Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: My Tonka Jeep body Tuber build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2009, 11:45 AM   #21
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBcustoms View Post
Sweet, I have seen a few Tonka jeeps on the Bay, didnt know if anyone had done a build with one before. Here it is! Looks cool, like the cage and the fact that the body is metal, you said it was fairly easy to work with? Cutting, bending, brazing?
yup! it is sheet metal and cutting and brasing work well on it. someone else did one a while back called mooseknuckle. I never saw it finished. The metal idea for me was for fun. I want to paint it up and see how cool I can make it look with a little Arizona pin-striping (scratches for those that don't know the term) Plus, i read somewhere that chicks dig body damage!
DANALLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2009, 04:32 PM   #22
Rock Crawler

I like the Tonka idea. I have a larger one that I am going to make into a 2.2. I don't think that I will remove all of the paint since I am going for the decommissioned military look.

I think the longer wheel base looks the best. It will make it more stable as well.

Keep it up!

Can't wait to see how this one progresses.
Attached Images

cruiserkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:26 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Default more pics

I decided to see what it would look like with the smaller 1.9 losi tires (on one side only). I shortened the wheel base to 8.5". Just ignore the other side tires please.

Is it better this way? Or should I go big?

Decisions suck!

Old 06-29-2009, 08:57 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

The FlatIrons are very capable,but I think the rig looks much better with smaller 1.9's. If you're going for a capable but scalish look,you might look into the RC4WD Mud Trashers
Name:  MudTrasherWeb1.jpg
Views: 1051
Size:  14.3 KB

http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/product_...roducts_id=538
fordmike65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:54 PM   #25

Subscribed cool build
bnjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 11:32 PM   #26
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordmike65 View Post
The FlatIrons are very capable,but I think the rig looks much better with smaller 1.9's. If you're going for a capable but scalish look,you might look into the RC4WD Mud Trashers
Attachment 105320

http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/product_...roducts_id=538
I like these and have been thinking of ordering them for this rig. My big decision is if I am going to do the smaller tires on a 8.5" wheel base or the larger tires on the 10" wheel base.

Which wheel base and tire size looks better?
Old 06-30-2009, 12:21 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Perssonally I like the 8.5wb & the smaller 1.9's. that's just me though. I like my rigs to look somewhat realistic,but also very capable. Whatever you decide,this is going to be nice
fordmike65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:50 PM   #28
Rock Crawler

I like the looks of the flat irons Looks good with the stock wheelbase.
goodoldlevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 12:54 PM   #29
Rock Stacker

knowing that you don't want the scale look. but that jeep is looking very that way. i think 1.9 would look great. thanks peace
drewmaloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 09:38 AM   #30
Rock Crawler

go big !!!!!!!!!
Old 07-12-2009, 01:19 PM   #31
RCC Addict

Default updates and pictures

I got a bit more done. The shocks and suspention are mounted. The frame is not fully welded yet and the rims are not done. I just bought one of those 35t hand would motors and a Sidewinder Micro. Hope those are what I am looking for. I still need to search the forum and find that article that someone did on drivelines and purchase the parts I need. It is sitting at 10" wheel base and 8" track width. The travel is nuts...may have to limit it.

The body drops right over.

And thats not all of the travel. With a little weight in the tires it goes farther.

Here is one more dilema...the wheels clear when turning but not when turning under full compression.

Should I cut this out? or just let it hit a little. I want to paint the body so the tires may rub off some paint. The other thing I can do is limit the front travel but to keep the clearance it will loose about 1/2 the wheel travel.

Here is a rig that I want to do next. It is also a Jeep Tonka metal body. I think I even like the cruddy green color with the rust. Maybe a tow rig? Just picture it with a cage, side runner bars, a winch, painted interior, and some Mudthrashers or even Mud slingers!

I have another one of these Jeeps that is identical to this but is in perfect shape (no scratches or rust) and brown with pin stripes.

Old 07-12-2009, 01:36 PM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Holy smokes.... Jeepster Commandos are one of my favorite rigs of all freakin' time.... I wanted one so bad when I was young! How cool is that
mmbackpacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:36 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

that looks bad a$$. good job
muddog27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 05:21 PM   #34

If it were me I would limit the up travel, can you get some wheel spacers and the the tires out a little more. Looking good
bnjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:02 PM   #35
Quarry Creeper

both will be awesome! cant wait to see finished products
fordwheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 08:16 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjeep View Post
If it were me I would limit the up travel, can you get some wheel spacers and the the tires out a little more. Looking good
I have the 3/4" spacers on each side now. I might try on the 2mm offset rims with the spacers and see what that gives me before I do any limiting or cutting. I agree though, limiting the travel would be better. I tried the claw's to see how smaller tires would help the clearance issue but it looked way out of proportion.

I already changed both the front & rear shock placements. Will post pictures soon.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:09 PM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Limit your Steering where they just kiss the Fenders.. Just keep the Trim to a Min.... From the flex pic above. You have tons of flex you can give up...

The Smaller Tires looks better IMO...
run2jeepn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:20 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

Limit the steering some and you should be golden.

I looked at getting a Jeepster Tonka but I like to build them a little larger. My Campbell MRC is somewhat to small for me to work with now.

Keep it up!
Old 07-12-2009, 10:31 PM   #39
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserkb View Post
Limit the steering some and you should be golden.

I looked at getting a Jeepster Tonka but I like to build them a little larger. My Campbell MRC is somewhat to small for me to work with now.

Keep it up!
I have built lots of bigger ones...clod, emaxx, tlt, etc. I think that the small ones offer a whole new challenge. Cramming all that stuff in such a small package and trying to make it look good. Especially a tuber. I have a Campell buggy too and it is my favorite so far. The things that little thing can do! It's stripped down right now so this one could be built. I gotta order another crawler for the parts! It never ends...
Old 07-12-2009, 10:33 PM   #40
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by run2jeepn View Post
Limit your Steering where they just kiss the Fenders.. Just keep the Trim to a Min.... From the flex pic above. You have tons of flex you can give up...

The Smaller Tires looks better IMO...
I will take some shots with this wheel base and the smaller tires. I really don't want to limit the steering. I will start with the travel and see where it leads me.