger is released to neutral, but no matter what I set for EPA, the retractor will always fully retract the 2" travel. I need to make sure that I don't over-retract, so How do I make it stop at 1" or whatever I need?

Brakes (Channel 3): Same problem. I would be OK if it simply pulled 1" when brakes were applied and somehow trimmed to fully extended as the 4PLS trigger went back to neutral. I have Brake Mixing turned ACT, and as I write this after 2 days of trial and error, I think I should be able to apply SubTrim to the Brakes to get the actuator back to fully extended. I'll try that, but same problem, how do I keep the linear actuator from over-retracting?

Anyway, would gratefully appreciate and help in letting me know how to stop the Linear Actuators from breaking my cable assemblies. Thanks...

GatorMan
GatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2014, 10:52 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Futaba 4PLS and Linear Actuator

You might get better info from some of the other sections of the forum...large scale rigs is pretty quiet and electronics is hit or miss on this kind of question. There are plenty of tinkerers and engineers on the forum that may have the answer...you just need to find them. Also, google the crap out of it and youtube search it. There are WAY too many people doing WAY crazier things out there. You'll be sure to find something. I don't even want to guess why you're building a 1:1 RC Mule!!! Best of Luck! Greg
Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote

Futaba 4PLS and Linear Actuator - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Futaba 4PLS and Linear Actuator EPA? GatorMan Electronics 1 07-09-2014 02:32 PM
Hydraulic steering look/ Miniature Linear Actuator CCFBERG Scale Accessories 85 04-07-2014 09:28 PM
Linear actuator review (made for rc) Juddp Scale Videos! 2 09-22-2013 03:51 PM
Miniature linear actuator roydelburg General Crawlers 10 04-22-2007 08:54 PM