Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Big Block Campbell Tuber with DIG...when's it gunna stop?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Big Block Campbell Tuber with DIG...when's it gunna stop?

Someone already did the BIG BLOCK but I thought I would see where I could take it. I wanted a DIG and a tuber like a campbell racer. I made a trany plate that the servo can mount to and it also offers space on top for the electronics.

That's a PN racing 80t motor. With a custom mount it fits nicely...I just wish I could use a smaller pinion. This one is the small gear from inside the trany. I have yet to try it out so I can't offer any results at this time.

I can't wait to see how much better this motor is on a heavy rig with QLO's.

I can also say that the mod works better on the aluminum trany. The tollerances on the plastic housings messed with me for a while. I was also able to get the motor gear mesh tighter on the aluminum housing.

A washer welded to a custom bent wire. Smoothest dig ever at this point!

This is what I am building mine after. I have built one of these for evey size crawler in the past...super, 2.2, and 1.9. It's just something I got-to-do!

Mine won't quite be scale...the QLO's will be like 44's. These are like 37's.

I will be working on the tuber this week. I hope to be successful.
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2011, 09:17 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

I hope you are successful as well because it will be one kick ass looking crawler if it is. I have always liked the look of that type of tube frame, it will be nice to see it on a small scale.

The work you did on the trans plate/servo mount looks great, the arm for the dig also looks much better than your previous ones.
dockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:21 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockman View Post
The work you did on the trans plate/servo mount looks great, the arm for the dig also looks much better than your previous ones.
Thanks. Yah...that last one was just to see if it would work. I was pretty sure that the hinge system was the only way but after trying this arm system it this rocks.

I got a lot done on the rig last night...it's looking good. I will post some frame shots soon.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:12 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Very interesting build keep up the exceptional work.
Stormin2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Awesome.

what are you going to use for the chassis/cage?

The Dig is freggin genius.

by a vendor star so you can make me one!!!

LOL or post a lot more pics so i can try...
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:08 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEELZEBOB View Post
Awesome.

what are you going to use for the chassis/cage?

The Dig is freggin genius.

by a vendor star so you can make me one!!!

LOL or post a lot more pics so i can try...
Thanks!!! I will gladly post more pics. I will be doing another coat hanger tuber. I use oxy/map-gas and the white filler rods from home depot. I did another one a month ago. It looked ok. It was my first attempt at the coat hangers so hopefully this one will be better.

The other thing is the motor...will it be what I have been looking for? The magnet strenght on this is 100 x stronger than the stock motor. I am hopeful.

I wish i could find smaller electronics that didn't cost a ton. It's sooooo tough fitting in an ESC, 3 channel receiver, battery, and a dig system. I think this one will be a 5" to 5 1/2" wheel base.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:37 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Setting a high bar there!!!! Very nice work! Onward and upward!

I sure would like to see a pic of the collar/sleeve that connects/disconnects the 'shaft from the output. I doubt I'll dig my rig, but there's always my next Crawler. I just wish the rear could freewheel without power being put to it.
Midlife Crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 04:47 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlife Crisis View Post
Setting a high bar there!!!! Very nice work! Onward and upward!

I sure would like to see a pic of the collar/sleeve that connects/disconnects the 'shaft from the output. I doubt I'll dig my rig, but there's always my next Crawler. I just wish the rear could freewheel without power being put to it.
w/ worm gears, that would just be dig, right?
BEELZEBOB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 05:38 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEELZEBOB View Post
w/ worm gears, that would just be dig, right?
Pffft! Lol! I always thought worms were full of goo, not gears.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:10 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Actually the rear axle doesn't stay locked up as you drag it...it often rolls. I actually would rather it lock up. I have thought of ways to add a locking mechanism to the dig arm to lock up the driveline.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:22 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Lookin good DANALLY! I amd working on antother rig and was thinking of using the same motor, so hurry up and let me know how it works! Think it would handle 3s?? I may steel your dig design, i like the simplicity, great work. Do you by chance have a link to the servos you use?
getbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:18 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbent View Post
Lookin good DANALLY! I amd working on antother rig and was thinking of using the same motor, so hurry up and let me know how it works! Think it would handle 3s?? I may steel your dig design, i like the simplicity, great work. Do you by chance have a link to the servos you use?
I was told by the PN racing that it would not work on 3 cell...you and I think alike

I think I will have it running in a day or two and post a heads up on the motor findings. I am really worried about the pinion size being so big. I hope the low end is ok. There is no way to add a smaller pinion gear unless I flip the motor to the front of the trany and make spacers to mount the motor to. And with the dig unit you can't add the aluminum 56t spur gear...it contacts the drive line ring. I guess there will be more to come!

I am also going to do a step by step on the dig system since a few people want more pic's.

Should I post it on a new thread just called "how to build a dig"?

I looked at the dig servo and it has no markings and of course I trashed the package. I think its a sub micro 5.4g. I just picked it up at my local hobby shop. They aren't cheap...$25 if I remember right. A normal size steering servo works fine but it's just so big. You would be supprised at how strong this little servo is. I gotta go pick up some more tubing from there so I will find out the make and # soon.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:32 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANALLY View Post
There is no way to add a smaller pinion gear unless I flip the motor to the front of the trany and make spacers to mount the motor to.

This is the method I was planning to use so I could run a smaller pinion. Might still try it in 3s and see what happens! And thanks for the info on the servo, Ill be watching your build for sure. Good luck!
getbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 10:21 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

If you find your low end not up to par stick some neodymium magnets in that can..I love my 70t PN with neos smooth low end & wheel speed the best of both worlds...
Great job on the dig
chevy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:18 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbent View Post
This is the method I was planning to use so I could run a smaller pinion. Might still try it in 3s and see what happens! And thanks for the info on the servo, Ill be watching your build for sure. Good luck!
I think I migth have done it! I got the 56t aluminum gear to fit by cutting down the dig collar. I still need to test the dig but it looks good. I also may have a way to put the largest stock pinion on it. More to come.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy55 View Post
If you find your low end not up to par stick some neodymium magnets in that can..I love my 70t PN with neos smooth low end & wheel speed the best of both worlds...
Great job on the dig
Did the magnets do that much good? If so...I think I should do it. Are you running yours on the stock ESC?
Old 03-14-2011, 11:46 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

The magnets are worth every penny.Way more torque than with the stockers..I run mine on the stock esc 2s lipo 900 mah, the motor & esc don't even get warm after 30 min thats on a heavy rig almost 2lbs
chevy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 12:24 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Where did you source that motor Danally?
Old 03-15-2011, 09:04 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midlife Crisis View Post
Where did you source that motor Danally?

Here is the motor
http://www.kenonhobby.com/PN-Racing-...n_p_43051.html

here is the neo magnets
http://www.kenonhobby.com/PN-Racing-...t_p_43237.html

And here is a ball bearing case that comes with neo magnets and silver brushes...I am not positive on this one but it looks like it's supposed to fit any 130 motor.
http://www.kenonhobby.com/PN-Racing-...t_p_42225.html
Old 03-15-2011, 09:05 AM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy55 View Post
The magnets are worth every penny.Way more torque than with the stockers..I run mine on the stock esc 2s lipo 900 mah, the motor & esc don't even get warm after 30 min thats on a heavy rig almost 2lbs

Sweet! I will order them today. Did you change the can on yours to the ball bearing and silver brushes? It's only $13 for the can with magnets, brushes, and bearings.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:11 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Thanks for those links!!! She's definitely a big girl to fit. The shaft is huge! What pinion gear was used? A tranny gear?? Kinda cornfused there.