Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Possible new brushed ESC.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 02:38 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Possible new brushed ESC.

This I believe is what we have been waiting for. A lot of us have wanted an affordable brushed esc choice for our crawlers for some time. One that we all have looked at was the XYS-BL20A that was on ebay. It has a small footprint and is built for 1/18 or so the site says. Supports 2s lipo as well. Problem with it though is it has a brake function which would make it great for a micro rally/sct/t/dt/b/hr. I still wanted to try one though. Checking on ebay to round one up and seen they had a new one listed as well but this time with NO brake option. Just forward/reverse with no delay. Well after $12.00 and a slow boat from Japan(almost 2 weeks) later I got it in today. I was shocked at how small it actually was. It has the typical red JST plugs on it so I found some extra connectors I had laying around and swapped it to losi connectors. Grabbed a servo and losi motor an hooked it all up. The only rx/tx I had laying around was a Fm Lansu 4ws from a rs10. Figured why not if anything will mess it up or show bad performance it would be this thing. Got it all wired up and hit the switches. Heard a semi loud triple chirp and no lights. Well it has no steering but the motor will go. Realizing I am stupid turned it all off and unplugged the servo. Had it in backwards. Turned everything back on an was greeted with some little music similar to most brushless setups. Everything worked. Steering was smooth but my main thing was motor response. There were no power lights to be seen though. Gave the throttle a slow pull and the stock losi motor started to turn ever so slowly.I noticed a light came on then.Let of the throttle and gave a few quick blips and it lights to show throttle action. Least it gives you something. It has a very good throttle response. Forward and reverse. Then I check it with a 75t DDT motor. It did nothing but put a smile on my face. So for now on FM with a stock motor and DDT rewind, stock servo and MG90s it gave clean power and ran quite nice. When I get in from work today I am going to swap it out in my crawler with a Tekin B1r/ Flysky GT3B and run a few packs through it. It will be hooked to the Flsky to see how well it does with 2.4. So far the only thing I have seen that I don’t like is the lack of a power light but I will add more to this after I run it. Here are some pics of it to show size and the last pic is to show it compared to a stock crawler esc.

BerticusPryme is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Possible new brushed ESC.

I picked up a pair of the XYS-20A a year ago but never ran power to them. Now Im curious to see how they compare to the XYS-BL20a. price was the same last year
Cheap TX?
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Whoops... haha I just looked at the pictures in that thread and its the same model I guess they didnt use the *BL* part in the auction.
if these hold up they will be just the thing for those that want to swap to a hacked GT3B from LosiKid to get 4WS,dig, or winch
here are my size reference pix from the other thread.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:55 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Thanks Spoo76 for chiming in. So far they both ar ethe same but the one without the brake function is new. Well or at least I have never seen it. So far it is working out great. I ran it on a DDT 75t motor with the flysky and have to say it runs quite well. Never did get to test for the lipo cutoff but has comparable power to the Tekin B1r. Granted it doesn't have the programming of the Tekin but works great as a drop in replacement. Today I am going to install it full time in my 3500. That thing is a pig and has the 80t pn racing with neo mags to drag it around. If it can hold up to the abuse I put it though today then I think we will have a winner. Also if my water proofing has failed and I kill it while mudding with the 3500 I would feel alot better than if I killed a B1r.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:20 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerticusPryme View Post
Thanks Spoo76 for chiming in. So far they both ar ethe same but the one without the brake function is new. Well or at least I have never seen it. So far it is working out great. I ran it on a DDT 75t motor with the flysky and have to say it runs quite well. Never did get to test for the lipo cutoff but has comparable power to the Tekin B1r. Granted it doesn't have the programming of the Tekin but works great as a drop in replacement. Today I am going to install it full time in my 3500. That thing is a pig and has the 80t pn racing with neo mags to drag it around. If it can hold up to the abuse I put it though today then I think we will have a winner. Also if my water proofing has failed and I kill it while mudding with the 3500 I would feel alot better than if I killed a B1r.
Considering the listing hasn't changed I hope the software is the same on mine. Ive tried to search to see if you can turn off drag brake and only came across one other person fron years ago wanting to do the same, with no answer. if its as smooth as you say for the $$ its a great cheap alternative. this means if you shop around you can upgrade all the electronics for around $100. ESC,RX,TX and possibly the motor & Servo
Old 05-03-2012, 06:00 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

