Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Check Out The New Wheel Mod PLEASE OMMENT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Check Out The EASY New Wheel Mod PLEASE COMMENT

Description of the build lower down. Just wanted to add some pictures of some of the other tire styles available. The ones on the left, first picture are the ones I was hoping would better for crawling. They had the white powder syndrome so I am doing the oil treatment on them. I talked to my son and found the problem with bandwidth is due to how many pictures I have up. I took some off to add the pictures. Will need to cut more out in a few days.

Last edited by stomper4x4.com; 12-02-2010 at 07:08 PM. Reason: typo
stomper4x4.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2010, 06:28 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

i guess the real question is why ?? these are crawlers youre turning it into a wheely king seems like youre going backward
murderface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:53 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderface View Post
i guess the real question is why ?? these are crawlers youre turning it into a wheely king seems like youre going backward
Why not!!!

Look at what we did with the QLO's...I'm sure many people questioned that! It ALWAYS helps seeing other ideas if nothing else than to see that it's not to your taste. Look at that build thread that was done on the "monster truck"...one of the most looked at and responded too on the micros to date. Not my taste but alot of others liked it and the craftsmanship was awesome!

I like the look of these and it is very clean. THE REAL QUESTION is where is the actual build info...I'm not sure what u did and what u used?!?
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 07:43 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Default What I Used

The rims and tires are from one of my Kyosho Mini-Z Monster trucks. I sacrificed one of my aluminum sets to try it out and luckily they work great. The aluminum rims were a hassle so I got out a set of the stock plastic chrome plated rims and the modification is so easy you won't believe it. If you decide to try this I recommend using the stock chrome plated rims. Very cheap in the stock version.

1) Enlarged the axle hole in the center of the rim larger so I could get a tool through for the self locking nut.

2) Peeled tires off of the stock tires and rims.

3) Sanded (LIGHTLY) the mating surfaces on both rims. The parts fit so well together only removing of the chrome is required for enhanced bonding properties.

4) Cleaned with Acetone, and air dried 30 minutes.

5) Super-Glued the stock MCRC rim in to the back side of the Mini-Z
Monster Rims.

6) Potted the gap between the two rims with 2 part epoxy.

7) Optional, I glued the little allen-head bolts in to the holes in the aluminum HR lock rings using the epoxy. Used super glue to secure the lock ring to the rims. This is another unbelievably easy step to do.

As to the response before yours the only reason I did it was to put the idea out there for people if they want a cool looking cheap set of rims.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:24 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

all im saying is that this kind of thing is why people think of these as toys this is a crawler forum the qlos are great for crawling but yes they are excessive too i was gonna cut and shut some qlos but as far as the monster truck build that was mentioned i think it shouldve been in the scale forum and maybe this shouldve been in the non crawler rc forum im not saying its dumb i just want to keep this a crawler forum and stuff like this as cool or ingeuitive as is may be is not a mod to improve crawling capability its a cool mod just not a crawler mod if you get what im sayin ...i dig the truck itd be cool brushless as a basher i just feel like im one of the few here that wants this to be a crawler specific forum i mean it is rccrawler.com right?
Old 11-29-2010, 08:37 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANALLY View Post
"monster truck"...one of the most looked at and responded too on the micros to date.
I think my quad cab dodge beat it by a little.
Pretty sure i was the first one to actually post up a scale build too.

Not tryin to toot my own horn or anything just saying.

I think this tire mod is cool, for a basher, obviously the tires arent crawl worthy.
ScalerLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:48 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
i just feel like im one of the few here that wants this to be a crawler specific forum i mean it is rccrawler.com right?
I've never jacked a thread and won't start now...

As for the rim mod...pretty cool. Thanks for the description. You did a good job hiding the glue and all. Most mod's like this end up working well but not looking this clean.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:14 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Default One More Comment, Many Tire Style Available

I forgot to mention that there are MANY different styles of tires made for these rims. I have a set coming that looks like a good design and will post a picture when I get them. The Kyosho Mini-Z Monster is not a crawler but is a high quality RC truck made by a great company.

Thanks for not Jacking my posting. I have tried to show pictures of many different styles of these little trucks since joining I have and never get comments.

I see now why, seems thinking outside the crawler world is not the way to go on this site.

