Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Good upgrade shocks?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2015, 09:15 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Good upgrade shocks?

I am interested in a set of upgraded shocks on my new build. I decided to post a new topic specifically for this to catch attention of people who may have some input on the matter, but don't give a hoot about my build. And therefore wouldn't see the question. So forgive me cluttering up the forum.

I have three choices in mind. Cheapest would of course be great, but I don't want a crap shock. I'm looking for smooth operation, and that they don't leak.

Option 1)

http://www.amazon.com/3Racing-MRC-01.../dp/B00C3YBSDO

Option 2)

Significantly more expensive, but better? I know the hr Merv shocks to be decent. They also come with a set of soft and a set of medium springs. I'll definitely need medium springs.

http://www.hot-racing.com/index.cgi?...MRC36801;c=444

Option 3)

The losi threaded shocks.

http://www.losi.com/Products/Feature...rodID=LOSB1439

The truck will be a 20-30mphish mini monster truck basher, and I'll start around 40wt oil in the shocks. It may crawl occasionally too.

Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 04-02-2015 at 09:29 AM.
mwe-maxxowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2015, 09:55 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Good upgrade shocks?

I've owned all 3 of those shocks and would say the Losi branded shocks are not only the smoothest, but the most trouble free, and easiest to get parts for. One recommendation though, find a set of the Losi Mini T rebuild cartridges as spares. For whatever reason, Losi used different o-rings in the cartridges in RTR crawlers and billet crawler shocks that leaked. The Mini T cartridges are cheap, and nice to have on hand if they do spring a leak. The HR shocks are pretty much a joke though. They puke oil, they don't feel smooth, and the caps strip out VERY easily. Problem is, there are no rebuild parts available for them. The 3Racing shocks are probably somewhere in the middle. They're kinda smooth, build alright, and hold oil ok. Same problem as HR though...no rebuild parts.
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 12:22 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Losi shocks it is! Thanks,I was probably going with hr if I hadn't asked. Do mini t springs fit?
Old 04-02-2015, 12:28 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Yep. Mini T springs should fit any that have threaded bodies for adjust-ability. Mini T springs are the same diameter as MRC springs, just shorter in length, and they come in 3 different rates. The front Mini T springs are the shortest and softest, the rears are a tad longer and have a tiny bit stiffer rates. Example- a soft Mini T front will be a tiny bit shorter and softer than a Mini T soft rear spring. This seems to hold true all the way through soft, medium, and firm rates. There is a chart floating around that lists the rates for Mini T springs. Not of use to most, but gives you some science behind them. I'll try to dig it up for ya.
Old 04-02-2015, 12:30 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Guess I had the rates backward. The rears are softer than the fronts. Either way, here are the numbers. I still think the fronts feel softer in-hand, but that may be an illusion of sorts due to their short length.

Last edited by 89redranger; 04-02-2015 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:24 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Awesome, thank you. I've found this to be an excellent forum, you guys are all sorts of good help. I don't believe there are many different spring rates available for the mrc specifically, unless I just haven't looked in the correct places.

I will no doubt need stiffer springs than the stockers.

I wonder if I could order two complete sets of the mini t springs that I decide to go with, snip some off four of them, then couple snipped springs with full springs to make a full length spring. Sort of like dual-rate springs that are used sometimes, but both will be the same rate.

And the rears are for sure the longest?
Old 04-02-2015, 03:17 PM   #7
RCC Addict

20-30 mph monster truck.......

I'm not convinced any mini shocks are going to hold up for you.

Not so much the shock, but the puny 2mm ends on the shock shaft. They're whimpy.

Have you considered SCX10 shocks?

They are very long compared to mini shocks; but you are custom building a monster truck, so that should really be no issue.

You could simply scab some pieces on top of the current chassis, using existing bolt holes; then drill some new holes up higher.

The SCX shocks are way bigger and beefier and could likely stand up to the abuse you're talking about.

Also, mini-t springs fit them just fine, your stock MRC springs would possibly be what you need and you own them already.

If not, the SCX shocks are already setup dual rate in stock form.
MRCrackhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 04:00 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Will they bolt on at the axle with minimal fuss?

I'm imagining I could shorten them also? I've never cut threads onto anything before, but it can be done, no?

At any rate, I'm going to get it going with what I have. But I like to have the research done for parts I'll need so that when I need to order, I know what I'm getting. I'm open to anything really.

Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 04-02-2015 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:13 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

If you wanted to use a different set of shocks but not deal with huge length look at a few touring car shocks from 3 racing. Might be a little short but you don't need a much suspension travel on a smaller master truck build
M03M-13/LB/V2
and put a rod end in that accepts a 3mm shaft with a ball that uses a 2 mm screw. Basically the rod ends used on the mrc lower links might beef them up a little.
T_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 07:36 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I used those shocks on my extended chassis merv build.
Old 04-02-2015, 07:53 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Tank View Post
...and put a rod end in that accepts a 3mm shaft with a ball that uses a 2 mm screw. Basically the rod ends used on the mrc lower links might beef them up a little.
I never thought to use the stock lower link rod ends on shocks. Thanks for the idea! That answers a few questions I had myself about getting shortened SCX10 shocks to work with the stock M2 link tabs.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:12 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Yup, stock MRC lower links are 3mm thread, with a 2mm pivot ball.

