Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Just ordered Trail Trekker, LiPos, and Rok-Lox

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 12:12 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Just ordered Trail Trekker, LiPos, and Rok-Lox

So, the girlfriend wanted to get me a gift for Christmas coming up and wasn't sure what to get me. She already knows that any holiday with a gift involved, my shopping can be summed up with more crawler goodies.

With Winter banging on Central Oregon's door, she also knew that I was looking for more micro stuff to keep me busy through the snow. We recently picked up a Micro SCT to run around, but it's a little quicker than my single car garage can handle. I had been talking about building another crawler (MRC), and I'm in the middle of my MRC FOFF build as we speak. I don't need another MRC though, I can't build the course of my dreams in my garage for the larger scale rigs. So, she told me to pick my own gift!

Long story short, I'm gonna use the Trail Trekker to build a copy of DogBreath's micro (McRC is MIA...). Way I see it, I just don't need to buy wideners this way...

I just ordered the Trail Trekker, 3 Zippy Flightmax 350s, and two pairs of RC4WD Rok-Lox.

Still to order- Dogbreath body, DP Torsion chassis, BWD wheel weight kit #1, Deans Micros, a servo with more guts, Mini T ball cups (x2 so I can go BTA), and shrink tube for the ESC.

I just bought 1/8" aluminum tube today so I can build shorter links (DP chassis is built for the Micro Crawler wheelbase), and the links for my BTA. This is hopefully gonna be ANOTHER documented build for the Micros. I have a feeling I'll forget and have it done and you guys will end up with a bunch of completed pictures. None of it happens till the big guy slides down the chimney.

BTW, I also plan on ordering 3 of the Sumos to mod after the holidays are over. I have a plan for each, and I can't wait!

In the next couple days, while I have the girlfriend's card, can ya'll point me in the direction of becoming a supporting member?
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2012, 01:04 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Just ordered Trail Trekker, LiPos, and Rok-Lox

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
Still to order- Dogbreath body,
good luck finding one man! Hes gone RIP DBR
Mastah Kyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:35 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

The DP torsion chassis has delrin links that act as a suspension replacing the shocks. Lengthening them would mean you would have to cut them off and convert it to a stock style chassis, there is a longer version for the trekker but I dont know if the DP torsion chassis is the best start for a micro FOFF. it was designed for slow crawling, others might have better input on that
Good luck with the build!
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Don't forget a predator motor!

There are still bug and bronco like bodies available on eBay and the toyz. It was truly sad that Dogbreath passed on.
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 08:41 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANALLY View Post
Don't forget a predator motor!

There are still bug and bronco like bodies available on eBay and the toyz. It was truly sad that Dogbreath passed on.
predator motor is a must!!!
smuggl1n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastah Kyler View Post
good luck finding one man! Hes gone RIP DBR

Are you serious? They're listed on the site, but I had no idea. Didn't mean any disrespect, just once again a day late and a dollar short I guess.

I just saw another bug body for sale at thetoyz.com. I guess I'll have to buy one of theirs. Oh, here it is-Losi Micro-Rock-Crawler parts at the thetoyz.com - All your Losi Micro-Rock-Crawler parts in one superstore! Never heard of Keen Racing before, but I'll try their body...
Old 11-03-2012, 09:41 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoo76 View Post
The DP torsion chassis has delrin links that act as a suspension replacing the shocks. Lengthening them would mean you would have to cut them off and convert it to a stock style chassis, there is a longer version for the trekker but I dont know if the DP torsion chassis is the best start for a micro FOFF. it was designed for slow crawling, others might have better input on that
Good luck with the build!
You got the wrong idea man. I'm building my FOFF rig out of an 1/18th MRC, not the micro, and sure as hell not out of a torsion chassis. I'm also not extending it. I'm buying a Trail Trekker, which I will shorten down to Micro Crawler length so I can use the DP Comp chassis. The only reason I'm buying a Trail Trekker is because the Micro Rock Crawler is gone forever. This is the rig I am copying-NEW Chassis for Micro Crawler

I have always been more into the comp side of crawling, and not so much of the scale stuff. Not to say I'm not capable of building a scaler, just not my thing. I actually am waiting to use a Sumo Crawler for the start of my very first scaler. After the holidays I'll have money again.

My MRC 1.9 Comp Rig-

My MRC FOFF Build in progress-

Last edited by 89redranger; 11-03-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:17 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

wtf.. I got nearly everything backwards when i read that

however I dont know where its listed but there IS a torsion chassis for the trekker. and im still not sure what you mean about shortening the links on a torsion chassis. solid links would get rid of the torsion links, unless you plan on shorter lower links and stock length top?

Last edited by spoo76; 11-03-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:22 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Driven-Productions DRIVEN-PRODUCTIONS parts at the thetoyz.com - All your Driven-Productions DRIVEN-PRODUCTIONS parts in one superstore!
Old 11-04-2012, 09:30 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Shorter lowers. If the links between the Trail Trekker and McRC are the same I won't have to build the links at all. I couldn't find anything stating the length of the stock links, so I bought material to build some. I don't know how keep getting the idea that I'm gonna modify the chassis. I am using a Trail Trekker to build a Micro Crawler basically. The wheelbase on the Trail Trekker is longer. I have to shorten the wheelbase to match the chassis. Yes, I know they make a torsion chassis FOR the Trail Trekker. It has frame rails and a longer wheelbase. Not what I want. The DP torsion chassis for the Trail Trekker would make the wheelbase longer than I want. It's getting a bug body and set up as a "comp rig." Just to make things simple, forget I said I'm using a Trail Trekker, and just figure I'm building links for BTA steering and cause they look purdy!