Would be interesting to know what Rich thought of this if he hadn't been badmouthed off the site. He is an inspiration to this hobby, and the posters on here hounded him to no end. What a shame and loss to the RC crawler Community.
Old 11-29-2010, 09:27 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Great build and write up(not my thing, the monster look), but make sure and get the pics of the new tires. One of the biggest downfalls of these rigs is lack of aftermarket tires. You might start something with this here.
BLOODBANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 09:34 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

just to clarify i wasnt trying to bash anyone but just look at any other forum on here and you dont see this kind of stuff i said it was a cool mod but just putting a hardbody on a 2.2 it gets bumped to the scale forum thats all i was sayin
Old 11-29-2010, 10:29 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
just to clarify i wasnt trying to bash anyone but just look at any other forum on here and you dont see this kind of stuff i said it was a cool mod but just putting a hardbody on a 2.2 it gets bumped to the scale forum thats all i was sayin
Sorry...your first reply didn't say it was cool. It read harsh to me. Just my opinion. Hearing your opinion for this forum and it's content??? no comment

I think that the rim idea is good and the picture of that tuber one gave me the urge to go build one like that with an 11.1 lipo as a rock-racer. That's what it's about for me. I too would like to see the other options you found for the rims.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:59 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

All of us here use ideas others have came up with and modify those ideas to fit our need. This wheel mod is a good one. It's a start to open doors for many other tire options. Not just the tires in the thread but many others out there. We all use others ideas and this is just another that many others will use as well
willy1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:46 AM   #13
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
all im saying is that this kind of thing is why people think of these as toys ...... i just feel like im one of the few here that wants this to be a crawler specific forum i mean it is rccrawler.com right?
Last I checked they are,were and will always be toys. Unless there's some REALLY small members I've not met yet.

How is it that the wheel mod he's working on is not crawler related? People have been building odd size wheels for crawlers for many many years.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:16 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

it says right in the manual this is not a toy i just love how a little ball busting gets soo far out of hand on here
Old 11-30-2010, 01:21 AM   #15
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
it says right in the manual this is not a toy

Quote:
i just love how a little ball busting gets soo far out of hand on here
Don't get tender on us, just throwing a little love back at ya.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 10:44 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
all im saying is that this kind of thing is why people think of these as toys this is a crawler forum the qlos are great for crawling but yes they are excessive too i was gonna cut and shut some qlos but as far as the monster truck build that was mentioned i think it shouldve been in the scale forum and maybe this shouldve been in the non crawler rc forum im not saying its dumb i just want to keep this a crawler forum and stuff like this as cool or ingeuitive as is may be is not a mod to improve crawling capability its a cool mod just not a crawler mod if you get what im sayin ...i dig the truck itd be cool brushless as a basher i just feel like im one of the few here that wants this to be a crawler specific forum i mean it is rccrawler.com right?
i dont really think that this is in the wrong place, being a losi micro.

Should all "scale projects" go in the scale section, or THE RIG SPECIFIC TECH FORUM....

And you are not really in any position to tell someone where they should post their threads.

Its just like, your opinion man.

not factual reality.

And I want to see more from this build.

I just bought a 1/24 scale model monster truck and chassis to either do a build with, or give to my cousin for Xmas
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:23 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

I was looking forward to the pics, did you remove them because of 1 persons comment? Funny thing is I posted a monster truck build thread in this section and got like 30 replies, non negative and murderface was the 1st to comment saying " just post the pics if ppl dont like it fu@k em this forum is all about doing your own thing and getting help from others on how to make it better ... is it at least crawler based??? ". You can see it here Any Monster Truck Fans?

I am not trying to bash anyone I just thought it was strange. Maybe he's getting annoyed with slightly off-topic post, who knows.

stomper4x4 you could be a bit more descriptive in the title, but so should alot of people. I also think you should reload the pics.
rcdave13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:33 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Default Lost Pictures

All, thank you for the positive comments, and glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks muderface kind of oversteps his bounds. There have been a couple of posts I took down due to his comments but not doing that any more.

I am sorry for the issue with the pictures. I have very limited bandwith and my stopmer4x4.com website uses it up. When I add pictures it gets used up even faster. Trying to figure out how to handle that issue.

It will reset on 12/1 so they should be available again tomorrow morning for a short time. Hopefully I can get some pictures of the new tires up before it runs out again. You can see the rim and tire options on EBay and search for Kyosho Mini Z Monster.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:52 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Just because of the Drama... this thread is 10 times better that the usual

"Will a 1s work?" or "How do you make those link's?"

I like to look at everything that is posted whether I will use it or not, It's alway's nice to see "what will work" if someone has question's.
T-buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:56 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by stomper4x4.com View Post
All, thank you for the positive comments, and glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks muderface kind of oversteps his bounds. There have been a couple of posts I took down due to his comments but not doing that any more.

I am sorry for the issue with the pictures. I have very limited bandwith and my stopmer4x4.com website uses it up. When I add pictures it gets used up even faster. Trying to figure out how to handle that issue.

It will reset on 12/1 so they should be available again tomorrow morning for a short time. Hopefully I can get some pictures of the new tires up before it runs out again. You can see the rim and tire options on EBay and search for Kyosho Mini Z Monster.
thats freggin sick duder!!!! i can see the pics now!!!

Murderface is an alright guy, just opinionated.

Just dont let his opinion change yours, unless you want it to.

and you sir, just cost me @least $250....

This model kit has a full one monster truck chassis, body, and all sorts of lil scale goodies.

I just couldnt figure out the tires.

Now i need a 3s compatible ESC, and a 3Ch receiver.

for a micro monster jam!!
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote