Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Mini-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: Codyboy's MRC that wants to be........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2015, 11:27 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Codyboy's MRC that wants to be........

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
Lookin good man! Your ESC/wiring looks almost identical to mine. If it helps at all, check out the little tray I made that holds either the RX or ESC behind the trans in my Infectious car. It may very well be what you need to tuck some things away, but it all still gets tight quick. As the saying goes, 10 pounds of "stuff" in a 5 pound bag. Or, in this case, 5 pounds of "stuff" in a 2 pound car...
Thanks for the info Brian, I will check that out. My goal is to get it all on the tray behind the servo mount. I have everything water sealed and the servo will run directally off of the battery, so no 3 cell. I really don't see a need for them in this rig? Do you or anyone else have speed control programming suggestions for rock crawling.
Did you check out the closed cell foams in your tires? They are cut from a Goodwill find. I love to repurpose and recycle!
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-08-2015, 11:42 AM   #42
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Thanks for the info Brian, I will check that out. My goal is to get it all on the tray behind the servo mount. I have everything water sealed and the servo will run directally off of the battery, so no 3 cell. I really don't see a need for them in this rig? Do you or anyone else have speed control programming suggestions for rock crawling.
Did you check out the closed cell foams in your tires? They are cut from a Goodwill find. I love to repurpose and recycle!
I run a 3 cell in my Infectious car, but I actually don't care for it. It's just not really that punchy for as much voltage as there is on tap, the motor runs hot, and the bottom end goes to $hit even with gearing. I am starting to believe that 3s is just beyond the effeciency of the motor, and the extra voltage is being burned up as heat, losses at the brushes, and leading to the poor performance. I also noticed that 3s has taken it's toll on the brushes and comm of my motor. Both are pretty chewed up and pitted after only 3-4 packs, which leads me to believe that the extra voltage is creating arching, and eroding my comm and brushes. Luckily, nothing has actually burnt, and those little heli motors only cost me about $4 shipped each when I order 10 at a time.

As far as ESC settings, I haven't a clue. I usually just play with the throttle curve over and over till I find what I need. Drag brake and other settings should be similar. Find what works for you.

Yes, I did check out the foams. I've never played around with closed cell foams other than in my Slash, but i REALLY like the feel of them. Almost makes me wander if I shouldn't be running some in my scale build as well. I have some foam that feels similar, so maybe I'll steal an idea or two from the set you made me, and make a little bigger set for the larger tires. BTW, a huge thanks again for the tires and foams. It will be a while till I get back to tinkering with the mini, but when I do those will be mounted first.
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 12:21 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
I run a 3 cell in my Infectious car, but I actually don't care for it. It's just not really that punchy for as much voltage as there is on tap, the motor runs hot, and the bottom end goes to $hit even with gearing. I am starting to believe that 3s is just beyond the effeciency of the motor, and the extra voltage is being burned up as heat, losses at the brushes, and leading to the poor performance. I also noticed that 3s has taken it's toll on the brushes and comm of my motor. Both are pretty chewed up and pitted after only 3-4 packs, which leads me to believe that the extra voltage is creating arching, and eroding my comm and brushes. Luckily, nothing has actually burnt, and those little heli motors only cost me about $4 shipped each when I order 10 at a time.

As far as ESC settings, I haven't a clue. I usually just play with the throttle curve over and over till I find what I need. Drag brake and other settings should be similar. Find what works for you.

Yes, I did check out the foams. I've never played around with closed cell foams other than in my Slash, but i REALLY like the feel of them. Almost makes me wander if I shouldn't be running some in my scale build as well. I have some foam that feels similar, so maybe I'll steal an idea or two from the set you made me, and make a little bigger set for the larger tires. BTW, a huge thanks again for the tires and foams. It will be a while till I get back to tinkering with the mini, but when I do those will be mounted first.
I use hole saws to cut the inside and out side diameters on the closed cell. I just change the saw size to to work on tuning. These foams make a huge difference for side hilling support. I made a jig for my wood lathe to cut the chamfer on the inside to help clear the beadlock.
I also make these foams out of the black pipe insulation and contact glue. They work just as good, but don't look as clean. But who cares how they look when they are on the inside of the tire! If you want, give me your tire size and wheel dia and I can do a set for your scaler.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:00 PM   #44

Hi,
With Dravpnir rear upper link and servo mount,I can use the standard rod ends or I must use bigger rod ends?
Thanks
BigDaddy95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015, 05:56 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddy95 View Post
Hi,
With Dravpnir rear upper link and servo mount,I can use the standard rod ends or I must use bigger rod ends?
Thanks
You could probably figure out a way to use the stock rod ends with shims or inserts. I used Lunsford 4-40 titanium screws for most all the screws on this build. The 3mm traxxas rod ends are a lot stronger and don't look that out of place on a 1/18th scale truck. You could even use 1/8th SS tubing and make your own links.

Last edited by CODYBOY; 06-08-2015 at 05:59 PM.
Old 06-09-2015, 08:46 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Finally got all the electronics in!!!! All of it is on the Drav Tech's servo mount/ electronics tray. I had to use a shoe horn, but it fit.

I had all the electronics in and ready to put the motor in. OOOpppppppsssssss the pinion on the motor shaft doesn't match up with the spur gear!!! The motor has a short shaft, I need a spacer!! So I found a piece of 1/8th" alum scrap and off to the drill press. I used a hole saw to punch out a slug, cleaned it up on the lathe and drilled some holes. Now I'm ready to put the motor in. If you look closely you can see it in the pics. I guess it's called learn as you go.

Old 06-10-2015, 08:51 AM   #47
I wanna be Dave

First trip to the rocks! Photos from "my wifes rock garden"

Now to see if I remember how to tune a rock crawler. I can see I need to lower the body. Although recovery was pretty good.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:05 AM   #48
Rock Crawler

Dang. I'd shed a tear if I scratched such a pretty paint job. How does it do climbing vert? I'd think those weights would really plant the front.
MountainStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 11:01 AM   #49
I wanna be Dave

I was able to hit some lines that I use to be able to do with my comp crawler, keeping mind that my driving skills have a lot left to be desired!
But it did surprise me!
And for the body, I know the guy that painted it! His cost is pretty cheap for me!
Old 06-18-2015, 08:05 PM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Boy, this thread seems to have become a little quiet. Hopefully it's because everyone's out enjoying the summer!

I desided I wanted to add a little wheel weight to my fronts, but I didn't really want to cut up my foams!! So I chucked the wheels up in my lathe slotted two sets so my weights set flush in the wheel. This allowed me to put a little over an oz. in each of them.