actualy they are different or at least the site says so. here is the one for the one with brake RC ESC 20A Brushed Car Motor Speed Controller 1/16 1/18 | eBay and the one without RC ESC 20A Brushed Car Motor Speed Controller 1/16 1/18 Brake Off | eBay. They even have a small one that is a 10a not 20 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Newest-Small...item3cc5885abc
Old 05-03-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Sweet. no brake is a great option for those with worm axles like the Losi or the Mini Qlo. the guys with the RSMCs have a spool diff with no braking and should get a brake, also good as you said with cars like the losi rally/ect.
so you have never tried the kind with brake? I need to find mine and give it some power to see how long the brake stop is
Old 05-03-2012, 07:27 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Definitely interested in the throttle resolution on that esc when you get it hooked up to the GT3B. Curious how it compares to the B1r as far as throttle control goes. Thanks!
getbent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:12 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

@Spoo76 From what I understand the brake time is about 1 second. Similar to what it is in the stock losi micros. It has to sit at a neutral point of no throttle for 1 second and then it can be put into reverse. or you can hit reverse to brake and then hit it again to go into reverse.

@Getbent So far on the GT3B it has about the same throttle control. I ended up running it on a stock,Getbent 80t pred, DDT 75t, and PN racing 80t with neo mags. First 3 were geared 10/54 and the PN was geared 17/58. All of them had good low end control even on the stock motor. On each one I could not the difference in torque and wheel speed. It actually had a good throttle curve on the GT3B. I even hooked it back up to the Lansu rx I got from a rs10 and it had a good curve as well. The 2.4 was slightly better but was still fine on AM/FM.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:03 PM   #10

Question Re: Possible new brushed ESC. sumo crawler miniqlo micro

I have a new miniqlo moa rtr and the receiver unit fried the second day. I was just looking on ebay at getting two xys-20a and a novak dig unit + my spektrum receiver. This will allow me to use my Airtronics M8 to drive the miniqlo. I drive lefty and the miniqlo's radio is crap. Can someone please tell me if I want the xys w/BRAKE or W/OUT brake. I know its got worm gear axles but I want the dig to still work. THANK YOU

I will be selling my redcat summo crawler that is very modified; aluminum beadlock wheels, soft springs, super swampers, lipo, losi motor w/ my own motor adapter, and a lexan hummer body.
Steve Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 06:12 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Possible new brushed ESC. sumo crawler miniqlo micro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Q View Post
I have a new miniqlo moa rtr and the receiver unit fried the second day. I was just looking on ebay at getting two xys-20a and a novak dig unit + my spektrum receiver. This will allow me to use my Airtronics M8 to drive the miniqlo. I drive lefty and the miniqlo's radio is crap. Can someone please tell me if I want the xys w/BRAKE or W/OUT brake. I know its got worm gear axles but I want the dig to still work. THANK YOU

I will be selling my redcat summo crawler that is very modified; aluminum beadlock wheels, soft springs, super swampers, lipo, losi motor w/ my own motor adapter, and a lexan hummer body.
you want the NO break.

Possible new brushed ESC. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brushed ESC for 4s? 65BAJA Electronics 10 03-08-2012 10:36 PM
Brushed esc pugs2300 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 3 02-22-2012 05:47 PM
Brushed ESC Jrgunn5150 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 8 01-17-2012 10:09 PM
Best brushed capable ESC? solomon7 Newbie General 17 08-15-2007 08:10 PM