Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: My New Micro comp Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2016, 01:53 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default My New Micro comp Build

I Been a fan of crawling for many years and i always seem to gravitate towards micros i did a build a few years back with a. R7r eclipse chassis bent links a few upgrade parts and wound up selling it and still regret doing it. that was before the trekker came out so the only option was the micro crawler parts and rims were hard to find (their even harder now) and you had to get on a waiting lists to get a hand wound motor the miclaws were always out of stock well since then i never losts the interest in micros especially crawlers i wanted to do a new build and i recently found out they were discontinued so i ran out to my lhs and grabbed their last trail trekker the guy even said their not getting anymore in. No matter how old i get rc keeps me out of trouble.. And is relaxing to my mind since purchasing the trekker i been picking up all types of spare parts a dozen packs of mini t steering end cups trekker ball studs drivelines numerous spare parts 2mm anodized. Wheel and trans slipper nuts And today a bunch of 2/56 threaded rod and 1/8th hollow aluminum tube. Today my first parts order came in and i picked up 4 HR aluminum servo mounts to get my 4ws started i should be recieving my DDT 90T AND 100T motors with 10t pinions attached this will be a long a tedious build as my personality always isnt content and i constanly tinker and try to find the purfect setup thinks the same problem over and over in my mind until a solution is reached
Future mods include:
Hr aluminum gear
Hr aluminum gear case
Hr aluminum skid plate
Hr aluminum slipper
Aluminum nut on slipper
Hr aluminum gear cover (MAYBE!)
Carbon fiber fishing drag washer to replace slipper clutch clear plastic one.
Hr Aluminum steering links front and back
Rc4wd beadlocks
Brass wheel widener weights
Mini t links
Bent lower links (Bent at the cup not in center of link)
Miclaw tires if i ever can finds them..
Rc4wd dirt grabber 1.0 tires on a comp rig give a diffrent look (dont think they will grab well)
Crawler x tmc topless chassis
Two hitec hs65mg servos or savox sh-0257mg
Aluminum servo arms
Micro motor fan
Home made shocks. (hr ones are like finding noahs ark)

Here is a few pictures of my truck so far and also my spare parts i will post pictures as i progress thru the build and each mod/upgrade i do Thanks.[URL=http://s1110.photobucket.com/user/fatboy109/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20160323_152710.jpg.html][/URL

A Few spare parts to start

Last edited by anthony; 03-24-2016 at 02:29 AM.
anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2016, 01:59 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: My New Micro comp Build

I don't see the pics. Did you use photobucket? I love micros, thus my name.

Last edited by StomperCrawler; 03-24-2016 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Removed hotlinked Tapatalk signature
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 02:33 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Got my first parts order in today and already got a few ideas shooting around...
Im gonna have to shim the trekker ballstud so it dont bottom out on the servo maybe you can see it in the picture
Old 03-24-2016, 03:09 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Sounds like some good ideas except for HR shocks, those things are way too stiff. I have just about every part on mine that you listed...checkout the most recent entry in the micro archive... I also removed the blue dye from the steering links to match everything else. How you bought so many battery/servo mounts?

You going with the 55T gear? Make sure to get a brass pinion or you will eat your plastic one up pretty quick...
cleanandserenesteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:01 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanandserenesteve View Post
Sounds like some good ideas except for HR shocks, those things are way too stiff. I have just about every part on mine that you listed...checkout the most recent entry in the micro archive... I also removed the blue dye from the steering links to match everything else. How you bought so many battery/servo mounts?

You going with the 55T gear? Make sure to get a brass pinion or you will eat your plastic one up pretty quick...
Thanks for the feedback i might just forget the whole hr shock idea and go with micro t rears in aluminum and switch out the shock piston with a trekker piston for extra lenght? I think im gonna remove the anodize but my problem is i dont have a small enough dremel polishing bit. Haha i bought 4 so i had enough to do two rigs or have a few spares if i dont do two rigs. I havnt really decided on the gearing i want to try both DDT Predator 100t and the 90t motors with a 10 tooth brass pinion gearing will be next i want to have a slow powerful rig that i can occasionally get alittle wheelspeed as well basically a good balance so i might start at a 55t hardened aluminum spur my concern is the plastic gears inside the trans box! The chassis i definitly want to get from blade the ridgeback i read alot of mixed opinions on it some love it others didnt the tmc topless chassis seemed more shock friendly i most likely will just use the pieces to trace onto sheet aluminum and try cutting a fully aluminum chassis and use the original delarin chassis for another build that will likely be just a roller that will sit on top of my hobby desk.
Old 03-24-2016, 10:18 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Good thinking on the shocks. You don't need a dremel at all. Just some easy off spray and some Mother aluminum polish. Took me about 20 mins total to do both steering links (front and rear 4ws) and bring them to the same finish as the rest of my hot racing parts. They look great...What kind of rims are you thinking?
Old 03-25-2016, 12:01 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Good thinking on the shocks. You don't need a dremel at all. Just some easy off spray and some Mother aluminum polish. Took me about 20 mins total to do both steering links (front and rear 4ws) and bring them to the same finish as the rest of my hot racing parts. They look great...What kind of rims are you thinking?
Ok cool im gonna easy off that blue anodizing tonight. And ideally i wanted a set of bwd rims that you put the .17hmr leaded shells in they stopped making them so i most likely will go with the Rc4wd micro beadlocks and maybe have the beadlock rings powder coated.
Old 03-25-2016, 11:52 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Yeah, the beadlocks are very nice. I have two sets, the Gearhead 8trax with RoCk Lox tires, with no foam in tires, and Gearhead M-12 with Baja claws and foam in tires. Love both sets...

