Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Overdrive mod question.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Overdrive mod question.

I have done the overdrive mod with the Traxxas #7079 pinion.
When I turn the wheels(drive shaft is not connected), it spins well except there is an area where it tighens up a bit.
Is this normal?
Will it bed in over time?

cheeers
philg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-2012, 12:25 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Overdrive mod question.

It will.

With that pinion, it is very important to make sure the mesh is tight and that there is no in/out play with the pinion or side to side play with the ring gear. The teeth on the traxxas gear are a different shape and will skip on the ring gear is they are not properly meshed. If they are not, use some shims to get them correctly placed.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:04 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
It will.

With that pinion, it is very important to make sure the mesh is tight and that there is no in/out play with the pinion or side to side play with the ring gear. The teeth on the traxxas gear are a different shape and will skip on the ring gear is they are not properly meshed. If they are not, use some shims to get them correctly placed.
Thanks for the info mate,just checked the tolerances and all looks good.
Old 11-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
RCC Addict

I had the same problem when I did mine. Turns out that when Losi cast the ring gear piece of the diff carrier, they didn't cast some of them completely true. Mine had a little wobble to it that cause inconsistent meshing. When I installed the Traxxas pinion it amplified the problem ten fold. I swapped my rear diff into the front, put the wobbly diff in the rear (where the tolerances are a little looser with a stock pinion), and it "fixed" the problem. Now there is a tight spot in the rear diff, but it's not near as extreme.

One of these days I'll pull a diff out of one of my parts rigs, but for now it doesn't really bother me. You can't hear it, see it, or even notice while driving it with the wobbly diff in the rear. The only time I notice it is when I'm turning the wheels by hand.

Recently I've added lengths of stainless tube inside my diffs and, if cut to the right lengths, you can use them to adjust the gear mesh. Need the mesh tighter? Make the opposite tube a hair longer so it pushes the diff inward. Do the opposite if it's too tight. Watch that BOTH tubes don't ride firmly against the diff. They should be smooth on the ends as well. If you don't watch these you'll end up with an axle with so much drag you won't need your drag-brake!
89redranger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post

Recently I've added lengths of stainless tube inside my diffs and, if cut to the right lengths, you can use them to adjust the gear mesh. Need the mesh tighter? Make the opposite tube a hair longer so it pushes the diff inward. Do the opposite if it's too tight. Watch that BOTH tubes don't ride firmly against the diff. They should be smooth on the ends as well. If you don't watch these you'll end up with an axle with so much drag you won't need your drag-brake!
The same can be accomplished by putting large shims on the back side of the ring gear (between the gear and the bearing). This will push the teeth toward the pinion gear.
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

All good advice guys,thanks.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:20 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyH View Post
The same can be accomplished by putting large shims on the back side of the ring gear (between the gear and the bearing). This will push the teeth toward the pinion gear.
Ive had mine set-up the same way for at least 2 seasons now with the stock and Traxxas pinions with great results.
ram_tough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

i shimmed my ring gear and and never had a single issue...one of the best mods you can do.
bigjay1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:19 PM   #9

we always just run em with a drill for couple minutes. breaks it in nice and smooth mesh
tunnalram is offline   Reply With Quote

Overdrive mod question. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
newbie need help parts list for overdrive mod on mrc pro hammer29 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 22 06-21-2015 02:20 PM
need some help overdrive mod geotracker7000 Missouri 1 04-14-2012 08:49 PM
Traxxas overdrive question mmatthews Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 30 11-14-2011 11:49 AM
overdrive question tim the toolman Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 17 07-09-2011 06:41 AM
Overdrive mod long term effects? scho52386 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 25 05-06-2011 07:48 AM