Take the SCX end off, screw an MRC link end on and you're bolted up to the stock axle mount.

The length shouldn't be an issue with a custom build like you're doing.

Honestly, you've mounted a Merv tranny at this point, is shock length going to throw you off?

Spring cups may be an issue. The stock MRC ones don't fit the link mounts....we'll work that out with some input from the board.

Big tires, and high speed; you really need the extra fluid volume to keep things in check.

I'm a comp crawler guy, so I don't know squat; but this build needs big shocks...
Old 04-03-2015, 12:12 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

ya know may seam overkill but some gmade XD shocks may be good to look at they be colossal bore compared to stock mrc shocks but give you enough volume to tune like crazy.

those are a little shorter then stock but you should look to lower the truck least till the lower links are parallel with the chassis plate or slightly lower when drooped.

Remember you'll want a softer spring rate an stiffer sway bars on a shafty if you stiffen the shocks to much to fight torque twist the truck will be to bouncy.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:13 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Well, at this point, what if I use traxxas shocks, which I have?

I was thinking I could make a sort of triangular shaped plate that mounts to the last two holes on the tips of the chassis plates, which has holes drilled in it to accommodate upper shock mounts?

Determining proper placement of those holes would get me into unknown territory. Determining the right angle to set the shock and such.

While they don't give me threaded preload, the trx ultras are good shocks, and I'm very familiar with them. I could use rusty fronts, which are a tad shorter. Or, I could go with the gtr shocks from the slash ultimate, which I have fallen in love with, if they aren't too big to work.

Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 04-03-2015 at 05:22 AM.
Old 04-03-2015, 06:35 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Anyone wanna sell me a partial mrc roller? Lol
Old 04-03-2015, 05:30 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Hmmm. About 45 seconds of filing and the traxxas ultras fit on the bottom. I'm assuming with creativity figuring out the top wouldn't be hard.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:23 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Alright, let's take a vote. I don't have a full set of ultras like I thought I did, not without robbing a vehicle.

So, I'll have to order. Both are reasonable. The ultras have preload spacers, but no threaded adjustability.

Do the scx10 shocks use the same sized pivot ball up top as the stock mrc shocks? If they do, that will make mounting the top easy peazy.

Anyhow, scx10 shocks, or traxxas rustler front length ultras?

I've also just thought about limiting the shock length with fuel tubing inside the shock, but that also limits travel a fair bit. Something I'd like to avoid, at least until I see how much shock travel I'll use.

Do I need to attempt to keep the shocks at a similar angle as stock, or would standing up straighter be okay?

Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 04-04-2015 at 07:35 AM.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:58 AM   #18
RCC Addict

I know nothing of the Ultras.

SCX shocks have a 3mm pivot ball in the top cap.

Toss the MRC pop-on pivot balls in the parts bin for later, and just bolt the SCX's on with standard 3mm hardware.

Length seems to be the question. The Ultra picture above gives me the impression they are quite short.

If you insist on stock mount locations, they may be better.

SCX shocks are too long for a mini.....but you're not building a mini......so it seems only you know the answer, in that regard.

I've got a complete set here I'm not using. PM me if you decide to go the SCX route.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:03 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Those ultras are from the traxxas touring car, and yes are very short. The ones on a rustler are 95ish mm. The ones pictures could maybe work if this was an on road truck. Lol.

I have no idea how I would mount shocks anywhere besides stock location, honestly. I'd love to figure out how to shorten them a bit, at the top or the bottom of the shaft.

I don't see much to bolt a plate onto the chassis in the corners to extend it to mount shocks to, especially while keeping the top plate bolted in place.

I'm always up for a good deal though .

I also thought I could set the shocks up with a lot of droop and snip the springs to mount stock?
Old 04-04-2015, 11:24 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Think mrc shocks are 74mm eye to eye so those touring ultras would be much better to use than the very loooong scx10 shocks.

If you had some 3mm plate or some spare cutting board could make some shock towers of sorts

could make some custom shock mounting tabs to bring the top pivot of the shocks forward for better suspension movement and at that point really need to avoid shocks longer than 75mm without the truck riding to high and not able to have enough down travel.

Good upgrade shocks? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want to upgrade shocks Bcarson138 Axial Wraith 23 12-04-2014 05:19 PM
What shocks would work as upgrade?? ZippoMan G-Made Sawback 13 07-08-2014 01:21 AM
looking to upgrade shocks m1009cucv Tamiya XC/CC01 8 03-11-2011 06:27 PM
Good Upgrade for Stock AX10 shocks? alexchen86 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 3 12-15-2009 03:38 PM
upgrade shocks Azcats1 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 7 08-30-2007 09:43 AM