BTW the battery mount that attaches to the servo mounts must be turned upside down so it doesn't hit the Trekker frame... Even upside down it still barely touches when the shocks are pressed down all the way.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:42 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

I didnt know about the Gearheads rims those are a good non beadlock aluminum option. I checked the trekker clearance and your right the top plate make mounting the aluminum servo impossible with the trekker chassis so im probably gonna mount them without the top plate and once i get my new chassis i can play around with leaving them on or off.
I got that neon blue anodizing off and polished up two servo mounts.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:45 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Quote:
nice, looks so much better! Should have been like that to begin with...
Thanks your right polished billet is the wayvi like it with these small rc cars..
Old 03-25-2016, 10:52 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Polished both hot racing 1/24th aluminum servo mounts last night and tonight i got front and back servo mounts installed i will remove the top plates until i switch to a new chassis and then i might remove the two tabs that stick up i dont know yet? In the first picture i separated each servo wire so i could twist them together. This stopped the wires from binding on the chassis and seems to be more flexible servo wires Anyways heres a few more pictures of the prgress so far.....

Here is the rear of the truck for now

Last edited by anthony; 03-25-2016 at 10:58 PM. Reason: forgot information
Old 03-30-2016, 03:54 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Got a package in the mail today...
Thank you Danally. Believe it or not i been wanting a hand wound motor all the way back. Since 2011 so this really is extra cool.

I know everybodys says these motors run cooler than stock but i think im gonna pick up a motor heatsink anyway maybe like the e-flight sp tailmotor heatsink or i think a N60 heatsink will work im not sure i will figure it out one way to or another anybody know of any motor heatsinks that fit these motors?

Last edited by anthony; 03-30-2016 at 03:59 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-03-2016, 07:07 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

I found a heatsink today for these motors... Its not an exact fit but pretty close im gonna see the best way to attach it to the micro motor right now the arms i think will hit the motor armatures because of the two slots on each side of the motor i will try a few diffrent things and get a solid way to mount the heatsink

In this picture you can see the two "arms" of the heatsink are directly inline with the slots that are on the sides of the motor i think this might be a problem and might catch the armature as it starts to spin... Also their not alot of contact area between the motor and heatsink. So im not sure how well it will work?

Last edited by anthony; 04-03-2016 at 07:29 PM. Reason: picture didnt upload
Old 04-04-2016, 05:57 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

I got a package in the mail today a few spare parts....

Also got the really hard to find original Losi aluminum hop ups for the micro crawler...
Old 04-08-2016, 02:31 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I remember wondering if I should bid on that very set lol glad you got it

Thanks i been looking for parts and this came along so i had to grab it... Im still missing alot of parts i wanted to start this build with the "Heart" or the motor and work my way out im kinda at a stand still until i get my next parts order in... Too bad losi didnt make an aluminum steering link to match the rest of their gunmetal anodizing parts??
Old 04-08-2016, 02:39 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

They sure didn't, as you saw on mine I just removed the anodizing and polished it to match my Hot Racing aluminum parts..looks excellent IMO... I'm bummed about the driveshafts, they look so darn good, but are a good 5mm too short to safely work without falling out and/or binding...
Old 04-09-2016, 09:54 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
They sure didn't, as you saw on mine I just removed the anodizing and polished it to match my Hot Racing aluminum parts..looks excellent IMO... I'm bummed about the driveshafts, they look so darn good, but are a good 5mm too short to safely work without falling out and/or binding...
Yes and you also didnt do 4ws? Why? And i thought most of the comp chassis work best with a 5 inch wheelbase?
Old 04-09-2016, 10:12 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

I did do 4ws. I used a hs65mg on front and back... really improved the steering radius and vehicle capabilities...
Old 04-10-2016, 11:23 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
I did do 4ws. I used a hs65mg on front and back... really improved the steering radius and vehicle capabilities...

Ahhhh i didnt see that in the pictures.. Do you have the steering servos setup on diffrent channels or are they constant?
Old 04-10-2016, 02:54 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

Going thru the front axel now regreaseing it and adding aluminum parts... The front axel before....

And here's the front axel after it been gonr thru and all parts aluminum parts added i dont have the HR aluminum steering link yet so that is the only other part i will change out..

My New Micro comp Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jeep scaler build and comp micro crawler build droopmodmrc Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 1 12-25-2012 12:34 PM
Any one used micro t tranny/motor plate for a micro moa build? MattMead Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 7 09-17-2012 01:10 PM
The Pinch - Micro Comp Chassis build SVEN Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 113 04-17-2012 06:18 AM
My Micro crawler build - Crawlerx chassis - comp style Tuna Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 54 01-29-2012 11:07 AM