Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: NEW Chassis for Micro Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default NEW Chassis for Micro Crawler

all I can say at this point is no more shocks or springs to mess with!

Can you say TORSION chassis?

Posted review below

Last edited by Dogbreath; 03-22-2010 at 10:41 PM.
Dogbreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-22-2010, 09:22 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Can't wait Dog
orangeplug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 09:47 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Oh Cmon man... you have to give more info than that lol
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:05 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Must have pics.......MUST HAVE PICS!!!!
BLOODBANE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:29 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

So I got home from work this afternoon to find a package at the door from my good friend Javier from Driven Productions.

A new DP Torsion Chassis for the Losi Micro Rock Crawler for me to review for all of you.

One of the biggest problems with the Losi Micro Rock Crawler has been the shocks and springs. In stock form the truck sits too high and the springs are too stiff. Many have tried various methods to fix this problem.....but hand it to DP to come up with a solution that not only fixes the problem but ELIMINATES it completely!

Now this is the most unusual chassis for the micro crawler...it doesn't look like anything else out there. Perhaps the most outstanding feature of the chassis is the torsion bars extending from the chassis plate. These, as you will see in a little bit, will totally eliminate the need for shocks and springs on your crawler.
I know you are pretty skeptical at this point but hang in there and you will be very surprised at the finished product and the performance!

The kit comes with everything you need, two Delrin chassis plates and four screws to attach the torsion arms to the front and rear mounts.....simple.

This chassis/conversion kit is designed for use with the stock crawler and uses all the stock parts minus the shocks, springs, and upper arms.
Its designed to use the stock plastic mount for the battery, receiver and use the stock body.
You two lengths of 2.5 bolts, the shorter one lets you snug the bolts down with out pushing into the servo (less suspension articulation).
The longer bolts are so you can leave the bolts 1/8th of an inch from being tighten down all the way. What that does is gives the chassis more articulation since the arms can slide back and forth over the bolt with it backed off from sitting flush.

The chassis is designed to mount with the DP logo facing outward on both side plates.
(good for advertising but also necessary for the holes to align up correctly)
When bolting the chassis down get all the bolts started then tighten them down evenly.

That being said and done I dove right in and had the crawler converted in about 15 minutes....very easy. However for my review I did make a couple of changes simply because of the way I prefer to run things.

Change #1 I run my battery on the rear deck.....so no stock battery holder used.
Change #2 I run a de-cased ESC so no case or stock ESC tray used.
I did cut two cross braces to replace the stock parts, drilled and taped them and installed, the ESC is servo taped in place on a small styrene plate on top of the braces....these changes do not change the way the kit performs in any way except to change the weight bias and lowers the COG of the crawler.

The chassis installed, with Lipo battery, Urethane resin tires, and wheel weights.

Close up of the new suspension....no more shocks, springs, or upper arms...very clean and simple.

With the body installed...very clean and simple look.

But does it work!?!?

The articulation is adjustable (as stated above), I set this one to the loose setting (more articulation) and it is better than the stock suspension set up with stock shocks and springs. The action is smoother and the DP chassis does articulate farther than stock chassis

The first thing you notice is that the DP Torsion chassis sits lower than the stock chassis and this lowers the COG (center of gravity). This allows the truck to tackle steeper hills and more radical obstacles with reduced roll overs. The new chassis reacts to the terrain in a very predictable fashion, however it is different from a chassis with shocks and springs (see my notes at the end for handling tips).

I did two battery packs through this new chassis tonight on my Abusement Park Course....one 7.4v pack and one 3.7v pack, to compare the differences in the performance at the different voltages.

7.4v 2S Lipo pack performance was very good, the DP Torsion Chassis really surprised me with it's ability to handle the track (my track is known for it's steep climbs, narrow ledges, off-camber rock passes, and other difficult obstacles) The new chassis made the complete circuit....this is no easy feat and is something a stock crawler has not been able to complete.

3.7v 1S Lipo pack performance is even better, slow this baby down and let the chassis do the work! This thing is even better at low speeds where the chassis has more time to react to the terrain.

I am very impressed And if a great looking chassis that works isn't enough then add the fact that this chassis is the CHEAPEST aftermarket Hop-Up chassis on the market at a suggested retail of only $15.00!!!!

This is a great way for a guy to step up from the stock chassis/suspension to a new level of performance at an affordable price.
The Dog has to give this his two paws up!

Video coming soon!

NOTES:

Lower the COG as much as possible, de-case the ESC, move the battery to the rear deck.

Add wheel weights, I have found a front weight of 38-50g and a rear weight of 25-35g works wonders for making the suspension work better and smoother and adds tons of traction.

Store you truck on a stand so that the arms are flexed down, continuous weight on the arms may cause the to permanently bow upwards.

The Torsion bars replace the upper arms, since the torsion bars are farther inboard there is no more tire rub at full turn!

Last edited by Dogbreath; 03-22-2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:35 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

ok, now i need another micro crawler just to try this out lol
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:47 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

That's pretty slick.

Anxious to hear how it holds up after some serious drive time.
CreepyCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:37 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

I buy 2
you forgot to add your website in the description

ps you should make some black
sonat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:09 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonat View Post
ps you should make some black
X2
Lorents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:05 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Would it be possible to make it so the torsion bars could be replaced and in different lengths and thicknes maybe even in other materials ?
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:39 AM   #11

Looks promising -_- gonna wait for a video but I might just be buying a third MRC. Can never have too many lol one for each good chassis design.

Last edited by surfanor; 03-23-2010 at 09:42 AM.
surfanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 10:47 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Slick looking chassis, will it be offered in black? May pick one up for the wife's rig, she is still on stock chassis, but would have to be black or she will publicly flog me.
DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 02:07 PM   #13

this chassies got me interested. nice writeup
akaphilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:19 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Release date? I want one!
D-ran83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:56 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

ok this looks nice and ship upgrade, where can i get this?
k20man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:12 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Wow....lots of questions....

The chassis should be priced at about the $15.00 range (very affordable)

I do not make these but am strictly a tester, but I do believe they will be available in black. I don't know if they will be offered with different lengths on the torsion arms. They should be available later this week at TheToyz.com
I heard that the shipment went out on Monday and it will take a few days to get there then be listed.

Did I miss anything?
Old 03-23-2010, 05:28 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Have you made a video yet?
NU2KRAWLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 05:37 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

So which do you like better? The Raptor or this one?
Shaggy5050 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:19 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Have you made a video yet?
Video is uploading now

Quote:
So which do you like better? The Raptor or this one?
I have both chassis....but it is like comparing apples to oranges....it will all boil down to the drivers style, budget, and what you want the chassis to do for YOU!
This chassis is cheaper and eliminates all the shock and upper arm problems....but does it perform better? That is for YOU to decide.....I will have the video up shortly.....the good thing is that trying this chassis out won't break the bank at $15.00
Old 03-23-2010, 07:46 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

DP Torsion Chassis Video

You be the Judge.....