Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Dual motor revisit...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014, 08:05 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Dual motor revisit...

I accidentally bought a bunch of the wrong motors a long time ago. I thought of a possible way to use some of them.

I think the turns on these motors are at least 53 turns, maybe less. Connecting two of them in parallel would be double the current load on the ESC. However connecting them in series is essentially 106 turns. I made up a plate to test the theory. It actually works! I'm using lipo, but it wouldn't work well with NiMH. I intend to measure the RPM of stock and this configuration just to get some comparison.

I have posted before that series connected motors is a bad idea, but in this case it works because the load on the two motors is mechanically shared. However if either pinion were to fail all of the voltage would go to that motor, and the rig would not move.

Fungi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2014, 08:18 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Dual motor revisit...

Nice idea! And really nice plate!

I still have my prototype plates!

I tried this a long time ago but I came up with the fact that the two motor deal is still not as good as one good motor. The two motors also takes so much more room!

My favorite idea for the dual motor was using 2 different turn motors! I liked to run an Atomic BB 34 turn motor for super speedy punch and then a 100 turn motor for crawling. I ran them on a manual toggle switch mounted on the chassis so only one motor could run at a time and the dead motor had no where to back feed power. It made the rig fun in two environments and it was really nice to have a rig that could do it all! Additionally it worked fine on the stock esc as long as you used the Atomic motor sparingly.

Just my thoughts...but I love your idea! Especially to use up the cheap motors
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:58 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Just thinking out loud, but could it be possible to hook the motors to a remote switch on a third channel instead of a manual toggle, essentially giving you two speeds on the fly? It makes me wonder about the possibility of a micro twin hammers! Like I said just thinking out loud.
R.Billy Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 12:34 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

That could be done easy enough i would think. It would be almost like a moa dig switch controlled by a servo. The only part that would be difficult is finding a place to mount it all

Last edited by Jcplante; 02-12-2014 at 09:47 AM.
Jcplante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 07:54 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Yes it is easy as long as you go get a separate esc, 3 channel radio and receiver, a small servo with small aux switches, and find a place to mount it all! I have done this same thing to make a dig unit. It is only difficult because of all the electronics and no room! If you had a nice big rig it would work awesome!
Old 02-12-2014, 09:47 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I was thinking of running both off the same esc. I would think with a 3 pole switch you could run one motor at a time without back feeding power from the unpowered motor. Maybe? Now im confusing myself. Maybe i should stick with the mechanical parts and just build a 2 speed transfer case lol
Old 02-12-2014, 11:39 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

You just need the proper diodes wired in for no back feed. I use to do custom led lights on 1:1 vehicles and make them work as running and brake/turn signal lights. The diode will let power go in one direction but not back the other way.

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2
kevinhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:47 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Thats good to know. Thanks
Old 02-12-2014, 01:05 PM   #9
RCC Addict

If you use a 3 position switch then the motor not being used is not connected to anything so nothing is needed. I did one with a manual switch and it was actually pretty fun. If I couldn't crawl a section I flipped the switch and blasted up. It worked rather well...I just tore it apart for another build
Old 02-12-2014, 02:25 PM   #10
I joined the Band!

wow see what i miss when im not around and sick....
RootBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:34 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DANALLY View Post
If you use a 3 position switch then the motor not being used is not connected to anything so nothing is needed. I did one with a manual switch and it was actually pretty fun. If I couldn't crawl a section I flipped the switch and blasted up. It worked rather well...I just tore it apart for another build
So from that point its just a matter of an actuator for that switch controlled by the 3rd channel. A sub micro servo or maybe even a solenoid or plunger or something. It possible. Im gonna be building a revell model military style hummer that has plenty of space for something like this.........

Dual motor revisit... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mancaves g2 revisit TheManCave 1.5 Scale Rigs 6 01-02-2014 04:53 PM
Dual Motor ESC - Single Motor rockpanda Electronics 5 10-10-2012 02:22 PM
Airtronics M11 Settings for Dual Motor Dual Servo Crawlers John Hallman Electronics 7 10-07-2010 11:34 PM
Dual 3s Lipo/Dual Sidwinders/Dual 4400KV Inrunners Setup Help Needed. TheHeadHunter Electronics 16 08-17-2008 05:21 AM