Last edited by 89redranger; 11-04-2012 at 09:38 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:36 AM   #11
RCC Addict

BTW, Batteries and stuff are on their way. Looks like I'm gonna have to call Horizon though. I ordered the Trail Trekker direct from Horizon (free shipping), and it still says pending, even though the money has been taken from our account. It's like the money went through, then the order got lost. It should've left their warehouse 3 damn days ago. Our account is clear and everything, so I don't get it...
Old 11-04-2012, 10:26 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Shorter lowers. If the links between the Trail Trekker and McRC are the same I won't have to build the links at all. I couldn't find anything stating the length of the stock links, so I bought material to build some. I don't know how keep getting the idea that I'm gonna modify the chassis. I am using a Trail Trekker to build a Micro Crawler basically. The wheelbase on the Trail Trekker is longer. I have to shorten the wheelbase to match the chassis. Yes, I know they make a torsion chassis FOR the Trail Trekker. It has frame rails and a longer wheelbase. Not what I want. The DP torsion chassis for the Trail Trekker would make the wheelbase longer than I want. It's getting a bug body and set up as a "comp rig." Just to make things simple, forget I said I'm using a Trail Trekker, and just figure I'm building links for BTA steering and cause they look purdy!
Yes the trekker links are longer,as well as the drive shafts. the track width is wider with the thicker hexes and longer axle stubs of course. Might not look scale with the bug body, but its a comp style crawler anyway. Id be curious to see how it looks on a trekker, the extra length and width would definitely help crawling, but might hurt with some tight turns.
Are you keeping the width the same?
I'm curious to see this one, I haven't seen a torsion build in a while.
And even though its been said many times here. DEFINITELY get the predator motor eventually. more power/torque, cooler temps,longer run times. Its one of those mods you might not even notice you need until its done and you see the performance difference
Old 11-05-2012, 01:38 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Yes the trekker links are longer,as well as the drive shafts. the track width is wider with the thicker hexes and longer axle stubs of course. Might not look scale with the bug body, but its a comp style crawler anyway. Id be curious to see how it looks on a trekker, the extra length and width would definitely help crawling, but might hurt with some tight turns.
Are you keeping the width the same?
I'm curious to see this one, I haven't seen a torsion build in a while.
And even though its been said many times here. DEFINITELY get the predator motor eventually. more power/torque, cooler temps,longer run times. Its one of those mods you might not even notice you need until its done and you see the performance difference
I'm curious where you guys are finding the options for motors? You talked about the Predator, and I can't find it. Anything brushless out there that's any good? I know when I build build my Micro FOFF (typical Redcat axles, Losi trans) after the holidays I thought about giving the factory brushless out of my Micro SCT a try, but figure it'll probably tear stuff up. It's 8750KV, the board can handle 3s, and will also power a 3 wire servo, though equipped with a 5-wire stock. Some owners of the Micro SCT have been able to push the 10500KV version of this system to over 40MPH!
Old 11-05-2012, 02:19 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

you might not be able to find them because they are made and sold here and only here by danally http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vendo...ro-motors.html
Mastah Kyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:57 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Odd, wasn't there a link in Danally's sig before?
Old 11-05-2012, 08:47 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Odd, wasn't there a link in Danally's sig before?
Maybe, but he's too busy trying to sell a parachute I expect has seen better days now...

Last edited by 89redranger; 11-05-2012 at 08:50 AM.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:15 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Maybe, but he's too busy trying to sell a parachute I expect has seen better days now...
Lol
Old 11-05-2012, 05:21 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Thought you guys might like that.

Got ahold of Horizon today. Truck is FINALLY on it's way here. Batteries should be here from HobbKing tomorrow or the next day.

Looks like I'm gonna have to wait a week before the bank account refreshes (payday), but I'm gonna order the rest of my stuff soon.

On a lighter note, I've started building my Micro course, which is 90% soft foam sheets. I had piles of this stuff laying around, so I may as well use it. Most use hard foam/spray foam for their courses, so I'm not sure how it'll turn out. Thought about covering it with Stucco or sanded grout mix, but I'm not sure. I've been looking for some kind of fake rock coating for soft foam, but haven't had any luck yet. If this doesn't work I'm gonna build a table 8" deep, fill it with good clay dirt, and start packing it with rocks. Setting them part-way in the dirt ought to make it pretty damn real!

Anybody got links, pics, or pages of Micro courses? I need to steal me some ideas.

Bad thing is, the truck isn't even here yet, and I gotta wait till after Christmas to even put the truck together to drive it.
Old 11-06-2012, 01:14 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Just ordered my Mini T ball ends (LOSB1049), a Micro T slipper set (LOSB1512), the billet Micro T slipper set (MCT1506), a 59T HR billet spur, my wheel weights, and the wheel weight hardware kit with the last few bucks we have of Christmas money. Should be here soon. Glad we have all our other shopping done, too bad Christmas is still over a month away...
Old 11-06-2012, 10:30 PM   #20
RCC Addict

All the shapes cut, glues, smoothed, and taking the first layer of grout. As I don't get my Micro till Christmas I used my Micro SCT for mockup pics.

Remember, these are only the first skim coats of grout. Lots of work to do here!

Just ordered Trail Trekker, LiPos, and Rok-Lox - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just ordered**New** 1/24 Trail Trekker Grumpster1980 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 6 04-21-2011 09:28 PM