Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Micro Truck Trial mog build, input expected...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2013, 10:32 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Micro Truck Trial mog build, input expected...

Alright guys, taking a break from some other builds and projects I have going right now and switching gears a little.

Over the last few years I've developed an interest in the European trials rigs and how they replicate them in smaller scales. Coupled with a fascination for 1/87th table top trials rigs, I wanted something in the middle.

The Losi worm axles, a Sumo trans, Losi electronics, and a Mog cab ought to be a good start. Here are a few pics of the more popular German Trials rigs. Note the drive train layout and overall simplistic nature.

This rig is the Taigawolf 442 (listed as 1:14.5 scale), which is a popular German class S2 trials legal kit. Outrunner brushless, gearhead, a trans VERY similar to the Sumo's in looks, rigid mounted front axle, rocker rear suspension with a transverse leaf to control sway. Basically, a grown-up TTTT rig.

Sent from my SCH-I535
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2013, 10:44 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Basically, the Sumo trans will be hung from the top screw holes, with the motor under the bed as in the Taigawolf, motor facing forward with battery and esc above the servo. The only things under the truck will be the bottom of the trans and the driveshafts. HUGE clearance!

Sent from my SCH-I535
Old 11-05-2013, 02:45 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Thinking a modded version of the pass through axle mod will serve as the pivot point. There will be bearings mounted in the chassis, and the extended worm will pass through them acting as the pivot point. The same company offering the Taigawolf also offers an 8x8 and 6x6 configuration. Their setups also seems to be based around the driveshaft and rear axle rotating on the same axis and sharing bearings. They use modded TLT axles with two front case halves leaving a pinion poking out both side of the axle. On 4x4 models this serves as the pivot on the rear half. On the 6x6 and 8x8 this shaft transfers power to the next axle. It is also the rear pivot of the front axle and the front pivot of the rear axle.

Sent from my SCH-I535
Old 11-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Default Re: Micro Truck Trial mog build, input expected...

I need to see pics to better understand. I think I got it but it sure would help. The extended pinion...how do you plan that?
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Dan, I've tried to find pics of their setup but can only get a good look in their vids. Search Youtube for "Taigawolf 442." I'd post a link or two here but my phone won't let me. I'll get pics of what I have going on up here in a day or two.

Sent from my SCH-I535
Old 11-05-2013, 03:20 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

ill help ya out bud

Modell Truck Trial Taigawolf 442 Werksteam - YouTube
Slambaam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:15 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Not much travel on them...I expected more. I think the way that chevy and Ryan have done will work amazingly well. I am looking more and more at doing one. I think I may do a 6wd instead.
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 05:45 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Slambaam- thanks man! Using my phone all the time sucks.

DANALLY- no, they don't have a lot of travel. Just enough to tame gnarly spots. Just like the real deal, these rigs do lift tires occasionally. These trucks are all about the slow technical stuff, which they do very well.

In the next few days I'll pick up sone brass stock and stuff for the drive shaft/pivot assembly. Details soon.

Sent from my SCH-I535
Old 11-06-2013, 07:00 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

double transmissions like mads mog.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:20 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANALLY View Post
Not much travel on them...I expected more. I think the way that chevy and Ryan have done will work amazingly well. I am looking more and more at doing one. I think I may do a 6wd instead.

hopefully soon ill be joining the multi axle club as well!
Old 11-06-2013, 09:19 AM   #11
RCC Addict

The Sumo trans with a 645mg servo motor and Losi axles ought to be plenty of power. The trials stuff is all about slow technical driving. Depending on how this rig works I may or may not try a 6x6 soon myself.

Sent from my SCH-I535
Old 11-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Found a few more pics of the same Taigawolf chassis with a newer Mog body on it. Note the aluminum C-channel chassis construction.

For my rig I believe I will use a single piece of C-channel with the open face pointing down. It'll give me the open cavity I need under the truck to hang the transmission from the top, I can fit my battery above the driveshaft in that cavity with velcro, and the RX/ESC can go on top of the chassis in the cab. Other than the ESC/RX, the only things above the top of the chassis will be the body and bed, which will be minimal.

Sent from my SCH-I535

Micro Truck Trial mog build, input expected... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My daughter's trial truck build- Maxstone 16/Little tikes cabover 89redranger Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 9 11-20-2013 09:25 AM
Woodenshoe's Trial Truck/ i dont know what to do yet build woodenshoe Axial SCX-10 14 06-25-2013 03:28 PM
Truck and Truck Trial / Competition RC /KAMAZ STAR FORD URAL ZIŁ PRAGA MAN KRAZ Rasalo Scale Videos! 3 09-17-2012 07:28 AM
"Euro Trial Truck" Re-build JpSonoma 1.9 Scale Rigs 45 08-01-2012 05:34 PM